The Death Of The Doosra

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Could Saeed Ajmal's ban and the current ICC clamp down on illegal actions lead to the death of the doosra?

Ajmal's action was examined in 2009 and it was found to be within the 15-degree level of tolerance allowed under the law. Since then, it appears, his action has deteriorated to the point where all his deliveries, not just the doosra, were found to breach the law during his recent examination. Either that or there were issues with the testing process that cleared him the first time.

Whatever the case, and if experts like Bishen Bedi are correct, then we must now consider the possibility of cricket without the doosra. This will, unfortunately, have the effect of making life even easier for batsmen. Even if Ajmal finds his way back to international cricket, as he has vowed to do, chances are he will not be force he was before. Shane Shillingford, now required to operate without his doosra, is half the bowler he was prior to his forced separation from the game, and has since lost his place in the West Indies test team though, still a member of the squad.

The Death Of The Doosra

Could Saeed Ajmal's ban and the current ICC clamp down on illegal actions lead to the death of the doosra?
Or the death of Teesra ? Teesra was purely the invention of Ajmal.

Carrom ball of Ashwin (and Narine and even Mendis) is refined form of Doosra. So no danger to doosra.

Reactions: War
Carrom ball of Ashwin (and Narine and even Mendis) is refined form of Doosra. So no danger to doosra.

But Saeed's doosra is another thing, I haven't seen any batsman praising Ashwin's, Narine's or Mendis' doosra. Their doosra isn't as good and affecting as Ajmal's.

Or the death of Teesra ? Teesra was purely the invention of Ajmal.

There is nothing like teesra. It was just him trying to play mind games with the opposition. There are 2 ways a ball can spin, it's either off spin which is his stock ball, or leg spin which is his doosra. What the heck is a teesra? Is he going to spin both ways in a single delivery?

But Saeed's doosra is another thing, I haven't seen any batsman praising Ashwin's, Narine's or Mendis' doosra. Their doosra isn't as good and affecting as Ajmal's.

That is because carrom ball is bowled with fingers and doosra is bowled with the wrist. You will get more revolution from your wrist than your fingers and as a result doosra spins a bit more than the carrom ball.

Ha, maybe you haven't my friend - but I have seen many games where commentators have praised the "carron balls" that Narine, Ashwin, Herath bowls or Mendis (when he was bowling well). There is much evidence out there that batsmen find playing or picking the carron ball just as difficult as the "doosra".

There is nothing like teesra. It was just him trying to play mind games with the opposition.

I believe English batters weren't that stupid to fall for it.

I believe English batters weren't that stupid to fall for it.

It's not about being stupid. Shane Warne during his career came out and said that he has developed this new delivery just to confuse opposition batsmen even though he had nothing new. R. Ashwin did a similar thing when England toured India in 2012. So it's nothing new, and by the look of how that series went, I feel English batsmen did fall for it because they couldn't figure out which way the ball was turning.

Ha, maybe you haven't my friend - but I have seen many games where commentators have praised the "carron balls" that Narine, Ashwin, Herath bowls or Mendis (when he was bowling well). There is much evidence out there that batsmen find playing or picking the carron ball just as difficult as the "doosra".

Well true that. These Ashwin, Narine, Herath and Mendis, they all can bowl doosra but I don't see anyone of them doing it very often and that's because it isn't as affective as of Ajmal's. They instead use their perfected carron bowl which's way better than using a newly discovered delivery. I do know that Ajmal was trying to invent something knew but that had definitely not went well so he just cancelled his plan.

Well true that. These Ashwin, Narine, Herath and Mendis, they all can bowl doosra but I don't see anyone of them doing it very often and that's because it isn't as affective as of Ajmal's. They instead use their perfected carron bowl which's way better than using a newly discovered delivery. I do know that Ajmal was trying to invent something knew but that had definitely not went well so he just cancelled his plan.

You still didn't get the point. None of them can bowl doosra and they don't bowl doosra. What they bowl is called carrom ball. They never had any doosra because doosra is bowled with wrist and carrom ball is bowled with fingers. If you look at all the spinner that you have mentioned, they all are finger spinners, not wrist spinners. So they have to change their action drastically to bowl doosra.

Reactions: War
You still didn't get the point. None of them can bowl doosra and they don't bowl doosra. What they bowl is called carrom ball. They never had any doosra because doosra is bowled with wrist and carrom ball is bowled with fingers. If you look at all the spinner that you have mentioned, they all are finger spinners, not wrist spinners. So they have to change their action drastically to bowl doosra.

I personally class any ball that turns the other way as a doosra. Therefore under my definition a carrom ball would be a doosra.

Narine is someone who personally amazes me at how much and how he actually manages to turn it both ways.

^^

Typical fan mistake. Doosra & carron ball as Aalay explained are different in many ways.[DOUBLEPOST=1410372358][/DOUBLEPOST]

You could add Doosra is bowled with long sleeves & carron ball with short sleeves ha...

^^

Typical fan mistake. Doosra & carron ball as Aalay explained are different in many ways.[DOUBLEPOST=1410372358][/DOUBLEPOST]

You could add Doosra is bowled with long sleeves & carron ball with short sleeves ha...

Not a mistake really, just different perceptions.

Not a mistake really, just different perceptions.

No my friend, saying the doosra & carron ball are the same by your reasoning of "any ball that turns the other way" would be like saying a fast bowler bowling a out-swinger or reverse-swing outswinger is the same.

Like the doosra/carron ball, out-swinger/reverse only similarity is that it turns/seams away from the batsman (into if a left-hander) - otherwise the bowling grip to bowl these balls, deviation magnitude & pace of pitch it generates & how a batsmen might go about to picking both deliveries is totally different.

No my friend, saying the doosra & carron ball are the same by your reasoning of "any ball that turns the other way" would be like saying a fast bowler bowling a out-swinger or reverse-swing outswinger is the same.

Like the doosra/carron ball, out-swinger/reverse only similarity is that it turns/seams away from the batsman (into if a left-hander) - otherwise the bowling grip to bowl these balls, deviation magnitude & pace of pitch it generates & how a batsmen might go about to picking both deliveries is totally different.

I didn't say they're the same mate, simply I believe a 'doosra' is the overall classification. There's no set definitions so neither of us can be correct. The doosra is commonly referred to as 'the other one' which could be either a carrom ball or the conventional doosra.

Users who are viewing this thread