Scrap ball tampering law?

dont change the law as pakistan cheated and they deserve to get punished as does everyone else who ball tampers. If you change the law then most teams would try and ball tamper

Jimmy Maher said:
dont change the law as pakistan cheated and they deserve to get punished
Blimey. We have a world exclusive. One of our forum members has the elusive evidence that is so far completely missing. Let's hear it, or are you saving it for the hearing?

I wouldn't scrap the ball tampering law completely, just relax it. Perhaps allow scratching the ball or something like that, but not allow the ball to be modified with anything other than the body, so that would rule out rubbing cough sweets into the ball and the like.

andrew_nixon said:
Blimey. We have a world exclusive. One of our forum members has the elusive evidence that is so far completely missing. Let's hear it, or are you saving it for the hearing?

On evidence
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/08/30/sctalk30.xml
is a rather interesting article about the first innings of Pakistan. Mostly the bit highlighted by cricinfo:

"Of chief interest to the spotters would have been Asif's methods of polishing the ball, which he does with both hands on both thighs, though not at the same time. The mystery though is that a red stripe (the usual sign that a ball is being polished) appears only on his left thigh and not his right."

I'm more a watcher of cricket than a player myself so I was wondering if the red stripe always comes out? Or in other words is there an explantion that isn't mentioned in the article?

Scrap the law? In short, bollocks. I think Reverse Swing is certainly attainable without ball tampering and am of the opinion that if you aren't good enough to be able to reverse it in normal circumstances, why should laws change to make your life easier? It would reduce the effectiveness of world-class reverse swing bowlers such as Simon Jones as any old bowler would be able to do it, instead of spending time mastering the art, as Jones had to.

I also dislike the suggestion (apologies, I cannot remember who said it) for the new ball to be available after 60 overs - this would reduce the role of spinners in the game, something I would not like to see.

FreddieFan said:
I also dislike the suggestion (apologies, I cannot remember who said it) for the new ball to be available after 60 overs - this would reduce the role of spinners in the game, something I would not like to see.
I was the one who suggested it. Although, 70 might be a better option.

I don't see how it would reduce the role of the spinner. If the spinner is spinning the ball well enough, the captain wouldn't be stupid enough to take the new ball as soon as it is available. It definitely is a better option than scrapping the ball tampering law.

nightprowler10 said:
Scrap it? No. But there definitely should be changes made regarding the ball. I think a newer ball should be made available a lot sooner. Maybe after 60 overs instead of 80?

It was done after WW2, ruined the game for a few years. Reduced the role of the spinner hugely, and batsmen suffered too.

We need more favoured pitches for bowlers...cricket is too favoured to the batsman

Users who are viewing this thread