Munaf Patel

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
was in 36 probables.

it is said he is fast(not med-fast) bowler, only one known from india

from cricinfo,
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The only selection that can be termed as a surprise was that of Munaf Patel, the fast bowler who plays for Mumbai.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

from cricketfundas,
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
A young man, of about 20 was called to Bangalore by John Wright from the MRF Pace Academy in Chennai, where he was training under Dennis Lillee. Yes. he was Munaf Patel, India's new pace bowling sensation. He was specially parachuted in by the Indian management, because of frequent hype about his ability to bowl quick and swing the ball late. He teamed up with other pacers like Sri Santh of Kerala, Saurav Sorkar of Bengal and Amit Uniyal of Punjab as the regular net bowlers to the members of the Indian conditioning camp at Bangalore. There is where, he became a revelation to the Indian team and of course, the Indian Media.

He, of course made his first class debut for India A against the Kiwis at Rajkot and looked more than impressive for a person sans prior match experience. Picking up a player of Nathan Astle's caliber twice in a match is any bowler's dream start to his first class career. Then came the biggest moment of his career thus far. A transfer conducted from his ex-home team Gujarat to Mumbai, which was by the recommendation of none other than Sachin Tendulkar himself. Thus, this young lad from Baruch became now the man for Mumbai. I can recall of one such switch of sides, that has produced one of the lethal weapons of international cricket - Adam Gilchrist. The story goes like this...Gilly found it really difficult to break it into the New South Wales first XI because of rigorous competition. So, sanity prevailed and he chose the WACA as his new home. He went on to play for Western Australia for 2 seasons, before he got a call up for the Aussies and how, his stature in World Cricket cannot be with a shadow of doubt questioned by anyone. Similarly, with Munaf, he has made the right move although it seemed controversial. I feel, his only chance of advancing to the top is playing with a quality side like Mumbai, which by itself gives a competitive atmosphere.

I was at ****hede to witness the tie between Mumbai and Kerala, and was fortunate to see Munaf bowl the first over after lunch - the time I walked in. The tall, lanky quickie took some time to settle in, but it was back to business after the initial warm-up. I think, he's been quick to advance from a boy to a man. And the very fact that when someone plays for a team like Mumbai, he should be mature enough to carry all the glory and the pride associated with wearing the "crowned-lion" cap. Munaf showed a lot of patience, tried many different things initially on the "paata" ****hede wicket, gave it all and extracted some jabbers to the Kerala batsman. His abilities were tested when a right and left handed pair were batting, but he lived up to his potential...some late swing with a pace of 145 kmph or so, that's something one wants to see in a pacer. When he was cover driven by Ajai Kudva for 2 consecutive balls, Munaf altered his length by bowling some deliveries in the uncomfortable zone, and after 2 more deliveries, induced an edge, which ended up in Vinayak Samant's safe gloves.

Traditionally, India is more known for its quality spinners, but over the past few years, the emphasis has shifted to pace-bowling. At the moment, there is intense "race-for-pace" in India with the likes of Balaji, Pathan, Salvi, Nehra and now Munaf, battling it out among themselves for getting themselves written in the selector's lists. I feel, his stay in the Mumbai team would do him more good than harm, simply because of the excellent training base that Mumbai provides and I don't think it would take him long to stride his way into the Indian team. My guess would be that he will wear the blue cap by 2005 and will be one of the quickest India has ever produced.

We from Cricketfundas.com wish Munaf all the very best for his future, and hopefully we will see him don the Indian cap by the earliest.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

if he really is nearly as fast as lee why is he not in team?

Last edited:

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
don't know much, his speed is hyped, but fastest indian anyway,

and a "paata" pitch doesn't offer any pace, if he plays in AUS he'll get more speed

lee said about munaf sometime, speed around 150kph

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/sep/10lee.htm
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Australian speedster Brett Lee says spotting an express fast bowler in Munaf Patel is good news for Indian cricket, but too much public attention could hamper his growth.

"There is a lot of buzz about Munaf. Getting behind him is well and good, but too much of media and public glare could hurt his career," said Lee, at the launch of 'Scorpio Speedster', a talent search programme for the fastest bowler in the country, in Delhi on Wednesday.

I myself went through a similar experience when I made my debut. People must go easy on him at this early stage and allow him to blossom fully," said Lee.

"I have not seen him [Munaf] bowl, but a bowler bowling at 150 kmph is good news for Indian cricket," said the speed-demon, who is in India as the Brand Ambassador of Timex Billennium Watches.

The blonde Australian was a bit taken aback by the papparazzi and flash bulbs but retained his curiousity for the people and activity surrounding a cricketing celebrity.

Although Lee has visited the country twice before, it is the first time that he is coming as a star celebrity to the 'Final Frontier' which he will aim to conquer when he revisits India two months later.

Invariably, the talk turned to allegations of chucking that have plagued almost every fast bowler's career. Lee said the issue was a figment of people's imagination.

"That [the thinking] fast bowlers chuck is an optical illusion. People think 'we can't bowl at 150-160, so how do these guys do it'.

"I had my action scrutinised and then cleared... There is a lot of hyper extension and the wrist too plays an important role when you try to bowl fast.

"But, more importantly, people must realise that one can bowl fast," Lee said.

Lee was on the defensive when faced with the charge that Australians indulge in sledging a little bit too much.

"Sledging is rude when it becomes racist or the remarks are personal. But friendly banter is part and parcel of the game.

"People must realise we play fair and square. There have been one or two instances when it has got out of control but, overall, we enjoy good relations with all the teams on and off he field," he said.

But by Lee's own words, teams need not resort to sledging to win, and it had a very minor role to play in Australia's success in recent years.

"Winning is pretty basic. It is a habit, once you win you try to keep the momentum and continue on that.

"We just try to put our best performance whenever we step on to the field," he said.

On Australia's preparations for the forthcoming triangular one-day series in India, involving New Zealand as the third team, Lee said he had his homework done but everything depends on the day's performance.

"India's top six are the world's best and it is always a challenge to bowl to them. And Sachin [Tendulkar] is a world class player, you can't prepare for him easily.

"We do have our plans but I am not going to discuss them with you. Anyway, everything depends on the performance of the day."
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

you can see munaf is hyped for pace

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
i saw him bowl against NZ in a tour game for the Board Pres XI before the start of NZ tour Of India in 2003 . He bowled quick. He has an unusual action ( a slinging action) but once I saw Mallinga bowl, there was nothing unusual about this guy . He got Nathan Astle LBW twice in the match for 0 .
The guy has some raw talent and I thought Inia should have tried him in the Bangladesh tour at least .

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Munaf...sigh. He is quite aggressive. I read somewhere that he injured a couple of batsmen from dangerous bouncers after being hit for fours.

Ryand

Club Cricketer
Muanf Patel came into the headlines about a couple of years back and still has not played too much cricket for india.Maybe he is being protected and a bi hyped up which we tend to do.But we have to see him to believe him.
Good Luck to him

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
there were some practice matches b/n dravid and sehwag XI

anyone knowing what happened.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The results were in cricinfo. There were good innings' by Venugopal and Raina I think. One of them hit a century.

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
Dravid XI v Sehwag XI, 2005
M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore (day/night)
17 July 2005 (50-over match)

Result: Dravid XI won by 5 wickets (D/L method)

Toss: Dravid XI
Umpires: VN Kulkarni and SK Tarapore
Man of the Match: Y Venugopal Rao

Players per side: 12 (11 bat, 11 field)

Sehwag XI innings (50 overs maximum) R B 4 6
*V Sehwag lbw b Yadav 96 77 13 0
+MS Dhoni b Nehra 5 9 1 0
S Raina b Nehra 2 17 0 0
D Mongia run out (Gambhir) 2 11 0 0
HK Badani c NK Patel b Yadav 22 22 1 1
Y Venugopal Rao c Nehra b Khan 91 99 10 0
DS Jadhav c Santh b Khan 44 54 2 0
AB Agarkar not out 11 10 1 0
IK Pathan run out (Dravid/PA Patel) 3 2 0 0
A Kumble run out (Yadav/PA Patel) 3 2 0 0
L Balaji not out 2 1 0 0
Extras (b 6, lb 7, w 4, nb 4) 21
Total (9 wickets, 50 overs) 302

DNB: A Bhandari.

FoW: 1-27 (Dhoni, 3.6 ov), 2-44 (Raina, 7.4 ov),
3-59 (Mongia, 10.6 ov), 4-108 (Badani, 18.4 ov),
5-168 (Sehwag, 28.4 ov), 6-262 (Jadhav, 44.6 ov),
7-293 (Venugopal Rao, 48.6 ov), 8-297 (Pathan, 49.3 ov),
9-300 (Kumble, 49.5 ov).

Bowling O M R W
Khan 10 0 61 2 (2w)
Nehra 10 0 73 2 (1nb, 2w)
Yadav 10 0 50 2 (2nb)
Santh 5 1 33 0 (1nb)
Harbhajan Singh 10 0 49 0
Sriram 5 0 23 0

Dravid XI innings (target: 237 runs from 39 overs) R B 4 6
G Gambhir lbw b Kumble 47 39 5 1
VVS Laxman c Badani b Kumble 76 77 11 0
Yuvraj Singh c Venugopal Rao b Mongia 42 50 5 0
*R Dravid b Pathan 39 38 3 0
S Sriram c Dhoni b Mongia 3 6 0 0
NK Patel not out 23 16 3 0
Jai P Yadav not out 4 1 1 0
Extras (lb 1, w 2, nb 3) 6
Total (5 wickets, 37.2 overs) 240

DNB: +PA Patel, Harbhajan Singh, Z Khan, A Nehra, S Santh.

FoW: 1-107 (Gambhir, 15.3 ov), 2-152 (Laxman, 23.5 ov),
3-183 (Yuvraj Singh, 29.5 ov), 4-196 (Sriram, 31.2 ov),
5-236 (Dravid, 37.1 ov).

Bowling O M R W
Agarkar 6 0 51 0
Balaji 8 0 38 0 (2nb)
Pathan 7.2 0 59 1 (1w)
Kumble 8 0 43 2
Bhandari 2 0 13 0
Sehwag 3 0 16 0
Mongia 3 0 19 2 (1nb, 1w)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dravid XI target reduced to 237 runs from 39 overs after it rained at 23.4 overs

none got century

raina 2 off 17, rao got great 91 off 99

Sehwag rules 77 ball 96
Laxman 77 ball 76

Feel sorry for pacers :crying :crying :crying

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
this is the way Laxman gets back 101 and 76 in practice matches, Beware Lanka,WI

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It is supposed to be Captain and Coach with the consultation of senior members (such as Sachin, Kumble, Dravid) but I suspect the selectors may try and exert pressure in India.

Users who are viewing this thread