Sports Quotes

madmattg

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
--Vince Lombardi
Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi

We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time.
--Vince Lombardi

There is no I in TEAM.
--Unknown

Your opponent, in the end, is never really the player on the other side of the net, or the swimmer in the next lane, or the team on the other side of the field, or even the bar you must high-jump. Your opponent is yourself, your negative internal voices, your level of determination.
--Grace Lichtenstein American Writer & Editor

Men forget everything; women remember everything. That's why men need instant replays in sports. They've already forgotten what happened.
--Rita Rudner

If you can't accept losing, you can't win.
--Vince Lombardi

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
--Vince Lombardi

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
--Dave Barry

Sports Do Not Build Character...They Reveal It
--John Wooden

All right Mister, let me tell you what winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else.
--Vince Lombardi

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
--Mahatma Gandhi

The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
--Vince Lombardi (1913-1970) US football coach

Anyone with an ailment or who wears glasses or anyone slightly different suddenly wears a bull's eye. I think that dodgeball derailed an entire generation of Americans. It's the true red menace.
--Art Jones Film director who directed Dodgeball, a mock-documentary criticizing the game.

You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity...No we must not You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball.
--Albert Einstein

I was told over and over again that I would never be successful, that I was not going to be competitive and the technique was simply not going to work. All I could do was shrug and say 'We'll just have to see'.
--Dick Fosbury won an Olympic gold medal at the 1968 Mexico City Games after he invented a revolutionary high-jump technique.

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright; The band is playing somewhere; and somewhere hearts are light; And somewhere men are laughing; and little children shout; But there is no joy in Mudville- great Casey has struck out.
--Ernest Lawrence Thayer Casey at the Bat

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

I never criticize a player until they are first convinced of my unconditional confidence in their abilities.
--John Robinson

You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.
--Joe DiMaggio, on Opening Day

Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin.
--Yogi Berra

We're supposed to be perfect our first day on the job and then show constant improvement.
--Ed Vargo, major league baseball umpire

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz, College football coach College football coach

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical
--Yogi Berra

The sports page records people's accomplishments; The front page nothing but their failures.
--Jutice Earl Warren

Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
--Joe Theismann

Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.
--George Will

All winning teams are goal-oriented. Teams like these win consistently because everyone connected with them concentrates on specific objectives. They go about their business with blinders on; nothing will distract them from achieving their aims.
--Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame football coach

If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead.
--Erma Bombeck

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalised for too many players on the field
--Jim Boulton

Most football teams are temperamental.That's 90% temper and 10% mental.
--Doug Plank

One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, NBA Center

If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.
--Bud Wilkinson (1916-) US football coach

Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work a company work, a society work, a civilization work.
--Vince Lombardi

We won! We won! We won! Um, unfortunately, I bet on the other team, so we won't be going for pizza.
--Chief Clancy Wiggum (The Simpsons)

All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.
--Humphrey Bogart

The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love.
--Bryant Gumbel

Life is like a baseball game. When you think a fastball is coming, You gotta be ready to hit the curve. -
--Jaja Q

If a man can beat you, walk him.
--Leroy (Satchel) Paige

Hitting is 50% above the shoulders.
--Ted Williams

You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possibly be - in baseball and in life.
--Pete Rose

This is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators.
--Dick Vertleib

Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals.
--Dr. James Naismith, the father of basketball

Boards, Boards, Boards
--Knute Rockne

It is amazing what can be accomplished when nobody cares about who gets the credit.
--Robert Yates

Oiler coach Bum Phillips: When asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded, "Because she is too ugly to kiss goodbye."

New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

And, upon hearing Joe Jacoby of the 'Skins say "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said, "To win, I'd run over Joe's mom too."

Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann 1996: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height." and "You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."

Clemson recruit Ray Forsythe, who was ineligible as a freshman because of academic requirements: "I play football. I'm not trying to be a professor. The tests don't seem to make sense to me, measuring your brain on stuff I haven't been through in school."

Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson hooking up again with promoter Don King: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton."

Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my ****ing clothes."

Shaquille O'Neal on whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

Shaquille O'Neal, on his lack of championships: "I've won at every level, except college and pro."

Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."

Pat Williams, Orlando Magic general manager, on his team's 7-27 record: "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road.. As general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." (1992)

Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt." (1982)

Tommy Lasorda , Dodger manager, when asked what terms Mexican-born pitching sensation Fernando Valenzuela might settle for in his upcoming contract negotiations: "He wants Texas back." (1981)

Darrell Royal, Texas football coach, asked if the abnormal number of Longhorn injuries that season resulted from poor physical conditioning: "One player was lost because he broke his nose. How do you go about getting a nose in condition for football?" (1966)

Mike McCormack, coach of the hapless Baltimore Colts after the team's co-captain, offensive guard Robert Pratt, pulled a hamstring running onto the field for the coin toss against St. Louis: "I'm Going to send the injured reserve players out for the toss next time." (1981)

Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

Jim Finks, New Orleans Saints G.M., when asked after a loss what he thought of the refs: "I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating." (1986)

Alan Kulwicki, stock car racer, on racing Saturday nights as opposed to Sunday afternoons: "It's basically the same, just darker." (1991)

Lincoln Kennedy, Oakland Raiders tackle, on his decision not to vote: "I was going to write myself in, but I was afraid I'd get shot." (1996)

Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.' " (1991)

Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings." (1991)

Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject." (1987)

Humorous cricket quotes, enjoy:

Saurav Ganguly
"We are left with very little time. We will try and put some quick runs on the board and just see what happens if we can get early wickets," On Indias gameplan for for Monday

Kapil Dev to Sachin Tendulkar
?You should not bother about your position.?

Kapil Dev
"The team would miss even me and Sunil Gavaskar. The selectors have picked the best 15. I will not doubt them."

Sachin Tendulkar
"I am not the only one who would be key to teams success."

Waqar Younis
"Not only do we eagerly await the match, but millions of fans all over the world are looking forward to it,"

Nasser Hussain
"Some of the boys have asked me, as captain, if they can pop home for three or four days to empty their suitcases after three or four months away, clear Australia out of their system, start afresh and get on a fresh flight to South Africa."

Saurav Ganguly
"Nobody is a born captain. Most of the time I have gone on instinct", said Ganguly

Sourav Ganguly
?There is pressure on every player as none of us have fired on this tour", said Ganguly as Indias batting was in shambles throughout the NZ tour, as their batsmen floundered on seamer-friendly pitches and against a disciplined New Zealand pace attack that used the conditions intelligently.

Steve Waugh
"After Calcutta, I am more careful", said Steve Waugh when asked whether he would have any hesitation in enforcing the follow-on.

Prof Ratnakar Shetty
"What is sad is that he is playing his 100th Test abroad as I would have been happy if he had played his 100th Test at the Wankhede stadium, like Dilip Vengsarkar did. However, we are planning a big celebration for him for his 101st Test match against the touring West Indies side."

Nasser Hussain
"India will be under pressure. They will be desperate to win. They have to make history in that last game. I am sure they will have some butterflies." - England Test captain Nasser Hussain on the deciding Test at The Oval.

Anonymous
?If I sign, thinking about my career, I may get in the bad books of some of the senior players with whom I may have to play in near future,? he said. ?And if I don?t, then I face the wrath of the Board. It?s a tough call to make and I really don?t know what I am supposed to do.? - Anonymous

Jagmohan Dalmiya
"He can give advice to the players but he cannot act on their behalf." said Jagmohan Dalmiya on Ravi Shastri

Mark Waugh
"When you play against Tendulkar, you almost want to see him get a few runs just to see him bat. Its amazing how hard he hits the ball. I cannot believe how much power he has. Most of his innings are outstanding. He loves batting against us.?

Saurav Ganguly
"When I was out dragging a ball from Steve Harmison on to my stumps, I had a bit of a scare. I suddenly realised we could still lose, but Patel, our young wicketkeeper, showed a lot of character. He may not have scored big runs, but he batted for 25 overs under pressure, and there are not too many 17-year-olds who could do that.", said Ganguly after the second test match in England.

From Duffarama.

"Good luck to them. While we're not allowed to do it in New Zealand, they're obviously allowed to do it over here. Our policy is to produce the best cricket wickets possible, not ones that suit the home team."
John Bracewell, New Zealand's coach, suggests that the recent Test wickets were tailored to suit England

Users who are viewing this thread