New Zealand to challenge for number 1 test spot in 2/3 years?

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been admiring the way New Zealand have played for quite a while now, going back 2 years when England last toured there. Having watched them closely in the past couple of months, I think they have a real chance at mixing it with SA and Australia over the next 24 months. Perhaps even beating them.

McCullum is obviously an inspirational captain who has decided that the team needs to play with this fearless approach. He himself has been sublime this year, and he can win test matches almost by himself. You add in world class batsman like Williamson and Taylor, and up and coming talents like Latham and Neesham, and you've got a very good batting lineup. Think Watling is half decent also from what I've seen. If only the could get Ryder mentally right and replace Rutherford with him, they'd be very strong.

Their weakest point is their spin bowling, although Craig may improve in the same way that Lyon and Ali have done whilst playing international cricket. But if you look at the seamers, there's 20 wickets there for sure. Boult and Southee are very consistent, and Wagner bowls his heart out. Wagner may not be in the side for too much longer though, as Matt Henry looks outstanding. He could be the icing on an already pretty decent cake.

If England aren't going to dominate test cricket in the next 5 years, then I hope NZ take the crown. If only to stop Australia from doing so.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Doubt so. They will be a formidable opponent, as they have always been at the peak of their powers.
Lack of cricketing fixtures may hold them back in their quest for No.1 spot. That having said, the Numero Uno position can be achieved very easily in the ODI format.

bigred

Club Captain
Doubt so. They will be a formidable opponent, as they have always been at the peak of their powers.
Lack of cricketing fixtures may hold them back in their quest for No.1 spot. That having said, the Numero Uno position can be achieved very easily in the ODI format.

Good point about not playing enough test cricket. They seem to get a lot of 2 test series.

Definitely think they are the dark horses of the WC. Would love to see them do it. As long as they don't beat England along the way.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Kiwis generally do well in World Cups. They are a highly under-rated side who aren't given much of a hope by other experts. They have the arsenal to go all the way; lets hope for the best.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I could see them as WC finalists, although I'm not sure exactly how well they will do in getting over the line. It'd be new territory for them.

Regarding the Test rankings, the two-Test series may actually suit them because they can conserve their energy and really put everything into those two Tests. I believe the ranking points are divided by matches played to give an overall rating, so the number of matches they play shouldn't matter in that regard

bigred

Club Captain
I could see them as WC finalists, although I'm not sure exactly how well they will do in getting over the line. It'd be new territory for them.

Regarding the Test rankings, the two-Test series may actually suit them because they can conserve their energy and really put everything into those two Tests. I believe the ranking points are divided by matches played to give an overall rating, so the number of matches they play shouldn't matter in that regard

Yes but I think it's difficult to improve as a team when you only play 6/7 test matches a year.

blazerix

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't think they'll reach # 1 , but definitely top 2 or 3. They have played so well this year.

Users who are viewing this thread