Windows XP or Vista?

Which one is stable, efficient and of course better?

• Total voters

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Vista SP1 is greater than XP. Before SP1 came, I had two system crashes with Vista (one was the dreaded bootmgr problem that happened by itself and I had to format the system to get rid of it since my laptop didnt come with the Vista OS CD).

After SP1 came, it has all been very smooth. You need to have lots of memory to have Vista (atleast 2GB these days). But its pretty good and friendly. I am sure Windows 7 is going to be far better than XP or Vista with whatever service packages. My friend is testing the beta version and he has been singing praises of it almost everytime I meet him. I have downloaded the ISO file of Windows 7 beta but I dont want to install it on my laptop as I want to wait for the full one to release.
You can install it in a virtual machine. Google "Sun VirtualBox" and you'll get to know it all. Its VERY easy!

Bibu07

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh I almost forgot this, unless I came accross NFS: Shift. Anyway I guess Win XP SP3(according to replies) is the one which Iam gonna take up, + its free to upgrade. But KI, I couldn't understand that Vista SP1 point, should we have it to install Win 7? Can you please clear it for me?

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Just like SP3 is free for XP, SP1 is free for Vista. Windows 7 is the successor of Vista (like Vista is the successor of XP).

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Oh I almost forgot this, unless I came accross NFS: Shift. Anyway I guess Win XP SP3(according to replies) is the one which Iam gonna take up, + its free to upgrade. But KI, I couldn't understand that Vista SP1 point, should we have it to install Win 7? Can you please clear it for me?
You only need to install Vista SP1 if you want to "upgrade" to Windows 7, as Windows 7 only supports upgrade from Vista SP1 at this point. Upgrade means keeping all your files, settings etc. and jumping on the new OS.

However, this is generally not recommended, and if you're taking a new OS, a clean install is recommended unless you're installing a service pack.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
You can install it in a virtual machine. Google "Sun VirtualBox" and you'll get to know it all. Its VERY easy!

He he.. today only, one of my college mates recommended that to me and we both went through its installation on my personal laptop. And now I am reading the same thing from you:D. I just installed Ubuntu on the virtual box and am enjoying it.

I have a question (sorry for going off topic). I changed the resolution of Ubuntu by mistake to 640x480 and now my windows go out of resolution and so I am not able to change back my resolution to 800x600. How do I restore the default settings in Ubuntu? Not only you, can anyone help?

MacWorld

Club Cricketer
Click on System at the top.
Then go to prefrences or something like that, you should see monitor resolution there.
edit it and save.

MacWorld added 2 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

If that doesnt work you will have to edit the xorg.conf file.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Thanks... will try that!

Actually on OS's, I just tried Windows 7 on my Virtual Box and it ROCKS!!! Man, it is stunning. I just alloted 900mb of RAM to it (you can allot memory to each OS in virtual box) and it was quick enough which really surprised me. Since I have Vista Home Premium pre-installed on my laptop, I have just now ordered 4GB of RAM (got it for just $40 which makes me feel how much prices for memory have come down) and Windows 7 and Vista Home Premium should easily co-exist on a 4GB memory with 1.8Ghz Dual-core processor (AMD).

I feel Windows 7 is going to be a long term OS (more like XP) unlike Vista. Cant wait for its final release.

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
He he.. today only, one of my college mates recommended that to me and we both went through its installation on my personal laptop. And now I am reading the same thing from you:D. I just installed Ubuntu on the virtual box and am enjoying it.

I have a question (sorry for going off topic). I changed the resolution of Ubuntu by mistake to 640x480 and now my windows go out of resolution and so I am not able to change back my resolution to 800x600. How do I restore the default settings in Ubuntu? Not only you, can anyone help?

Go to System menu, then to Preferences, there should be a screen resolution option there. Not sure how effective that is though.

Also, you can install Ubuntu inside a folder in Windows. Just start setup and it should give you an option to install inside Windows. Just allot a decent amount of space for it, around 10 Gb and you are done. Better if you defrag this drive beforehand. Next time you boot you'll have a boot entry for Ubuntu, which on first run will complete installation of Ubuntu. And no, you don't have to partition anything, everything goes inside a folder on the drive you selected earlier. To uninstall just run the uninstaller inside the folder which will get rid of Ubuntu from your computer alongwith the boot entry.

I'm running Ubuntu here, almost fulltime now!

:cheers

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Only thing I am liking about Ubuntu is the 'chess' game:D:p. Let me try and do what you said to see if running Ubuntu without the virtual box improves my perception of the OS (right now, my perception is that its HORRIBLE but that could be also becoz of the virtualbox!)

khan31

International Coach
Vista is better if you got the power. Its attractiveness and ease of use is supeior to any other current Windows OS. I have never had any difficulty installing anything on Vista (games, apps THE LOT) and that includes older games (2004,2005) and the like.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
WINDOWS 7 WILL BE THE BEST OF ALL!! I absoluely love it. Right now, I have installed Windows 7 (Build 7100) on my laptop PC (4 gig RAM, 1gb graphics card, AMD Dual Core 1.8ghz). I have installed the 64-bit edition of Windows 7 (build 7100) and it is so good and so attractive that I have decided to use it full time now (I have Vista 64-bit home premium also on the same machine but have decided not to use it anymore).

I tested the previous build (build 7074) and this new build is far superior than the old build with many bugs fixed, performance has been improved (feels a lot more lighter on a decent machine) and the visual attractions have been added. I think by the time the final version comes out, this OS will be a blockbuster hit (with PC specs increasing these days, many people will be having more than what is needed to run Windows 7).

Users who are viewing this thread