Off drive

ross_ntu

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are other people finding off drives/straight drives difficult to score from? With the mid off always there added to the fact the joystick seems to go from "play cover drive" straight to "play on drive" I'm finding it really hard. Surely it should be easier as they are two well used strokes.

Ross

Just wait for the ball to come just wide enough, advance down the wicket and use the six button and the off drive and you'll score a few fours and sixes over the top.

I can play those shots but the fielders blocks the ball always.

Dont think i've scored a singe off the straight drive it always, always goes to mid off.

Batting seems much much harder in 2005. I cant play the hook or pull, I cant seem to cut either, my highest score is 81!

I don't class Cricket 2005 as sim, for the reason off drives, on drives, cut shots, cover drives are pretty useless to play, if there is an attacking field these shots ALWAYS get stopped...how is that real?

After playing for a while i have been able to score off on/off drives, getting the odd 4 aswell. I dont bother with advancing down the wicket, just wait for a wide-ish half volley or one towards the leg side and try that.........took me about 2 4 day county championship matches to get the hang of it though.

Hope that helps. :)

I got my copy today.
The highest that i have managed to score is 13!!
How to I start off?
1.In the beginning i cant use the power button as it goes straigh up.
2.The only decent way to get a single appears to be flick it round the legs,however if I time it too well it goes to the hands of a diving fielder.
3.Push it straigh down the ground and there are filders
4.Playing through the offside is pretty difficult as the computer rarely offers the kind of width that is required.
5.umm..actually sweeping even pacers remains a good option,but highly unrealistic.
6.Without the power button getting boundaries is also very difficult.

So the big question is how do i get my runs?
Also this stupid thing.I need to switch to my mouse just to click resume after evey over.

Indyan said:
I got my copy today.
The highest that i have managed to score is 13!!
How to I start off?
1.In the beginning i cant use the power button as it goes straigh up.
2.The only decent way to get a single appears to be flick it round the legs,however if I time it too well it goes to the hands of a diving fielder.
3.Push it straigh down the ground and there are filders
4.Playing through the offside is pretty difficult as the computer rarely offers the kind of width that is required.
5.umm..actually sweeping even pacers remains a good option,but highly unrealistic.
6.Without the power button getting boundaries is also very difficult.

So the big question is how do i get my runs?
Also this stupid thing.I need to switch to my mouse just to click resume after evey over.

That is because you just got ur Game.
Spend some time on it and I can bet after two to three weeks you might post that it is pretty easy to score runs on all corners of the ground. and hitting four is as easy as scoring a single.
Just get used to it. play some county matches or test matches where there are plenty of gaps in the ground or go to NETS and try to use just forward shot with "S" on Pc and "x" on PS2. get your timing right and you can score it .
In the beginning I too was not able to hit any shot and the first day I got out on just 2 Runs. now highest I have made in 50 over match was 347 and I got my all team out in 41st over. If I would have played 50 overs I am sure I would have scored atleast 400 runs. and Most of them came from the off side and straight down the ground .

lol, i hate having to reach over to the mouse to press "resume" aswell. Its well annoying.

You just got to practice though really. I, and probably most others that got the game found it hard like you. I have played a few matches in the county season as Worcester and now i can get scores of 300+ sometimes.

Welcome Indyan.
You can't play good shots straight away.your timing becomes better as the confidance meter increases.
Regarding switching to mouse,I remember a stupid answer from EA's Andrew Wilson-When asked whether we can play with the mouse,he answered that mouse can be used in the menus.
How relevant was that :p

y but has anyone really scored with the cut shots???? i just dont feel u can nurdle the ball around for 1s and 2s , i can score 100s easily just smashing over mid on or off but then when the field changes u just feel its almost a dead game and wait for your other batsman(the one with the original field) to again hit all the slogg shots...........

I can get plenty of runs hitting the ball along the floor ! its just timing and good placement

jimmynolegs777 said:
After playing for a while i have been able to score off on/off drives, getting the odd 4 aswell. I dont bother with advancing down the wicket, just wait for a wide-ish half volley or one towards the leg side and try that.........took me about 2 4 day county championship matches to get the hang of it though.

Hope that helps. :)
i agree you can do it guys just takes a bit of practice and timing is critical, i have found it possible to score in the one dayers piercing the field and the tests as well. just keep trying it will happen.

nails said:
y but has anyone really scored with the cut shots???? i just dont feel u can nurdle the ball around for 1s and 2s , i can score 100s easily just smashing over mid on or off but then when the field changes u just feel its almost a dead game and wait for your other batsman(the one with the original field) to again hit all the slogg shots...........
yes i have cut shots are difficult at first it takes a lot of practice and good timing so just keep at it and it will happen but dont expect to be playing cut shots after only 20 minutes trying like the guys say you really need to spend some time at the crease before you start getting the feel for this shot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread