Ponting tipped to hit 16,000 runs

The same thing was said about Sachin Tendulkar when he was in his prime form but now look at where he is standing.Ponting's good form continuing but its a tradition that bad patch do come for every batsman then we will see whether he can make 16000 runs or play 200 tests.

Ponting is much more solid than Lara and Tendulkar, on there days there is no one in the current age better than those two but those days a few and far between. Ponting has the abilitly to destroy attacks and then grind out match winning hundreds. He will end up as the leading run scorer in test cricket. But id still have to say that Lara and Tendulkar are more talented and on their days in the past better players, they are no longer in their prime form so you cant compare 2006 ponting to the lara's and tendulkars of the 90s

I do believe that Ponting will retire as the leading run scorer, but I don't see him breaking the 15,000 mark. He seems almost invincible at the moment because he is in the form of his life. Inzamam looked invincible against England last year but has scored only one ton since then. Remember, form is temporary. I'd like to see how good Ponting plays after he hits a slump.

I also agree with others who think that Ponting isn't as great as Lara or Tendulkar in their days since the bowling attacks are much weaker these days. Certainly the best bowlers of today (Ntini, Bond, Flintoff, Akhtar, etc) cannot be compared to the best of the 90's.

RoboRocks said:
No way is Ponting playing 200 tests. The average age for retirement nowadays is about 35.

Average retiring age for bowlers is about 35. Most batsman stay on till 36/7 depending on how good they are.

It has been correctly pointed out that bowling standards have fallen alarmingly over the past decade and a half. Sachin and Lara were facing world class bowlers like Mcgrath, Warne, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, Akram, Cairns, Younis, Murali and Kumble. Today, that list would probably only include(in case of Ponting) Ntini, Bond, Akhtar, Kumble, Murali and maybe Pathan. Also, pitches have flattened out a bit all over the world. This age is perhaps the best if you're a batsman and worst if you happen to be a bowler.

In this regard, comparing Ponting to Tendulkar or Lara is not entirely fair. Stuff like 16000 runs etc is fantasy - He MIGHT get there but it certainly isn't something that can be predicted. I remember when Tendulkar got 50 international centuries all the 'experts' (Sunil Gavaskar among them) predicted that he's easily going to end up with 100 centures (which is a rather distant possibility now).

Ponting is on a roll. He's in excellent touch and has got the support of a superb team (and shoddy fielding by opponents is not unwelcome either :)). Let's see if he can mantain the tempo and for how long.

Please remove Pathan from that list.. unless your going to include Flintoff, Harmy/Hoggy a bowling attack that limited Ponting to an average of around 37.

Whilst your point is valid, you only said world class bowlers, do not forget that Kumble and Murali are two spin bowlers with the 2nd and 3rd most wickets by a spin bowler ever ;) So whilst it does not quite equal the eras gone, he has played at the same time as some class bowlers, of which Pathan would almost certainly not fit since he has hardly ever bowled at him :rolleyes:

But yes, he is in a good run of form, as I also said on the previous page, talk of 16,000 runs is however just fantasy.

You're right about Kumble and Murali, dunno why I got only pacers in my mind ...
That has been corrected now.

You're also technically correct about Pathan not bowling much to Ponting, but he is definitely graduating to a world class bowler. He's developed the crucial ability to provide early breakthroughs for his team on a consistent basis.

angryangy said:
Is this a subtle way of saying Ponting is an average player?

No not at all, he is the best player in the world. I just don't think he can make it to 200 tests.

Drewska said:
Average retiring age for bowlers is about 35. Most batsman stay on till 36/7 depending on how good they are.
Some retire early which can make a differents.

Last edited:
ritwik said:
Ponting is on a roll. He's in excellent touch and has got the support of a superb team (and shoddy fielding by opponents is not unwelcome either :)). Let's see if he can mantain the tempo and for how long.

It's all part of the game, if the luck is going your way why not use it like Ponting has. Lara would have come close to 400 without the drop catches, just like KP would have played the match saving knock without the drop catches. They happen, if your team is good enough you will still be able to get the players wicket.

Ponting should just ride this purple patch as long as possible cause once the form slump hits it will be hard to come out of.

I think Ponting can get to 10000-12000 runs but not more than that, he is just in good from atm and riding it. Do not forget how he struggles against good spin bowling occasionaly.

aussie1st said:
It's all part of the game, if the luck is going your way why not use it like Ponting has. Lara would have come close to 400 without the drop catches, just like KP would have played the match saving knock without the drop catches. They happen, if your team is good enough you will still be able to get the players wicket.

Yes, but most batsman get the odd slice of luck every now and then. Ponting has had dropped catches and favourable umpiring decisions virtually every match since the West Indian series started.

You can't blame him for the dropped catches, if the opposition want to drop him thats their problem. Umpiring lately has been poor, Ponting may have been benefiting but thats the way it goes. Ride it out for as long as possible cause hes bound to get a rough call sooner or later.

No one is blaming Ponting for the dropped catches. We are just saying that he has been extremely fortunate recently with SA dropping catches when Ponting was in the early stages of his innings and has shown he is class to make sure he makes a big score when given a second opportunity.

We all know hes a nervous starter, if you don't get him after that though thats it. SA proved that fact right but they couldn't hold on to him.

Can someone name a player that hasnt had luck with dropped chances, got a lucky lbw, or caught of a no ball.

Users who are viewing this thread