Ponting in top five of all time

ZexyZahid said:
It isn't that shocking. Hayden has been scoring for 5 years in a row more then 1000 Test runs in a year (if I remember it well).
but still he is not that much great to be in top 15 of all time list else than that 380 factor

he got 149 on debut too, he is a good player no doubt about it..

I don't think anyone's denying he's a good player, but I think suggesting he's the 15th best batsman ever if verging on ludicrous.

He may well be but comparing eras is always a no no. There is so many playing factors that were different.

ZexyZahid said:
the system invented by leading Australian statisticians Ric Finlay and David Fitzgerald.

I know Ric Finlay, he lives in the same part of Tasmania as me (not trying to drop a hint but it's also the same place as the one Ricky Ponting grew up in)

If Lara was in the Australian team, I reckon he'd have a lot more runs. Too much pressure to score runs each innings on him in his team. When Ponting gets a century, he is in form, scoring runs for his team, and can go on as long as he likes. When Lara gets a century, it usually means he only needs another 200 or so to avoid the follow-on.

Lara wouldn't have as much runs in the Aussie side. The openers would score so much runs that Lara wouldn't be able to make his double and triple centuries.

Either way most systems will have different responses. The only certainty is Bradman is number 1.

One thing that would have put Ricky Ponting up higher in the list at 5
would be that he took over as Captain of a very successfull side and
the side continued to be successfull, plus his batting average went up,
which is pretty rare considering how much work-load he has to bare,
plus he's probably the best, if not, the best Captain in the world
and the best batsman at present...

Hayden deserves to be in 15th, if not, a little higher.
I can't see why some would disagree, especially if you've
actually watched his entire career from start to the present.

I do agree though, there are plenty missing from the list..!

PeAcE.
Andrew...

Last edited:
Go Punter!
He is in the run for so much individual records!
- Most runs in a calender year (1710 held by Richards) with the great start scoring a double century match. With matches to come from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Bangledesh and those poms.
- Most test centuries.
Those are the 2 which i am most excited about.

Users who are viewing this thread