Ricky Ponting rates Lara above Tendulkar

S

Satan666

Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting rates Brian Lara ahead of Sachin Tendulkar because the West Indies batting great helped his team win more matches than the Indian.

Ponting's playing career coincided with both Lara and Sachin's playing career also, at that time Ponting was captain of probably the most powerful cricket side we may ever see in the beautiful game, so Ponting certainly know what he is talking about!

Ricky Ponting:

I?d lose more sleep as captain knowing Lara was coming in to bat next day than I would with Sachin. You always found a way to restrict Sachin if you needed to. Lara could turn it on in half an hour and take a game away from you.

Lara better than Tendulkar, Punter

It is Ponting's view and i respect it but i do not accept it.Sachin was by far the best batsman of the era,only Ponting follows him very very close.Lara is a great legend but he does not come anywhere close to Ponting or Tendulkar.I dont remember Lara trashing even the Indian bowlers.

The first thing you did after waking up is create this thread. :lol

Jokes apart, you have to respect his opinion. Infact, Warne somewhere too mentioned that the best player he has ever bowled too is Lara. Simply a battle of first among equals.
Maybe it is more to do with the quality of players around Lara and that around Sachin. You had to work equally or sometimes even more to get in Dravid, Laxman an Tendulkar. But as for West Indies at the time when Ponting was incharge, the only thing he needed to make sure was that he get out Lara asap, because at that time Chanderpaul was just making a mark and Sarwan just arrived in the International arena. So he never really expected a turn around unless Lara produced some magic. Whereas we are still to hear about his insomniac situation when he had to face the BIG 3 at the same time. :rolleyes

It is Ponting's view and i respect it but i do not accept it.Sachin was by far the best batsman of the era,only Ponting follows him very very close.Lara is a great legend but he does not come anywhere close to Ponting or Tendulkar.I dont remember Lara trashing even the Indian bowlers.

Misinformed greatly there my friend, not sure if you followed Lara at all but he thrashed many of the great bowling lineups in his time, even the staunchest of Sachin's supporters agree to this. He closed of his test career with an average of 53 and had the highest rated inns ever against one of the strongest bowling lineups ever, Australia in 99 at Bridgetown where he scored 153.

Misinformed greatly there my friend, not sure if you followed Lara at all but he thrashed many of the great bowling lineups in his time, even the staunchest of Indian supporters agree to this. He closed of his test career with an average of 53 and had the highest rated inns ever against one of the strongest bowling lineups ever, Australia in 99 at Bridgetown where he scored 153.

As i always say,mere stats wont help.Sachin and Ponting are far far ahead as classy and brilliant cricketers.I am not a Lara hater,i rate him very high but simply calling him better than Tendulkar is foolish.

The first thing you did after waking up is create this thread. :lol

Jokes apart, you have to respect his opinion. Infact, Warne somewhere too mentioned that the best player he has ever bowled too is Lara. Simply a battle of first among equals.
Maybe it is more to do with the quality of players around Lara and that around Sachin. You had to work equally or sometimes even more to get in Dravid, Laxman an Tendulkar. But as for West Indies at the time when Ponting was incharge, the only thing he needed to make sure was that he get out Lara asap, because at that time Chanderpaul was just making a mark and Sarwan just arrived in the International arena. So he never really expected a turn around unless Lara produced some magic. Whereas we are still to hear about his insomniac situation when he had to face the BIG 3 at the same time. :rolleyes

Ha was actually waiting for another member to post Punter's comments, knowing by me posting this adds some mischief to it, lolz.

I agree the Indians did have a better lineup to bat by far but at the same time Ponting claims that Lara could singlehandedly take away the game in half an hour, something which Sachin is incapable of.

----------

As i always say,mere stats wont help.Sachin and Ponting are far far ahead as classy and brilliant cricketers.I am not a Lara hater,i rate him very high but simply calling him better than Tendulkar is foolish.

So youre saying that Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne, Muthia Muralitharran and Wasim Akram are all foolish? Cuz theyve all said that they rate Lara higher than Tendulkar. Ponting was good also, infact I personally rate him above Tendulkar, but then again that may also be foolish.

I agree the Indians did have a better lineup to bat by far but at the same time Ponting claims that Lara could singlehandedly take away the game in half an hour, something which Sachin is incapable of.

Could you give me something concrete as to how Sachin was relatively incapable as compared to Lara.

I rate Ponting very very close to Sachin.The one reason why i rate Sachin a tad higher is because in late 90s and till late 2000s,Sachin had to face the Aussie bowlers who were the best and dangerous during that time with no doubt,whereas Ponting was on their side,the only reason why i rate Sachin a tad higher.

I rate Ponting very very close to Sachin.The one reason why i rate Sachin a tad higher is because in late 90s and till late 2000s,Sachin had to face the Aussie bowlers who were the best and dangerous during that time with no doubt,whereas Ponting was on their side,the only reason why i rate Sachin a tad higher.

Arguably the best bowling side in history not only in the 90's.

Well there's one thing most of us will agree on............
At least ponting and lara knew when to call it a day. You didn't see them playing long long after their best days were behind them. Unlike mr.tendulkar. :thumbs

At least ponting and lara knew when to call it a day. You didn't see them playing long long after their best days were behind them. Unlike mr.tendulkar.

Yeah. And it will be embarrassing to see him in RSA esp if he's not among runs. :facepalm

At least ponting and lara knew when to call it a day. You didn't see them playing long long after their best days were behind them. Unlike mr.tendulkar. :thumbs

I second you mate.I bet no one can disagree on this point.Tendulkar in Cricket and Federer in Tennis are very great legends but its high time they go,cant see them anymore *with due respect*

Users who are viewing this thread