MMA/UFC Thread

Looks like we're going to see Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort. Marquardt vs Henderson has been rumoured to have been confirmed for UFC 107 iirc. Also looking like we'll be seeing Thiago Silva step in to replace the newly 'retired' Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson to face Rashad Evans at UFC 108. The event I'm looking forward to though is 106, it's looking a seriously stacked card:

Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
Tito Ortiz vs Mark Coleman
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Luiz Cane
Jon Fitch vs Ricardo Almeida
Karo Parisyan vs Dustin Hazelett

That is one of the best cards I've seen for a long time. Going to be some quality fights that night.

Also, looks like Dan Hardy will be taking on Mike Swick at UFC 105 :D Apparently Dong-Hyun Kim has come down with an injury, so Swick's stepped in. Makes for a MUCH better fight for me. Massive challenge for Hardy, but a much more exciting fight. Looking forward to 105.

Looks like we're going to see Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort. Marquardt vs Henderson has been rumoured to have been confirmed for UFC 107 iirc. Also looking like we'll be seeing Thiago Silva step in to replace the newly 'retired' Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson to face Rashad Evans at UFC 108. The event I'm looking forward to though is 106, it's looking a seriously stacked card:

Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
Tito Ortiz vs Mark Coleman
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Luiz Cane
Jon Fitch vs Ricardo Almeida
Karo Parisyan vs Dustin Hazelett

Im not as excited about this card as you. Of course I want to see Lesnar and Carwin but Ortiz vs Coleman is one of the worst match ups ever. It might turn out to be like Ortiz vs Shamrock. I expect Coleman to be gassed by the middle of the 1st round.
The other fights look okay, want to see if Parisyan can put on a good performance or just be the old Parisyan.

Im more excited about UFC 104.

Shogun just got robbed, that was the worst decision in the history of the UFC. Shogun was the better fighter all around, have to feel for the guy. He clearly won the fight and the UFC does this to him, awful.

Massive over-reaction from 90% of the MMA community. I think Machida landed more shots, and gained octagon control by not allowing Shogun to get the fight to the ground, stopping at least 4 takedowns (which we know score big points with the judges, you can effectively win a fight on takedowns alone). Joe Rogan kept mentioning Shogun's countering, but failed to mention any of Machida's counters. Often when Rogan would be praising a Rua counter, Machida would have got one in after Shogun's initial counter. Rua won rounds 2 and 5 for me, but I had Machida winning 1, 3 and 4 when I watched it back.

It was an incredibly close fight, and on first view I thought Shogun was robbed, and I was cheering him on, as I'm a big fan of his, but I can definitely see why all 3 judges scored it 48-47. The Bisping-Hamill decision was far worse than this one, as at least Machida did land quite alot of technical strikes and counters, and will have scored very good points with the judges for octagon control in stopping Rua's takedowns. Think this decision'll split people for a while. I want a rematch!

Also, forget the decision for a minute. Just applaud the fight. One of, if not the fight of the year so far, maybe 2nd to Sanchez-Guida, but an epic fight all the same. Machida took more punishment than he ever has, and still pulled out a decision in the judges eyes. Major respect from alot of people for Shogun as well, who was a massive under-dog. I certainly didn't see him put up that much of a battle, but he was in shape and fought a clever fight. It certainly wasn't one of the worst decisions of all-time though, nowhere near, was a stupidly close fight; I just happen to agree with the judges decision. It was a close fight that led to a close decision. All this talk of UFC corruption is ludicrous, especially when the judges aren't even employed by the UFC and the UFC have no say in the decision.

Machida-Shogun

Take a look at those KP.

Shogun was the one pressing the action and when Machida came in Shogun made him pay with brutal leg kicks and body kicks. Anybody with a solid pair of eyes and a bit of knowledge of MMA could see that Shogun was winning the fight.
The fight was brilliant but the decision took all the shine away from the fight. Disappointing.

Sorry, you're not saying that I don't have any knowledge on MMA just because I don't agree with you are you? =/

I'd seen the Fightmetric thing before, but as mentioned on MMAF on more than one occassion, there's no scientific method behind their scoring. It's just some bloke watching the fight and counting the shots, which means it's incredibly subjective. It's certainly not proof that Shogun won, as Fightmetric had Rampage beating Forrest, which I certainly don't agree with.

I'm not too fussed about the decision. It could have gone to Machida, it could have gone to Shogun. My point is that it was not robbery, and it was not a clear-cut decision. If you watch the fight back and ignore the clearly biased views of Joe Rogan, you'd see that. It was an incredibly close, technical battle that should be getting praised as one of the fights of the year. It's a shame it's being brought down by what I consider to be frankly ridiculous claims of daylight robbery.

Sorry, you're not saying that I don't have any knowledge on MMA just because I don't agree with you are you? =/

I was actually referring to the judges scoring the fight...

I'm not too fussed about the decision. It could have gone to Machida, it could have gone to Shogun. My point is that it was not robbery, and it was not a clear-cut decision. If you watch the fight back and ignore the clearly biased views of Joe Rogan, you'd see that. It was an incredibly close, technical battle that should be getting praised as one of the fights of the year. It's a shame it's being brought down by what I consider to be frankly ridiculous claims of daylight robbery.

In my opinion Shogun won the fight. I don't know how they can even score that in favor of Machida when the damage was mostly on him. I didn't see Machida wining the 3 rounds, 2 at the most.

Shogun clearly won the fight. He might have played a little safe and didn't rush Machida as much but machida is so elusive that one wrong move and Shugun could have risked getting KO
With every clean shot machida landed Shogun countered with leg kicks and kicks in the mid region
Those judges are just moron's to rob Shogun of the victory. I was so wishing Shogun to win and get a face off with Anderson Silva for LHW title fight.

anyone else watch the "Fight Camp 360: Fedor vs Rogers".

always amazes me how calm and down to earth Fedor is. Its going to be a great night for MMA fans and I'm expecting a Fedor win. Rogers is good but still raw and a mostly one dimensional fighter.
Also on the card is Mousasi vs Sokoudjou, this one should be interesting and a good challenge for Mousasi.

Wierd this thread caught my eye.

I'm living with a guy who was once one of England's best fighters a couple of years ago (MMA I believe). Useless information as I'm not going name him, he doesn't fight anymore as he's moved down from the lakes to Manchester for uni.

anyone else watch the "Fight Camp 360: Fedor vs Rogers".

always amazes me how calm and down to earth Fedor is. Its going to be a great night for MMA fans and I'm expecting a Fedor win. Rogers is good but still raw and a mostly one dimensional fighter.
Also on the card is Mousasi vs Sokoudjou, this one should be interesting and a good challenge for Mousasi.

It's looking a decent card. Fedor vs Rogers will be a good fight. Then you've got Shields vs Miller, Mousasi vs Sokoudjou and Fabricio Werdum vs Antonio Silva. Should be a good night of fights. I didn't think we'd get it in the UK, but it's actually on :D Bravo 9pm on Sunday for fellow UK watchers. I'm just going to have to avoid reading any MMA forums and news sites so that I don't find out who wins before Sunday :D I see Fedor, Shields, Mousasi and Werdum winning fairly easily though tbh, especially Fedor and Mousasi.

There's some quality talent on display. Come on Fedor :D I love the guy, can't help but worry every fight that he's due a loss. Rogers has power but Fedor should just get the TD and make him tap or use his g&p.

Can't wait to see Mousasi, the guy is top notch and going to be a star, just a shame he's with M1, same for Fedor. Strikeforce has put on a quality card and there building up a decent group of fighters.

Get Jimmy Wallhead in the UFC.

I thought Rua won btw but it was close.

Marius Žaromskis needs to get into the UFC as well. He's just signed for Strikeforce and is a beast. Won his last 3 fights via Head Kick. That on it's own makes him worth watching. He's not really beaten anyone of any note, but he's winning fights by head kick, awesome. Like Cro Cop but actually kicking people, not fighting crap and blaming it on a slippery octagon.

Users who are viewing this thread