Sam's ExE a Trojan??

ahk2578

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have been using Sams beta 1.2 for a while now and I daresay that it has got me hooked coz playing with plain old c2004.exe is boring.However a strange thing happened yesterday....I tried starting the game with Sams.exe beta 1.2 and the anti virus(symantec corp edition)popped up saying that poor old sam.exe beta 1.2 was a Trojan and promptly quarantined it!!I have been using it for months with the same antivirusand this never happened!!! Guys have this ever happened to you?? I have scanned my Pc and the results are positive -no infected files.......can anyone advise me on what to do ???(other than throwing away the antivirus :D :D ??

Sometimes these anti-virus programs are wrong.

Maybe it thought that the exe was a trojan because its an executable file? The program is just being on the safe side, it just quarantines any POTENTIAL dangerous files. That's only what I think :rolleyes:

I am attaching a reply that I got from Symantec for the ''Trojan'' sam.exe ....see if you can find any tips for curing this problem

i have highlighted some parts of the email that may be important

Attachments

• Symantec email response.doc
    20 KB · Views: 13
ahk2578 said:
Could you say when this became a problem for you??
A couple of days ago, must have been an update.

The thing is I was playing with it a lot for the week or two before it happened.

The thing is that I have 'forgotten' how to play the regular game as sams was so bowler friendly and well batting wasn't that bad once you got the hang of it!!

ahk2578 said:
The thing is that I have 'forgotten' how to play the regular game as sams was so bowler friendly and well batting wasn't that bad once you got the hang of it!!
Yep. Exactly.

I am checking the letter right now...

Try this: Switch off Norton Antivirus before playing. It might help.

EDIT:I guess I have to re-install then...let me try the switching off thing.

Last edited:
Norton Antivirus is crap. Its scripting is fairly poor. Use an antivirus like Panda or Trend Micro. Norton has 70466 virus definitions as of today.(yes i used norton but then realised it was garbage. It is the world's most trusted anti-virus but check and see which is the best by doing a simple search in a search engine. My Panda Internet Security 2005 has 102833 virus definitions. 32367 difference between these 2 programs.

Whats the name of the trojan reported by your anti-virus software??

kevmead said:
Whats the name of the trojan reported by your anti-virus software??

It just said Trojan Horse and there many variants so I really don't what virus Syamantec is referring to

ZoraxDoom said:
Just off a marathon C2K4 session. It works very well when you switch off Norton :)

glad to see that you are back in business!!
I will try it on my home pc but will have to be careful and I have to reinstall sams.exe....I can't do the same at work however 'coz I can't turn off the anti virus

ahk2578 said:
It just said Trojan Horse and there many variants so I really don't what virus Syamantec is referring to

glad to see that you are back in business!!
I will try it on my home pc but will have to be careful and I have to reinstall sams.exe....I can't do the same at work however 'coz I can't turn off the anti virus
Just disable the auto-protect.

Users who are viewing this thread