Medium Pacers in Tests

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd say Bracken is medium fast, which can be classified as 'medium pacer'.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I'd say anyone who can have the keeper up to them is classed as a medium pacer.

Anyways, wouldn't the accuracy idea be the same case for spinners as well? Why do they succeed in both tests and ODI's?

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd say Bracken is medium fast, which can be classified as 'medium pacer'.

Even though it still has the 'fast' bit in it?

Bracken normally bowls low 80s. He isn't comparable to Collingwood, Lewis, Waugh, etc.

Sureshot

Executive member
Why are medium pacers so mediocre in test matches? They are amazing in ODI's, probably because of their military line and length and the pressure on the batsman is to score runs.
But, isn't this also kind of the case with spinners?
Look at Nathan Brackan. He's Australia's best/second best bowler in the 50 over game. But give him the whites, he's average.

Have their been any successfully medium's in the long format?

By medium-pacers, I'm talking of the Praveen Kumars, Paul Collingwoods, Nathan Brackans, not the Zaheer's, ect. (Not Medium-Fast).

Is pace required in test matches to claim wickets?

Bracken normally bowls low 80s. He isn't comparable to Collingwood, Kumar, etc.

Happy, Mr manee?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australia use to have a few part time medium pacers that could swing the ball like Martyn and to some extent Ponting. But because of their lack of speed the batsmen can readjust their shot to account for the movement.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I feel that any type of bowler can be effective. A medium pacer needs to do two things if they want to succeed in tests: they need to be accurate, they need to move the ball either in the air or off the seam. As Sly says, Damien Martyn did a good job and Steve Waugh also took a few wickets as well with gentle swing and a well disguised slower ball out the back of the hand.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
On Bracken hes definitely no medium pacer. He can get as high as 140, and is usually high 130s. If hes called a medium pacer then we may as well bring in McGrath, Pollock and co.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ok i spelt it wrong, Mcgrath.
Do you mean McGarth?
mcgarth_wideweb__430x302.jpg

venom2011

Club Cricketer
Guys bowling consistently between 125Kph-133Kph have to do something with the ball. Incl. Seam movement, swing, bounce. As well as have unnerving accuracy.

McGrath (and possibly Asif) had all these qualities. Unfortunately most players, Bracken and Pollock included, do not.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
That's what made Kumars so successful in the ODI arena. He had bounce and a touch of swing. Will be interesting seeing how he goes in the Test arena as I wouldn't call his pace medium.

Users who are viewing this thread