How to have Vista and XP on the same computer?

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nah, I dont want to stuff around and buy more hard drives. I just want to stick to the one PC. I will probably just "obtain" Partition Magic and do it that way. Seems the easy way. Just give space to this new drive and install/boot it on that new one.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Nah, I dont want to stuff around and buy more hard drives. I just want to stick to the one PC. I will probably just "obtain" Partition Magic and do it that way. Seems the easy way. Just give space to this new drive and install/boot it on that new one.
The best you can do :)

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Crap! Partition Magic isn't compatible with Vista :mad: I read that! Damn, just the reason why I want to go back to XP. See what we Vista suckers have to be put through? This is a nightmare...

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Crap! Partition Magic isn't compatible with Vista :mad: I read that! Damn, just the reason why I want to go back to XP. See what we Vista suckers have to be put through? This is a nightmare...
The only thing you can do now in formatting. See this is why most of the tech guys use this step instead of other things.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
:o Omg, this sounds to good to be true! I am tired as hell, will read it tomorrow and see if it makes sense and is actually right....If this is all I need to do, then Kev I love you:)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You don't run both of them simultaneously so it wont affect your system resources except occupying some space on the hard drive.

I've already got C:\ and D:\ Hard drives, so does that mean I can just pop Vista onto D:\ (the one without XP)? I don't know about partitioning!

Also, how long do you think before it comes down? It's way too much atm!

Last edited by a moderator:

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
I think you'll need to make another drive for Vista. Use the free space from D drive to create a new partition. Its easy to make a partition using Partition Magic and it's safe too. But I'd stick with XP for now. Vista gives me too much trouble with the drivers and software compatibility.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Yeeeah Dogggyyyy

Actually I've just discovered vista can resize its own partitions, who needs partition magic!

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista/

:o Omg, this sounds to good to be true! I am tired as hell, will read it tomorrow and see if it makes sense and is actually right....If this is all I need to do, then Kev I love you:)

Ok, I don't know if this will partition my drive, it looks like it is for managing partitions? Can Kev or AbBh or someone who knows there shiz tell me if that method on the link Kev game me will work? As it seems a bit to easy for my liking.

I also found this, any thoughst?

AbBh

Panel of Selectors
Yeah that method will work ideally. The link you found is to be used if that somehow doesn't work.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Thanks for the conformation - I will do it later tonight. Wish me luck:o

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Just a precaution, make sure you backup up your important data on an external media before continuing... Just in case...

Users who are viewing this thread