Mitchell Marsh - Not ready for international cricket

cricketmad09

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
There has been a lot of hype around Mitchell Marsh the last few months in while watching the BBL semi-final tonight I saw that 62% of people think that he is in Australia's best T20 XI.

That is not true at all. Mitchell Marsh is not in our best T20 XI and nowhere near ready for international cricket. Marsh still has to develop a lot of consistency in his game. He really struggles to put both his batting and his bowling together in the same period of time. When it comes to his bowling, he can bowl some decent deliveries but needs to develop a lot more consistency with his line and length because when he can get smashed around the park quite easily. Before today's match he had taken only 1 wicket in the BBL at an average of 115 odd.

Now when it comes to his batting he also has issues with consistency. His first class average is only 22, despite having scored a century last season. It was 19 before the start of the season, only boosted this season by cameos in unpressurized situations. His batting in the Ryobi Cup has been poor this season as well. Also in this seasons BBL he has a below par strike rate of only 117 despite hitting 15 sixes throughout the tournament. This shows that he faces a lot of dot balls, thus hasn't developed the consistency in his batting and his strokeplay to score the singles and two's instead of the dots. At the moment he is a 1 in 5 innings player when it comes to his power hitting.

Before people start calling me a hater, I actually don't mind Mitch Marsh. I know he's talented and has still achieved a lot more than most 20 year old cricketers, but I just think that it's better that he spends more time playing first class cricket and learning how to become a more consistent performing player before we start putting him on a pedestal and having him play against international teams that are simply too good for him to be able to develop that consistency in all areas needed for the game.

Also on the subject of all-rounders, Moises Henriques is the most overrated player in Australian cricket. Not quite good enough with the bat, not quite good enough with the ball and seldom delivers any performances that'll win you a match.

formula1man

International Cricketer
There has been a lot of hype around Mitchell Marsh the last few months in while watching the BBL semi-final tonight I saw that 62% of people think that he is in Australia's best T20 XI.

That is not true at all. Mitchell Marsh is not in our best T20 XI and nowhere near ready for international cricket. Marsh still has to develop a lot of consistency in his game. He really struggles to put both his batting and his bowling together in the same period of time. When it comes to his bowling, he can bowl some decent deliveries but needs to develop a lot more consistency with his line and length because when he can get smashed around the park quite easily. Before today's match he had taken only 1 wicket in the BBL at an average of 115 odd.

Now when it comes to his batting he also has issues with consistency. His first class average is only 22, despite having scored a century last season. It was 19 before the start of the season, only boosted this season by cameos in unpressurized situations. His batting in the Ryobi Cup has been poor this season as well. Also in this seasons BBL he has a below par strike rate of only 117 despite hitting 15 sixes throughout the tournament. This shows that he faces a lot of dot balls, thus hasn't developed the consistency in his batting and his strokeplay to score the singles and two's instead of the dots. At the moment he is a 1 in 5 innings player when it comes to his power hitting.

Before people start calling me a hater, I actually don't mind Mitch Marsh. I know he's talented and has still achieved a lot more than most 20 year old cricketers, but I just think that it's better that he spends more time playing first class cricket and learning how to become a more consistent performing player before we start putting him on a pedestal and having him play against international teams that are simply too good for him to be able to develop that consistency in all areas needed for the game.

Also on the subject of all-rounders, Moises Henriques is the most overrated player in Australian cricket. Not quite good enough with the bat, not quite good enough with the ball and seldom delivers any performances that'll win you a match.

as much as I love the Marsh family (haha) I agree with you there. Him and Peter Forrest I reckon need 1-2 years to develop their game a bit more, Marsh closer to two. He is quite a decent bowler this year in the shield, but his batting hasnt impressed me yet. I think by the time Shane Watson is ready for retirement as he cuts back his workload, Mitch should be ready to slot straight in. I think he has more work to do on his batting then bowling, but hey he's 20 so he has plenty of time. Just hope he doesnt fall off the radar, coz australia could really benefit from him.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Has Marsh ever gone and had a season playing Cricket anywhere? Like Club cricket I mean? He seems to me like because of his name partly and his potential, that he's been fast-tracked in the Aussie system. Whereas you look years ago and even guys who did play International cricket early, like Steve Waugh, still took their winters to go and play Club cricket in places like England. Just seems to me that Marsh could learn a lot from doing that kind of thing and being the played that is relied on in the team, rather than him doing well being a bit of a bonus. Learning some responsibility in his cricket can only make him better for me.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I haven't seen the bigbash, but based on what i saw of him in the one-day internationals/twenty20s during australia recent tour to in south africa - i would say he is best back-up quick-bowling all-round to Watson compared to guys like christian and hastings.

Thus he should be in all limited overs squads at least - but i wont say he should be a fixture in the starting xi as yet.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

People rate Moises Henriques?? Maybe 3-5 years ago they thought he was a player of great promise, but I think now we've seen that he's nothing special. I think he gets a spot now for team balance as much as talent.

Has Marsh ever gone and had a season playing Cricket anywhere? Like Club cricket I mean? He seems to me like because of his name partly and his potential, that he's been fast-tracked in the Aussie system. Whereas you look years ago and even guys who did play International cricket early, like Steve Waugh, still took their winters to go and play Club cricket in places like England. Just seems to me that Marsh could learn a lot from doing that kind of thing and being the played that is relied on in the team, rather than him doing well being a bit of a bonus. Learning some responsibility in his cricket can only make him better for me.

Well unfortunately hardly anyone does that these days. Look at guys like Pattinson, Cummins, Warner and before them Steve Smith. They've been fast tracked into the national side with little first class experience. And yes Marsh has gone to play cricket somewhere: Pune Warriors in the IPL last season. And to be honest if you want to make the T20 Australia side, that's where he SHOULD be playing.

Anyway, as for the point of discussion: If Steve Smith had enough potential to get an Australian T20 bib, then surely Mitch Marsh does too. I guess the point of contention being that they do different roles. Marsh would have to fight with Watson and Christian for a spot. And I'd be a bit disappointed if Christian in particular is overlooked just because Marsh has potential. Who's going to be the best in September's World Cup, should be the question to answer.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
No reason why he can't gain valuable experience against International opposition while playing Shield cricket. There is gaps in the schedule and we have our rotation policy to allow Mitch to get the best of both worlds.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Big fan of Mitch, being a West Aussie.

Would love to see him in the Australian sides down the track but yeah he is nowhere near int. level yet.

He definitely has more talent then his brother, thats for sure. So as long as he keeps his Marsh surname, the selectors will eventually give him a good run.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
overrated is probably the wrong word for henriques. enigmatic perhaps? in that his eternal, unwavering presence in nsw teams is an inexplicable phenomenon.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Consistency is definitely the key for Marsh. Looks rubbish one day, a million bucks the next. But where's he going to learn consistency? In our increasingly journeyman Shield competition, or in and around the Australian side? There are plenty of players who've talked about the step up in professionalism and preparation at the international level. Let's keep him exposed to that, IMO.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Big fan of Mitch, being a West Aussie.

Would love to see him in the Australian sides down the track but yeah he is nowhere near int. level yet.

He definitely has more talent then his brother, thats for sure. So as long as he keeps his Marsh surname, the selectors will eventually give him a good run.

I don't know about that. Shaun Marsh has bags of talent, it's in his head where he lets himself down.

I think long-term that Mitch will have that all over his brother.

It's very hard to be a good all-rounder when you are very young, he's developing all the time but I wouldn't want him ANYWHERE NEAR the test team for a couple of years or more and just filling in in the ODI team.

Trouble with the youngsters is that they play at 7 in odis and have to come out and slog straight away. Neither Steve Smith, who suffered from this position or Mitch Marsh are actually like that as a batsman. Mitch can smack it out of the park but he needs to play himself in.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I saw him play for Pune Warriors in the IPL. Seemed decent. No harm in giving him a go. Better to blossom him than continue with players like Dan Christian, John Hasting. Make him part of the team, he has a good 15 years of cricket.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Consistency is definitely the key for Marsh. Looks rubbish one day, a million bucks the next. But where's he going to learn consistency? In our increasingly journeyman Shield competition, or in and around the Australian side? There are plenty of players who've talked about the step up in professionalism and preparation at the international level. Let's keep him exposed to that, IMO.

He's just had two matches in a row where he was the Scorchers' best player while being their youngest by some way and that in the finals. Like I said, I think he's got a very diffferent temperamental make-up to his brother.

cricketmad09

International Coach
He did play well tonight, however he could only score singles at the death instead of being able slam a few sixes home. That's what I was talking about earlier. At the moment he doesn't quite have the ability or the knowledge to dictate the play and play the shots that he wants off each ball.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
He did play well tonight, however he could only score singles at the death instead of being able slam a few sixes home. That's what I was talking about earlier. At the moment he doesn't quite have the ability or the knowledge to dictate the play and play the shots that he wants off each ball.

Now that was interesting. They had a proper plan to Marsh when Lee was on you could see that clearly and Lee bowled beautifully. No-one could latch on to him properly. I thought he forgotten his yorkers - he's really in love with the ***ing long hop these days - but he was zinging them in. I thought it was excellent bowling by an experienced bowler to a green young 'un. I've seen Lee do this in domestic T20 a lot. He was amazing in the first Champion's League series. Had an economy rate of like 6 or so? When he's on, he's really on.

I'm not even sure Marsh has batted for WA in T20 more than once before this season. And he hasn't batted much n the IPL, maybe 5 times? He'll learn. I think CA sees a lot of raw talent, that's why he has been elevated so soon but I'd rather he just played Shield for now.

I hope Christian will be given chances in the Aus team to prove whether he's got what it takes at top level. He's been a bit stitched up selectorially.

I'm a Warriors fan in case it's not totally obvious and OSOS and NCN are about all we have coming up through the ranks. Lean times out West.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread