IPL Question for the Aussies- ch 10 court case over IPL 2011

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Gee, just found out that Foxtel isnt showing the 1st Bangladesh v Australia one dayer, no live coverage!

So I'm reading that, and that WC didn't have proper coverage in Australia. What is happening to cricket over there?

ESPN3 will be showing Ban/Aus matches in the USA.

sjdigitall

Club Captain
So I'm reading that, and that WC didn't have proper coverage in Australia. What is happening to cricket over there?

ESPN3 will be showing Ban/Aus matches in the USA.

I reckon the passion for cricket is dying in Australia. Ive seen it for the last couple of years dwindle down. I dunno people just dont seem interested in it anymore, they love their stupid NRL/AFL clubs and thats it. When Australia was winning everything was great but when they started to lose more and more the passion went out of the game here. Australia losing the Ashes and the World Cup basically made it even worse.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
When I used to live in Aus they barely ever used to telecast games. Neutral games, probably never. This is just from foggy memory, however, but i'm fairly certain this is true...

Robelinda

International Coach
When I used to live in Aus they barely ever used to telecast games. Neutral games, probably never. This is just from foggy memory, however, but i'm fairly certain this is true...

Depends on two things, when you lived here, and if you are talking about pay tv or free to air tv.....

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
This was back in...1997-1999/2000
Those were the good days, domestic cricket and the tours to India were shown on Free TV. Now it's Australian home internationals and The Ashes in the UK.

The Champions League was the only change Australians had to watch our domestic teams on Free TV.

That said, NZ and English cricket are far worse, they get highlights packages at best, even of local international games.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think it was Darren Berry who mentioned in an article that lack of TV coverage is a good way to kill off your sport. I agree - I think with every series that Nine gives away to Fox a little bit of Australian cricket dies.

I'm a basketballer and you can see how much basketball died as a sport when it went off free to air TV here in Aus. Yes the hardcore still play and Ten/ONE is doing a good job of it now, but we struggled to find any new players in our local competition for a while, and especially kids, when they never see the sport on TV.

Of course this situation is different, I'm pretty sure Ten/One would love to show the IPL if their lawyers would let them.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
That said, NZ and English cricket are far worse, they get highlights packages at best, even of local international games.

Prime (FTA station) will televise the odd one dayer during the summer and up until last year iirc would always show at least one test aswell. Other then that though you're correct, it's just highlight packages that are shown pretty late at night.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australia definitely have the better coverage especially pay tv. From what I hear you guys get quite a few tours for non Australian matches. The only one you get over here is the home Aussie series and the Ashes. Australia in India has been getting coverage lately but there was a time where this was the case.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
FS seem to have explicit rights to NZ, South Africa and England matches. I think they only show India when they play one of those teams, which combined with Australia's slightly indocentric schedule, is probably often enough. However, it tends to leave a side like Sri Lanka in a bit of a blind spot.

ajdude

International Coach
Fox Sports is showing the first ODI thank fearsome tweak, 1:20 PM EST on Fox Sports 2 via Viewer's Choice.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
You guys don't get Aussie domestic stuff on TV? Gosh, even some of the 50 over stuff was on in India iirc :eek: absolute disgrace

Hope Aussie cricket doesn't fall like West Indian cricket did...by the looks of things it could be going that way...

Owzat

International Coach
Haven't heard anything, but this will be highly annoying if true. Was looking forward to some late night IPL - well at least for a couple of weeks until I got bored of it. Did I mention 6 or 7 weeks and 70 games is ridiculously high??

Not convinced ITV4 advertised it as much as they could cause first I knew it was on was, well err, it was on.

I've watched very small amounts of it, largely because the new "set rule" that you have ads every two overs in any form of televised cricket is ANNOYING, but the cricket inbetween wasn't that exciting and I've no interest in any of the teams involved. It is sold as of global interest yet who outside India cares two sheets about the teams in it?

I thinked I watched more of the Masters than I have of the IPL. They seemed to be showing some highlights of one match, the chase was going to be shown after the ads :rolleyes and some plank showed a clip of the score at 72/2 in what I think was a low chase - spoiler, duh! :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread