more proof of Clarke too slow

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
I never actually realized his scoring rate was so low for 09. Mind you his career SR for ODIs is around 77 which is alright I suppose, but I definitely think he can score faster. Mind you it also depends on the situation in the game when he comes in to bat.

barto123

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think he's what australia need. Michael Bevans strike rate wasnt exactly spectacular but he did what was nessesary, i think clarke is good in the batting order when we need some solid runs, to avert a total collapse. Australia has plenty of power hitters to call on, i think some good old fashioned grit is always good to have as well, hence why clarke is an important member of the team.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
He's struggling and the problem is, Australia doesn't seem to have enough bench-strength to replace him. The stats make him look downright ridiculous when compared to MS.

Actually, everyone looks ridiculous when compared to MS. MS's average = 70.47. The next best average is 42.78. Sheer dominance there !

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
The next time you make a thread about Clarke being to slow, I will bomb Western Australia.

Just thought you should know that.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
He's struggling and the problem is, Australia doesn't seem to have enough bench-strength to replace him. The stats make him look downright ridiculous when compared to MS.

Actually, everyone looks ridiculous when compared to MS. MS's average = 70.47. The next best average is 42.78. Sheer dominance there !

You should go off topic more..

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think he's what australia need. Michael Bevans strike rate wasnt exactly spectacular but he did what was nessesary, i think clarke is good in the batting order when we need some solid runs, to avert a total collapse. Australia has plenty of power hitters to call on, i think some good old fashioned grit is always good to have as well, hence why clarke is an important member of the team.

I agree. I think that's the role he's been nominated for. The steady guy around whom everyone else can play. Until we can prove otherwise I think it's a bit rich to criticise him too much especially when he's averaging 40+ on the year.

The more I watch Clarke the more I'm convinced that he's a 'partnership player', someone who works extra hard to encourage his partner, to build partnerships and to make sure the innings stays steady. You saw it this summer in the Tests. His individual numbers aren't that great, but he's hanging around and been in as many 50+ partnerships as Watson or Hussey have.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
MS=Massive shirker. On belters of pitches he comes in at three, and then on harder ones against better attack he comes in later to protect his average.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Clarke can't smash around fast bowlers like others in the squad, however his SR is great when playing against sub-continental teams or NZ's Vettori-jam dominated approach.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
MS=Massive shirker. On belters of pitches he comes in at three, and then on harder ones against better attack he comes in later to protect his average.

Yeah, I'm sure his batting average is exactly what he's thinking about when he's playing for the country :facepalm. Seriously...

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors

Maybe because he doesn't need to score steady runs on a belter, but on a tough pitch we need him lower to steady the innings.

Users who are viewing this thread