Next world class spinner?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wivsl/content/player/268739.html
Although classified as a right-arm, slow-medium bowler, Ajantha Mendis is a spinner who bowls a mixture of googlies, offbreaks, top-spinners, flippers and legbreaks. Batsmen have been confounded by the variety of deliveries he has up his sleeve and are at a loss to figure out what his stock delivery is. Mendis was a prolific wicket-taker for Sri Lanka Army in the 2007-08 season and had taken 46 wickets at an average of 10.56 and strike-rate of 31 from six matches. His performances did not go unnoticed for Mendis was called up to the Sri Lanka squad for the tour of West Indies in April 2008.

Ajantha Mendis, will he be the next world class spinner?

Definitely, a bowler with loads of variations can always trouble the batsmen. Most of the Sri-Lankans were successful in spin bowling. But, He may not be in the test squad everywhere so early, i think he will play regular ODs soon.

Why not?
I mean He can bowl Off spin,leg Spin,Top Spin.He has good Domestic records.
He gonna play most of his Matches in Sub-Continent,So I think He will do Good.
Early days for him.But looks to me a good learner.

how can people say this after just one match. no offense he must succeed against teams better than west indies. he has a bright future but its early to call him the next world class spinner.

how can people say this after just one match. no offense he must succeed against teams better than west indies. he has a bright future but its early to call him the next world class spinner.

One match? Hes played in a lot of domestic matches not just international.

I think its not just FC average. He has been very dominant and tricky in FC. If anyone have seen him there He must be agree with me.
Seems to me He sounds even more intelligence than Murli.
I mean we are not declaring him World Class. But Its the quality which We are trying to discuss which can make him great one day..

and that is a fair comparison because murali has played 219 first class matches compared to his 19?
Did i ever say he was "the best ever spinner"?
I think its not just FC average. He has been very dominant and tricky in FC. If anyone have seen him there He must be agree with me.
Seems to me He sounds even more intelligence than Murli.
I mean we are not declaring him World Class. But Its the quality which We are trying to discuss which can make him great one day..

Exactly.

you said can he be a world class spinner. i said its too early. you said he averages less than murali. i said that doesnt prove much its too early to compare him with murali.
bottomline is its too early to say whether he can be a world class spinner. until he plays about 10-15 matches in different conditions against stronger opponents you cant judge his potential.

you said can he be a world class spinner. i said its too early. you said he averages less than murali. i said that doesnt prove much its too early to compare him with murali.
bottomline is its too early to say whether he can be a world class spinner. until he plays about 10-15 matches in different conditions against stronger opponents you cant judge his potential.

See i said he can be a world class spinner and if i started a thread of Shane warne next world class it wouldnt make sense so dont say its too early in a thread which everyone knows its too early.

Bottomline dont get angro yet as you only have about 13 posts.

See i said he can be a world class spinner and if i started a thread of Shane warne next world class it wouldnt make sense so dont say its too early in a thread which everyone knows its too early.

Bottomline dont get angro yet as you only have about 13 posts.
sorry im not a spammer and i have a life. how many posts do i need to make before i have the right to be angry? not that i am angry. i must have missed that in the forum rules.

if you know its too early then why did you make the thread? if its too early then why are people jumping to conclusions in this thread?
i was arguing about people saying that he will be a world class spinner- the two posts above my first post in the thread.

Oh Please. If you are so much concerned about the Rules of the Forum then you must know that there is nothing wrong with this thread.
All the People here are not watching Srilankan Domestic. It just CDM tried to put these youngster up front to discuss. And nothing wrong in that.
if you don't agree its ok Just write your opinion and leave it. Why you desperate to abuse the whole thread?.
Anyway If you check Cricket forums then you will find 10-15 threads about these young players from different Countries.

Last edited:
sorry im not a spammer and i have a life. how many posts do i need to make before i have the right to be angry? not that i am angry. i must have missed that in the forum rules.

if you know its too early then why did you make the thread? if its too early then why are people jumping to conclusions in this thread?
i was arguing about people saying that he will be a world class spinner- the two posts above my first post in the thread.

Have you ever watched Ajantha Mendis bowl?

Users who are viewing this thread