RIP World Cup Super League 2020-23 (World Cup Qualifier Jun 16 - Jul 9)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I remember people saying that last year when he had one of the best Asia Cups we've ever had, and folks were like 'no way the T20 World Cup is as good as this' and then it was even better.

Have faith. I am of the firm belief that bottom-rung teams are far more competitive now than they ever were before. I'm sure the upcoming World Cup is going to be B-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-S.
The problem is the format. It takes away jeopardy. England lost three and still got through in 2019.

Asia Cup, Qualifier and even Champions Trophy are more exciting cause there's more crunch matches. Qualifier, while potentially having several sides that are of a similar standard, the full member v associate factor makes it an upset when the associate wins.

Of course, last match of the league stage is England v Pakistan that might end up being a quarter final. :D

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
I have a feeling India streak is gonna be broken!

Mauka Mauka Streak

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I remember people saying that last year when he had one of the best Asia Cups we've ever had, and folks were like 'no way the T20 World Cup is as good as this' and then it was even better.

Have faith. I am of the firm belief that bottom-rung teams are far more competitive now than they ever were before. I'm sure the upcoming World Cup is going to be B-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-N-A-S.

It‘s the format really. We’ve seen it already in the last two years in the IPL. Produces way too many dead rubbers or meaningless games for my liking.

EDIT - and @wasteyouryouth has beat me to the same point. :D

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Netherlands, take a bow!

The moment they won the toss, I knew they would romp home. Over the years, when bucked into a corner they've been a part of some stellar run chases. I wonder though, which Dutch team will now turn up at the World Cup. The current one or the one with their country stars?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The Dutch if they can play aggressively like today have a team that can surprise you. Would love to see them become a full member without the test requirement like they’re wishing for.
You'd find that in the near future, the Test requirement will be don away with. I have mentioned my pointers for why I feel that Tests will remain with a handful of nations. Pretty sure, if the ICC intends to spread the game, they will have to take the necessary steps and induct a few more full members into the mix.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
You'd find that in the near future, the Test requirement will be don away with. I have mentioned my pointers for why I feel that Tests will remain with a handful of nations. Pretty sure, if the ICC intends to spread the game, they will have to take the necessary steps and induct a few more full members into the mix.
The reason I don't see full membership expanding is because it means the current full members would have to give up some of their share. You know the big countries wouldn't want to lose theirs so it would probably be coming from the, already small, associate pot or smaller full members (Afghanistan should have some funding, if not full membership taken away, because they have no woman's team).

Netherlands, with qualifying when everything is designed to prevent them from doing so, on top of their direct qualification for the World T20 are pushing hard. It's just a question of what would they have to do to make it almost impossible for the ICC to not elevate them.

I've said before the only way I could see more teams getting full membership is if countries that are seen as profitable markets get good (e.g. United States).

I could see the ICC granting permanent ODI status to teams like the Netherlands or Scotland because that is largely meaningless beyond a nice gesture.

Beyond that they could do with ODIs what they've done with T20i and make any game that meets a certain threshold and ODI or at least any 50 over match between countries a List A match.

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Active international players with worst batting average (min. 2 100s in ODIs):

:sri: Dasun Shanaka - 23.93 (1149 runs) (SR 93.87)
:sco: Matthew Cross - 23.96 (1941 runs) (SR 71.02)
:eng: Moeen Ali - 25.13 (2212 runs) (SR 99.46)
:uae: Chirag Suri - 25.56 (946 runs) (SR 62.81)
:wi: Johnson Charles - 26.50 (1527 runs) (SR 85.24)
:wi: Kyle Mayers - 26.86 (618 runs) (SR 84.89)

Sorry if I missed someone. I just fail to understand why Kyle Mayers keeps on underperforming. Two of them are lower-order batters.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Active international players with worst batting average (min. 2 100s in ODIs):

:sri: Dasun Shanaka - 23.93 (1149 runs)
:sco: Matthew Cross - 23.96 (1941 runs)
:eng: Moeen Ali - 25.13 (2212 runs)
:uae: Chirag Suri - 25.56 (946 runs)
:wi: Johnson Charles - 26.50 (1527 runs)
:wi: Kyle Mayers - 26.86 (618 runs)

Sorry if I missed someone. I just fail to understand why Kyle Mayers keeps on underperforming.
I like how 4/6 are at the qualifier

MrDependable

County Cricketer
If there's no Super League, the Intercontinental Cup should be back.

Maybe even have it as a second tier to WTC. The matches between full members having test status, and the rest with first class status. Would really help teams like Netherlands, Scotland, Namibia, Nepal, and will also give some test fixtures to Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
If there's no Super League, the Intercontinental Cup should be back.

Maybe even have it as a second tier to WTC. The matches between full members having test status, and the rest with first class status. Would really help teams like Netherlands, Scotland, Namibia, Nepal, and will also give some test fixtures to Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe.
Pretty sure Namibia and Scotland don't want anything to do with red ball cricket

Users who are viewing this thread