Ottis Gibson leaves England for West Indies

Well you can't say he's an experienced coach in anyway as he's only been with England for maybe 18 months now. But, he's a very experienced bowler who has seemed to help the younger England bowlers Stuart Broad for example improve. With the young talent coming through the West Indies bowling ranks at the moment in Roach, McClean and Holder maybe they thought Gibson was the best man to help bring out the best in them?

I thought that David Williams was going to be the coach for a little while. He seemed to be getting a hold of things and he did well in Australia. Williams coached Trinidad and Tobago for a few years and that was when they were most successful in domestic cricket.
If it was up to me I would have hired Gibson as a bowling coach and left Williams as the head coach. All I can hope is that Gibson does make the West Indies bowlers better and hopefully he prepares them well for the matches against South Africa.

Wow that's bizarre. A bowling coach being promoted to head coach?

Will he have the ability to coach overall though?

Wow that's bizarre. A bowling coach being promoted to head coach?

Will he have the ability to coach overall though?

I have no idea. Because they haven't said what will happen with Williams who is the coach for the upcoming ODIs in Australia.

Good luck to the bloke. Done an excellent job with England alongside Flower, wish him luck with the Windies. Just hoping we get Allan Donald back, he was excellent in the short spell he had with us.

Didn't he have a Test record of 22 with bat and 66 with ball? (from memory) Ended with 23.25 with bat, 91.67 with ball.

Great for Durham, I used to like him in my fantasy team as he wasn't listed as an all-rounder so ducks weren't a problem. Not convinced our bowlers perform at optimum level, Anderson, Broad et al suffer from bigtime inconsistency

Anderson's always got injury concerns and Broad's just a tool, so if that's the only problem, then he's practically blame free!

I think the effect of a coach would also vary from team to team, England's bowling coach has been a relatively high profile job in recent times, but it surely isn't the toughest and might even be a little boring. It would be interesting to see if he can bring more to the West Indies, with their raw up-coming talents, than he could to England.

Ottis Gibson confirmed as West Indies coach | West Indies Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

"Ottis will begin his appointment from the start of the home series against Zimbabwe," Hilaire said in a CBC Radio interview. "I think we need to take Ottis' appointment in stride. He will be the head coach of the WICB, and not just head coach of the senior team. He will have responsibility for coaching right across all of our representative cricket teams.

This can turn out to be a good thing and a bad thing since all the regional teams have coaches. I am not sure how it will work out.

I am glad that the West Indies have one guy who will be making decisions above anyone else. He will probably have the ability to take whoever he wants. Not sure how much of a test the Zimbabwe series will be but at least it will give some perspective of things will be. It will also be a good series to try out some youngsters.

Welcome home Otis. He has his work cut out for him, but if the WICB respects him and his approach, then West Indies can benefit. It is irrelevant how much International cricket he played, because the same could be said of pasted coaches for the West Indies such as King and Moore who never played international cricket. He must have gained valuable experience in his position at the ECB and with the England team, being with them from September 2007. His role will be broad and wide spread, but it is just what we need, to start from the ground. He already have the support of Richardson, and am certain he will have from other former players, because they have been calling for a former West Indies player to be coach and Gibson fits the needs and these calls.
Why David Williams was not made full-time coach, simple, he is not as qualified for the role as Otis Gibson. Good Luck Otis, and this is "long term", we hope you get the full support of the WICB, current players, formers players and young and upcoming players as well!!

Just heard that not only is Alan Donald in the running for the new England bowling coach, but Shaun Pollock as well....now this really pisses me off.

Why the hell is CSA sticking to the old fart Vince van der Bilj as our bowling coach when probably our 2 best bowlers of all time are up for discussion on coaching another international side? WAKE UP!

This REALLY gets to me....the amount of knowledge either of them can offer our team is invaluable, yet we keep sticking to some dude who never played any international cricket (we know the reasons why yet still he doesnt have that experience).

I dont know what they're getting at...maybe money talks and Polly/Donald are more interested in that but I feel CSA is dropping the ball here.

The best players don't always make the best coaches. Learn that. It's not as though your bowling attack has been struggling under the current regime, is it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread