The Death Of The Doosra

Teesra was purely the invention of Ajmal.
I remember saqlain saying the same during the later part of his career, cant remember specifically though, bhaji tried that sometime in middle of his career, but its always mind games afaik.[DOUBLEPOST=1410374126][/DOUBLEPOST]lol, samp then im going call them offgoogly

I didn't say they're the same mate, simply I believe a 'doosra' is the overall classification. There's no set definitions so neither of us can be correct. The doosra is commonly referred to as 'the other one' which could be either a carrom ball or the conventional doosra.

That's why i said it's a typical mistake people make when saying the doosra is overall classification of any ball from a traditional finger spinner that goes the other way. You can't classify the two similarly, cause when we get to critical argument that many cricketers and journalist make that the doosra can't be bowled without a bent arm", which is one of key issues of the latest ICC crackdown on the spinners that could eventually lead to the doosra being banned - it becomes evident that bowling the carron ball doesn't have the same issue.

That's why i said it's a typical mistake people make when saying the doosra is overall classification of any ball from a traditional finger spinner that goes the other way. You can't classify the two similarly, cause when we get to critical argument that many cricketers and journalist make that the doosra can't be bowled without a bent arm", which is one of key issues of the latest ICC crackdown on the spinners that could eventually lead to the doosra being banned - it becomes evident that bowling the carron ball doesn't have the same issue.

Because what journalists say is always right :p.

You could add Doosra is bowled with long sleeves & carron ball with short sleeves ha...

Not that I have any problem with his action but have you ever seen Sunil Narine bowling in short sleeves? I mean both Herath and Ashwin usually bowls in short sleeves but I have never seen Narine do that.

Not that I have any problem with his action but have you ever seen Sunil Narine bowling in short sleeves? I mean both Herath and Ashwin usually bowls in short sleeves but I have never seen Narine do that.

Graeme Swann basically never bowled in short sleeves either however...

They haven't done anything out of rules :rolleyes

You mean Saeed Ajmal?

Well if you don't, neither did Ajmal do a few years back and his action hasn't changed at all since the last time they cleared him.[DOUBLEPOST=1410544622][/DOUBLEPOST]
Graeme Swann basically never bowled in short sleeves either however...

Not really, he used to in his early/mid career but in the end of his career he wore full sleeves.

Ajmal's test results said:
The over-by-over testing: 1st: Over the wicket: Average elbow extension 39 degrees 2nd: Over the wicket: 37 degrees 3rd: Around the wicket: 41 degrees 4th: Around the wicket (wide of the crease): 41 degrees 5th: Around the wicket: 42 degrees 6th: Around the wicket, doosra: 40 degrees 7th: Around the wicket, quicker balls: 38 degrees 8th: Over the wicket, quicker balls: 42 degrees

that's not even anywhere near the 15 degree law. I don't care what you think; but 45 degrees is definitely throwing and if you legalise that, then you're legalising baseball-style stuff.

Ha good observation. In recent years since he became an international star, i'd have to say he has not bowled with short sleevves. Same thing with Swann. But i do recall seeing them both bowl with short sleeve alot in domestic cricket (especially Swann). So i guess it became a style for them, instead of the way Ajmal, Senanayke did it to potentially hide something about their actions:

1526381_737772979569310_1030720971_n.jpg

Narine in short sleeve in either the 2011 or 2012 caribbean T20 for trini

97101.jpg

Swann in his 1st test 2008

I never really had any problem with Swann's action because his action looked very clean. Narine as you have posted used to wear the short sleeves but stopped doing it after he got into international cricket.

Some general observations on this.

That ICC is willing to clamp down on blatant violations of the laws, is a positive development.

Does it signify the end of the doosra? I would disagree. If anything it gives the doosra a boost.

There are still bowlers who bowl the doosra without their action ever being called into question. Ashwin for one at the start of the year was using the doosra or the carrom ball, as his stock delivery and the traditional off spinner as a variation, and not once did I hear about any questions raised on his action. Oddly enough, during the recent India-England series, Ashwin hardly bowled the doosra at all. Was this in light of the clampdown that we have seen, or just that he didn't need to use it, I don't know.

Ajanta Mendis is another spinner who has a bag of tricks in his kitty and can bowl every type of delivery. His wikipedia page doesn't mention him having ever been under the scanner for suspect action, despite having a very unorthodox one. So he is another example of a player who can do it within the rules.

Thus Ashwin and Mendis are proof that the doosra can be bowled within the rules. If it was not possible to bowl it within the rules, then one could say, the rules need to be changed. However, with clear examples of bowlers doing it within the rules, there is no place for that argument. If something can be done within the rules, then do it within the rules. The clampdown is positive (I have nothing against Ajmal), and unless there is a clampdown the spinners will keep flouting the rules. With a clampdown the bowlers will be forced to learn do it within the rules. Importantly the younger bowlers will also learn to do it within the rules as they cannot get away with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread