Red Hat Linux 9

P

pal

Guys I want to install Red Hat Linux 9 on my computer. Being an amateur in computer thingys, can anyone tell me how to partition drives, please??

:sorry: :sorry:

I think theres a program called Partition Magic or sumthin, i dunno if that partitions the HDD though

Use Ranish Partition Manager.It's free.Have a look at the read me file for instructions.
Also a previous Digit issue(probably August or Sept,03) covered the topici.e. How to install Linux?

BTW: I don't think you should install Linux if you're only an amateur at Computers, coz i think it's pretty complex to work.

Guys I have never used Linux before, what do you think are the plus points of Linux?

Squiz, what things are complex in Linux because you are probably right and if they are too complex, I might not want to install it.... :sorry: :sorry:

I also looked at some screenshots of the OS and the graphical interface looked similar to XP.... :unsure:

You do not need any partition manager. You coulod partition your HDD during the installation. Select the drive you wish to partition and set the size you want it to be.

btw, when you install Red Hat, right at the beginning before the installation begins, it is better to type at the command promt
linux hda=nodma
else you might encounter some complexities, even aborting the installation.

And, the graphics in Red Hat is way better than Windows XP. :D

I've never used any linux Pal so i don't know if it's complex, this is just goin by what I've heard

Linux is not at all complex.Infact some people beleive that Linux is more user friendly now than its MS counter-part.I can explain in detail how to partition ur hd to install.Here are the steps:
1:>Use Partition Magic v7.0 or v8.0,anyone.(very user friendly)
2:>Start partition magic.
Now let us assume a few things,
I assume you have a C partition with 10 GB and D with 10 GB more.(a 20 GB hard disk)
3:>Lets say u have 5 GB free in D partition.
4:>After selecting D drive(by just clicking on it) in partition magic,either right click on it or navigate thru menus and select "Resize partition"
5:>In the dialog box that pops up,enter 5 GB as the size of the new partition.
6:>Click on OK
7:>Now u will have a D drive with 5 GB and 5 GB as unallocated.
8:>Click on File->Save changes.
this will reserve 5 GB as unused.

Now when installing Red Hat remember,hda1 stands for C drive and hda5 for D drive.When installation of red hat comes to partitioning,use "Auto" option,but dont forget to review wat the installer has done .If u r really serious about installing it,i can explain the procedure in detail.

Pat thank you very much for your help

I am serious about installing Linux, so maybe you can help me.... :thumbs:

Originally posted by squiz@Mar 9 2004, 10:38 AM
hey Pal my penguins better than yours :D
B) my penguin is better the both of u :P he moves and types :lol: :D

and he is richer then me ,he has a laptop :thumbs:

Users who are viewing this thread