Member's Articles Revamp Ideas

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The ideas are good for a forum whose cricket chat forum is buzzing with many threads about many different diverse subjects but this is not the case currently at PC. The two threads with activity are the Australia Vs India tour thread and the Symonds racial abuse thread. Add English members to the mix and you have the demographic of the forum - predominantly three nationalities but that is not half the problem.

For the record though, your suggestions are very good, we just need more article writing and better article writing first.
If you read the articles in the members forum from a critical point of view, few of them are very good and although I am yet to see a poor article, there is nothing worthy of competing with cricinfo or even a cricketweb (whose articles I particularly find well written).

May I ask why you think a member would choose PC (if we write more articles) over cricketweb or cricinfo as an article source? That is an honest question, not meaning to be harsh.
Before a revamp which no doubt will initially bring a influx of new members, not only do the amount of articles written be increased but also the quality. It is not quality or quantity, it is both!

I for one will re-join the news team if this happens and i think many more will aswell which means we will have more articles and the article writing isn't going to get better by just sitting here talking about writing articles, we have to practise and get critism.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I for one will re-join the news team if this happens and i think many more will aswell which means we will have more articles and the article writing isn't going to get better by just sitting here talking about writing articles, we have to practise and get critism.

Spot on, mate.
And even with the system we have, we're not getting credit or even acknowledgeable for taking a good hour or two out to write an article.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think we need some Admin support in here! They haven't said a peep about our new ideas!

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
We seriously need some more support. We want this to happen.
I speak on the behalf of the News Team (the ones who want to be on it and the ones who were before) want this to happen.
What we were doing before was a total waste of time- we'd research for a good period of time and then write the article, and get no recognition whatsoever from the community.
We want to write articles, we want support from the forum. We want a better way to show our work, a more organized and professional enviornment.
Why can't we do this?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
We seriously need some more support. We want this to happen.
I speak on the behalf of the News Team (the ones who want to be on it and the ones who were before) want this to happen.
What we were doing before was a total waste of time- we'd research for a good period of time and then write the article, and get no recognition whatsoever from the community.
We want to write articles, we want support from the forum. We want a better way to show our work, a more organized and professional enviornment.
Why can't we do this?

Maybe the admins have taken on board your suggestions and are working on them as we speak...

Then again...maybe not.

Believe what you wish:D

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
There are plenty of websites that already offer articles on cricket, so I don't think PlanetCricket would have anything to gain from labelling the News Team as their flagship and focus. That isn't supposed to be in a demeaning way at all, it's just that we have been beaten to it.

Also, since the target audience of PlanetCricket is now teenage boys, they have school and sport commitments to juggle with writing articles for the site, so it is impractical to have a roster forcing each member of the News Team to write a certain amount a week.

I agree that the News Team isn't given enough credit though. I would be all for an Article of the Month competition.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
There are plenty of websites that already offer articles on cricket, so I don't think PlanetCricket would have anything to gain from labelling the News Team as their flagship and focus. That isn't supposed to be in a demeaning way at all, it's just that we have been beaten to it.

What if other forums/sites offer cricket articles?
Can't we do the same? Who knows, our members can be better, we can attract new members, just add a new dimension to this site.

Make it the focus? No. Cricket Games and Patches will always be the number one reason why PC exists. I want the article section to be like the Cricket Chat Forum. A sideliner but a great sideliner indeed.

Look at the GFX section: Crachillions of other sites have GFX boards or are totally devoted to it, but we still have a section for them.
Why can't the writers?

Yes, alot of members are now teenage boys, with busy schedules and what not. I am one of them.
But we still have time in the day to come to PC, right? And soon I hope it will be popular enough so that even the older members will want to join.

Maybe the admins have taken on board your suggestions and are working on them as we speak...

Then again...maybe not.

Believe what you wish:D

Ahh..spit it out already! :p

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors

Also, since the target audience of PlanetCricket is now teenage boys, they have school and sport commitments to juggle with writing articles for the site, so it is impractical to have a roster forcing each member of the News Team to write a certain amount a week.

I agree that the News Team isn't given enough credit though. I would be all for an Article of the Month competition.

It will give a whole new look to PC. Yes you can go on cricetweb of Cricinfo but it will be just as easy to find a report here on PC if we do this idea.
Like Cricketman93 said it will atrract new members etc..

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Well i've gone ahead and made a blog. Which I hope I will actively be posting in.
Here it is: bluecricketblog.blogspot.com
I'll be posting all the articles both here and there. Compare the link above to this.
It's easy to see which is easier to read. And the use of pictures in the middle of the paragraph makes it look far more professional.

Manee said he wanted more/better article writing first. Well, let's give him that.
Let's all make a blog and post it here. When/if we do get our idea's approved, we can change the domain names to something like planetcricket.org/bluecricket or something.

Let's take it in our own hands!

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Thanks Matt.

I have just justified my rants. I havn't gotten one post in my article thread here at PC in over 24 hours. Even the "Dhoni Cuts Hair!" thread got more attention then something which actually took me time to research, post, edit, and "spice" it up to it's full potential.
Anyways, I'll keep writing em.
More article writing you shall get!

Users who are viewing this thread