Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Finally the real successor to Windows XP?

Thanks Kshitiz for the Service Pack 1 information. Installed the standalone version without any problems (inspite of not uninstalling any drivers or installing the optional updates). Works well for me.

Noticing some improvement in the startup speed of my laptop. I guess before the SP1, the HD space calculation was flawed, I think. It was 78gb for me before. Now its 86.2gb (not sure if it frees space this much!).

So far, pretty happy with the update. Will use more and see how better it makes my computing experience with Vista (I like Vista coz I have a very good machine).

i installed it fine thru windows update.. worked fine..even freed up 20gigs of space on my HD :/

but it seemed to delete my network.. so i had no internet, it couldnt find my normal LAN network.. (well it knew it was there.. as it said it was.. but it only said it was enabled.. and not connected. ) there was no way to get it back on.. i tried for hours.. so i uninstalled the SP and now my network works fine.

what a pain in the arse... but atleast it kept my 20gigs of space!!

Kev, I know, it happens, but the instructions were for the worst case scenarios, as troubleshooting for some people can be cumbersome. :)

Travder92, you could've tried enabling and disabling the network to see if it worked - it worked for me though.

Abhas, best of luck. :D

Yes i am downloading the standalone installer...

how big is the windows update??

need to free up lots of space though..

nah.. i'll manage with the space.. all the songs go to my ipod... the movies as well.

rest everything in the pen drive :D

It could probably be because you have some unsupported drivers. Or maybe you cant identify it (it doesnt come written Windows Vista SP1). Another reason might be, which is the most prominent one, is that you didn;t install the prerequisites.

Even mine did not come up in windows update.. that's why i asked the size.

Anyway!! Installation completed.. no trouble whatsoever :D

so far, it seems, all my drivers are working perfectly. no changes in system settings etc..

It only reinstalled my Windows Live Messenger...

The whole install took ages though.. almost 2.5 hours :o
Now, i'll be having a close look at the components to see the changes :D

Users who are viewing this thread