Windows XP or Vista?

Which one is stable, efficient and of course better?

• Total voters

Bibu07

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Aiight to make it clear, is it better to install XP Sp3 or Vista?

I heard from some guys(XP users) that Vista was kinda beta like one and so was not stable and caused system crashes often. While others(Vista users) claim Vista to be more stable and efficient than any SP of XP. So puzzled right now.

I also know that Windows 7 is about to make its way. Or has it already?

Which one is the better between Vista and SP3? Which would be cheap as well?:p I guess SP3 would be cheaper.:rolleyes: Oh and, I have Windows XP SP2 right now.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well I'm pretty sure we had a Vista vs. XP thread.

What you should buy? Depends, on what is your system. If you have 2 Gigs of RAM, close your eyes and buy Vista, update to SP1 and with the soon to come SP2. However, if you have 1GB or lower, its a bit more complicated, and I'd suggest XP to avoid sluggishness, especially when using FireFox for extended periods of time, or heavy gaming like Crysis.

However, the claims on Vista's stability are absolute bull, I've been using it since SP1 came out and its as stable as XP, infact more. The way it handles not responding programs is brilliant.

Windows 7 works flawlessly in 1 GB RAM, but it ain't out yet, so no use talking about it...

If you already have XP SP2 you can just update to SP3 for no additional cost.

Hope it clears your queries.

Bibu07

International Coach
Yeah I seen that we have to have double the amount of ram for Vista to be smooth. Ok thanks for info.

@usy: What was that?:p

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Windows XP SP3 ALL THE WAY !!

i have cored2duo 2.13 ghz with 4 gigs of ram but still
prefer XP over vista.

for me performance is more important than unecessary memory hogging
stuff like aero interface and similar bullcrap !!

plus, most of the things before 2004 are literally unusable with vista.

besides, there was never a situation which compelled me to switch over to vista...
and as long as there is support and compatibility with XP...i'll be using it. period

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Install SP3 now, upgrade to 7 when it comes out. Not worth buying Vista this late in its life.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yes, but you can't upgrade to 7 directly, you'll have to do a Vista SP1 install in between.

And SP3 isn't like god's own sling for XP anyways, its just a cumulative update of fixes released all this while - things you might not even use.

I'm not having a go at XP here, I still have my copy installed as a tri boot now (With 7 taking up the third), its just that there is a lot of false knowledge being spread still about Vista.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Yes, but you can't upgrade to 7 directly, you'll have to do a Vista SP1 install in between.
Isn't that just a beta limitation? Besides which, you should never actually "upgrade" your OS, do a fresh install with an upgrade licence, and I'm fairly sure 7 will have XP as a valid old licence, just like how you can upgrade NT4 to XP.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Isn't that just a beta limitation? Besides which, you should never actually "upgrade" your OS, do a fresh install with an upgrade licence, and I'm fairly sure 7 will have XP as a valid old licence, just like how you can upgrade NT4 to XP.
There will only be an upgrade media from XP to 7, as pointed out by a MS spokesperson, but there will be no software upgrade path. I was implying in my previous post that a software upgrade is not possible - atm you can buy a upgrade media / license but will have to do a clean install.

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
You won't get a discount upgrade to Windows 7 if you have XP. That will only apply for Vista. I have only used win7 and XP, so I can't say much about Vista. But win7 >>>>> XP.

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
I think Windows XP SP 3 is better than Vista. As i am currently using SP 3. Better you buy Windows XP SP 3.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Vista SP1 is greater than XP. Before SP1 came, I had two system crashes with Vista (one was the dreaded bootmgr problem that happened by itself and I had to format the system to get rid of it since my laptop didnt come with the Vista OS CD).

After SP1 came, it has all been very smooth. You need to have lots of memory to have Vista (atleast 2GB these days). But its pretty good and friendly. I am sure Windows 7 is going to be far better than XP or Vista with whatever service packages. My friend is testing the beta version and he has been singing praises of it almost everytime I meet him. I have downloaded the ISO file of Windows 7 beta but I dont want to install it on my laptop as I want to wait for the full one to release.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Windows XP SP2 is much more better and stable than Vista and SP3.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Windows vista, since SP1 came out. So many things are better about vista. Since i got vista 64, and got another 2 gigs of ddr to take me to 4 in total i have seen big improvements in games in terms of fps.

I have windows vista ultimate, and my destop backgrounds are Windows Dream Scene content, amazing to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread