Your Cricket Sledging Thread

Gurjot95

National Board President
Alright, How much you sledge during a match and does it work for you? :D

and what is your way to answer sledging? Do you response with sledge or just happy to answer with bat.

Well, my way is to reply with some sledge, and rest answer with bat ;)

Lol, I sledge loads. And it works. People I've played with have actually hated me for what I've said to them :p

I find you don't have to be particularly witty or rude or anything. Just find a way to get under their skin and stick at it. Be it by not shutting up, or picking on a certain flaw over and over again, or by saying the same line over and over. Whatever it takes to throw them off their game. You'll get them playing loose shots, they lose focus and start getting angry at you instead.

Another fun way to annoy someone is to smile whenever you're sledging them. Being rude and mean with a smile. And when bowling to them, stop and pause after every ball, and act like you're thinking, smile. Take your time at the top of the runup, make them wait.

Different things irritate different people. Find what works and stick to it.

Note: Do not do this if your goal is to make new friends at cricket matches :p

I don't really sledge, but last week in the match on the pitch next to me my team were playing some team and after some biast umpiring, sledging ensued and after a wicket fell there was nearly a full blown brawl in the middle of the pitch between some crazy afghani guy in our team and the batsmen. There was also a drunk guy from the opposition hurling abuse at our player's for nearly the whole match with a can of fosters glued to his hand. So sledging has been discouraged for certain players at my club.

Banter is OK but insults are overstepping the mark. One of the reasons why cricket is my favourite sport in the world is because of the spirit of cricket and overzealous sledging is an ill which the game can do without.

I majorly do it.Just started it this month against a opponent.Said a few words and that got him.
That worked wonders.Have tried it ever since.

sledging is good. It builds helps to get the best out of each player. I do it, sometimes to my players. If you tell them there not good sometimes the get motivated to proof you wrong. I use against oppenonts often when nothing else is working. However when it comes down to it being used against me, I turn violent during games and create a hassle. Trying to hit the bowl straight at the bowlers face. Usually get caught but sometimes i hit the head and it feels really good

I sledge and it works Because it allows to destroy the brain of the batsman.He just try to wrack the ball to give the answer and doesn't realize that it was a trap :)

I usually sledge after getting wicket.I remember once i said something like maa bhen to the batsman and He came to me and was about to hit me with the bat :p Then my captain came and settled the matter

Maybe the culture of cricket in India/Pakistan is different but, if you sledged as some of you have described in England, you would be chucked out of the league. Cricket is a beautiful sport because sledging is as nasty as the sport gets. It is frowned upon to act like a degenerate and "turn violent and create a hassle".

I don't sledge at all but as a batsman, I just move away from the pitch after a ball is bowled so that a bowler can't sledge and break my concentration.

I started to do that when I saw Brian Lara doing the same against Andre Nel.

Our Sunday team recently got told by a home umpire that the sledging from us was the worst he had seen in 30 years (Not quality, worst in terms of quantity and how often we did it). To be honest, the guy clearly can't have seen much sledging as we weren't that bad.

I like having a laugh about things and making comments to others on my team, usually at the expense of the batsmen. But when I'm bowling if or something pisses me off I might have a word. I particularly enjoy laughing at batsmen when they try to heave me away for six and get nowhere near it.

Didn't get what are you trying to convey with that link, Riz. Are you trying to say that there is much more sledging in Rugby?

Users who are viewing this thread