Sledging, is it part of cricket?

No in fact you completely proved my point, my theory stays in the window actually.
How?

I was saying that sledging is not a part of the cricketing culture here.

:what No matter how many other teams practise sledging, it's not the done thing in the subcontinent.

So you've disproved your own point by admitting that the Australians and the South Africans are the prime examples of sledging. Don't bring the other teams like West Indies, New Zealand or England into it.

Sure subcontinental teams sledge, but only in reaction to South Africa and Australia.

sledging is done by every team,there is nothing wrong if it stays in the field

That's a different point. We are discussing which teams started it...

Last edited:
No in fact you completely proved my point, my theory stays in the window actually.

"Bully teams"? You are a crack up.

Teams that sledge:
Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
West Indies
England

Looks like there are lots of bullies out there. No, you are the odd ones out.

Ooh sorry princess. When you travel to Australia, England, NZ, SA, or the Windies they should all just respect your opinions on sledging and not say peep? No. It's test cricket, all good players must have the ability to block out the sledging. Grow a pair.

WI and NZ are never involved in sledging contest with sub continent teams. its only bullies from Australia, SA and England who wanna have go at everyone even Bangladesh. For god sake what can a Bangladesh player do to you.

Last time a English bullly ( Flintoff ) had something to say to one of Indians resuletd in his partner bowler being smashed for 6 sixes in 6 balls. Didnt looked funny then Flintoff.

WI and NZ are never involved in sledging contest with sub continent teams. its only bullies from Australia, SA and England who wanna have go at everyone even Bangladesh. For god sake what can a Bangladesh player do to you.

Last time a English bullly ( Flintoff ) had something to say to one of Indians resuletd in his partner bowler being smashed for 6 sixes in 6 balls. Didnt looked funny then Flintoff.

How?

I was saying that sledging is not a part of the cricketing culture here.

:what No matter how many other teams practise sledging, it's not the done thing in the subcontinent.

So you've disproved your own point by admitting that the Australians and the South Africans are the prime examples of sledging. Don't bring the other teams like West Indies, New Zealand or England into it.

Sure subcontinental teams sledge, but only in reaction to South Africa and Australia.

That's a different point. We are discussing which teams started it...

Oh the irony!

Where you guys a sleep for the tour of England? Did you not see Kevin Pieterson sledging Pathan? Did you not see the big arguments?

Hypocrite. Imply Australia and South Africa are weak for sledging Bangladesh.. look what your team is trying to start with them.

For god sake what can a Bangladesh player do to you.
Maybe knock you out of a world cup?...I recall that happening.

There are hundreds of videos on the internet of the sub continent teams sledging. Just look at the likes of Harbhajan, Ranatunga (sp?), Ganguly, Sangakarra, they all sledge.

And you are saying that New Zealand and the West Indies don't sledge? Haha. You obviously weren't alive in the early 1990s and late 1980s then were you.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I have read, this thread is about whether or not Sledging has any part in the game or not. This thread is NOT about who started it or who participates in it or not. And by changing it to such a topic you are only going to start another row.

Oh the irony!

Where you guys a sleep for the tour of England? Did you not see Kevin Pieterson sledging Pathan? Did you not see the big arguments?

Hypocrite. Imply Australia and South Africa are weak for sledging Bangladesh.. look what your team is trying to start with them.

There are hundreds of videos on the internet of the sub continent teams sledging. Just look at the likes of Harbhajan, Ranatunga (sp?), Ganguly, Sangakarra, they all sledge.

And you are saying that New Zealand and the West Indies don't sledge? Haha. You obviously weren't alive in the early 1990s and late 1980s then were you.

HAHA picked one out out and thaught it happened in every match. Anyways whatever Munaf was saying would not have been understood by Batsmen cos frankly most in Indian team will have trouble picking him up.

Who can ever forget England - India last summer. The jellybean made more headlines than Indian win. And if you find anymore sledging videos try finding common denominator-----the bully teams.

WI in 1980 and 1990 did not had to sledge they used to do so by hitting balls on head and then glaring at you. They hardly said words unless you are cocky dean jones asking Ambrose to remove his sweat band.

HAHA picked one out out and thaught it happened in every match. Anyways whatever Munaf was saying would not have been understood by Batsmen cos frankly most in Indian team will have trouble picking him up.

Who can ever forget England - India last summer. The jellybean made more headlines than Indian win. And if you find anymore sledging videos try finding common denominator-----the bully teams.

WI in 1980 and 1990 did not had to sledge they used to do so by hitting balls on head and then glaring at you. They hardly said words unless you are cocky dean jones asking Ambrose to remove his sweat band.

Cultural views on sledging

Because cricket is an international sport, opinions on sledging can differ considerably, leading to many cultural misunderstandings and controversies.

England

Sledging was traditionally seen as a prime example of a practice that was "not cricket" (that is, not fair play), and was generally deemed unprofessional. Mild forms of sledging occurred in the English game, but personal attacks were seen as unacceptable. In recent years, English cricket has adopted a more Australian competitive streak, and sledging has become more common. Sledging in English club and village cricket is also common; it ranges from simple questioning of the batsman's skill to doubtful comments about his parentage, his sexuality, or the appearance of his genitals.

Australia & New Zealand

In Australia and New Zealand, sledging is seen as fair game and part of masculine discourse. Adult males commonly insult each other as part of social relations, particularly in sport; they believe that "What's said on the pitch stays on the pitch". In this cultural context, sledging is not seen as a negative issue; those who complain about it are derided as immature and un-masculine.

South Africa

The white South African and Zimbabwean societies are very similar to Australian and New Zealand society, because players sledge each other humorously. However, one big difference in the Southern African context is the sensitivity to racism — racist sledges are deemed unacceptable to a far greater degree than in other nations, though racism is of course not permitted at all in any of the cricketing nations.

West Indies

West Indian teams sometimes use witty sledges on western teams; however, racial or cultural slights are interpreted very negatively.

South Asia

South Asian societies—such as India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh— have a very strong concept of politeness and keeping face. Personal insults are seen as unacceptable and uneducated. When cricket was first introduced to the westernised elites of South Asian society, these groups adopted the concepts of fair play in the traditional English sense when playing cricket. Players raised in such a cricketing subculture consequently found it difficult to accept sledging in the Australasian fashion. Controversies have risen out of these differing cultural mores.

In recent years, however, South Asian teams have become adept at sledging in their own fashion. One notable example is Sri Lanka's team, which has used Australian coaches and coaching methods since the mid-1990s. Western commentators have often challenged South Asian teams on their supposed claims of sledging innocence, pointing at the common on-field use of Hindi and Urdu phrases that neither other players nor umpires can understand.

You do sledge, that's the bottom line.

And by the way....

Sourav Ganguly, captain of the Indian team in the early 2000s ( if you haven't heard of him), used the Australian style of sledging on the Australians in the 2000-2001 series. His encounters with the Australian captain, Steve Waugh, were played up in both the Indian and the Australian media to such an extent that Ganguly was called the "bad boy of international cricket" in the Australian media.

Last edited:
Jordox i did not thaught anything like this coming from you. I would have given you reps for that but too bad noone seems to gove you reps.

Its evident though the diffrence of culture in sledging clearly in your post. Now just follow it.

Jordox i did not thaught anything like this coming from you. I would have given you reps for that but too bad noone seems to gove you reps.

Its evident though the diffrence of culture in sledging clearly in your post. Now just follow it.

Yeppo, just making my point clear.

It's all cultural. No team is better than the other.

Its strange the masters of sledging i.e Australians went to the teacher first to complain.hahaAnd then they say they like to play aggressively and tough cricket.I dont think any indian reported their behaviour recently?Indian knew it there will be sledging and some harsh words thrown by the aussies.But they didnt know that Aussies will complain like this.May be Ponting was very keen to throw bhajji out of this series.*cough* bhajji can get his wicket for the 10th time *cough*

Cricket is a vastly different game to what is was 50 years ago, even 30 years ago. The game is no longer simply technique and ability, a lot of it is based on the fitness and physical strength of players and thei mental strength and ability. Its a much more all round game. Its just the evolution of the game. It's no suprise that the best side in the world also happens to be the fittest, with some frankly outstanding athletes and players who have massive desire to compete. Same can be said for the second placed side, even if they are skippered by an arse.

Well how can they take offence to something they don't know the meaning of?
Hmm... I was referring to this part of jordox' post:

Western commentators have often challenged South Asian teams on their supposed claims of sledging innocence, pointing at the common on-field use of Hindi and Urdu phrases that neither other players nor umpires can understand.

Users who are viewing this thread