Ponting in top five of all time

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wonder what the calculation is of this new system.

Ponting in top five of all time
By Robert Craddock
January 15, 2006

AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting is the fifth best batsman of all time, according to a new ranking system designed to compare champions of all eras.

Only the incomparable Donald Bradman and English legends Herb Sutcliffe, Ken Barrington and Walter Hammond rate in front of Ponting under the system invented by leading Australian statisticians Ric Finlay and David Fitzgerald.

Their system is part of a Cricketworld computer package used by writers and commentators around the world.

The format that compares the players from different eras takes into account factors other than cold statistics, such as whether they were playing at home or away and the performances of players playing with and against them.

It was designed after consultation with several leading commentators.

The next highest Australians after Ponting on Cricketworld's rankings are Matthew Hayden (15), Greg Chappell (16), Steve Waugh (18) and Allan Border (20).

Border's rating is likely to cause the most debate because many fans believe he has the hardest-earned 50-plus average of any Australian given he had to carry an understrength side in an era of outstanding opposition.

Ponting last week became No1 batsman in the world for the first time on the ICC Test rankings following his double centuries against South Africa in Sydney.

With 8253 runs from 100 Tests, Ponting, 31, is well placed to challenge for a stream of major individual records, including most Test runs (Brian Lara holds the record at 11,204).

The Sunday Mail (Qld)

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17826868-32462,00.html

FreddieFan

International Coach
He's good, but I woulnd't say he's that good. I don't understand why we need to compare players of different era's. We should respect them all as great in the time they played in, and leave it at that.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
Ponting in top 5 of all time. Shocking. :rtfl :rtfl :brickwall :confused: :mad :eek: :eek: :eek: :noway :mad: I don't belive this, how can anyone compare players of different era's.

langerrox

International Coach
yeh i agree, but why is matthew hayden at number 15? :s

avk2love

Club Cricketer
where is Lara , tendulkar , VIV richards...????????
they should check their system it has too many bugs!!
no wonder it was invented by Australian statisticians !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indiangod

International Coach
Shocking.......where is Viv-Richards, Gavaskar, or the in my view the best batsmen in this era who could have set more records if he was'nt Injured Tendulkar.

Sureshot

Executive member
avk2love said:
where is Lara , tendulkar , VIV richards...????????
they should check their system it has too many bugs!!
no wonder it was invented by Australian statisticians !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't say that, 3-2 to England in the top 5 :D

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
It isn't that shocking. Hayden has been scoring for 5 years in a row more then 1000 Test runs in a year (if I remember it well).

Users who are viewing this thread