The Iconic Review of 2013

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Cricket: A Review of 2013

This has been a memorable year, not always for the right reasons, but memorable none the less. We?ve seen England crumble under intense pressure by a seemingly resurgent Australia, we?ve had South Africa further solidify their place as the test number ones and India show some grit, not only in away tests but in ODI tournaments too; not to mention Pakistan?s continued recovery, exceptional development of associate nations such as Ireland and Afghanistan and an emerging crop of successful fast bowlers.

It?s also been a sad year in which the legendary Sachin Tendulkar has retired and South Africa?s greatest ever cricketer, a certain Jacques Kallis, has also called time on his test career. Its ok, we can still enjoy him in the limited over side of things. Things have changed in 2013, followed by an eventful 2012, this is a brave new world for cricket. Television rights have exploded, with bigger, multimillion dollar deals pushing cricket into becoming, quite possibly the second largest sport on the planet, was it always that way?

Yet the old problems still persist. England still look shaken AND stirred when pressured, South Africa still refuse to win ODI tournaments and close calls, whereas India are still looking for a half way decent fast bowler. The rise of Muhammad Shami is a good start but too often have we seen the Sharma?s and Pathan?s of the world burst into flames and then fade away. Pakistan is still suffering from political intervention within the PCB, or what remains of it, not to mention struggling in getting anyone to go over and play in iconic ground in Lahore and Karachi. The West Indies, their revival muted for so long, still have player pay disputes and struggle against the better sides.

In crickets new world, it has been great to see the resurgence of real pace bowling, especially left armers, with the second coming of Mitchell Johnson, the arrival of Muhammad Irfan and the continued improvement of Junaid Khan. Dale Steyn continues to impress and has shown marked improvement in his ODI form. Sticking with bowling, it has once again been a record breaking year for the best spin bowler since the heyday of Murali/Warne, the ever irrepressible Saeed Ajmal. His magic, intelligence and patience is a brilliant counter to the sheer aggression and violence of Johnson.

So that gets me to thinking, who is the best bowler over the course of 2013? The best batsman, the best team in ODIs and tests? Who are the best amongst the associates? So here I go with my 2013 rankings, I?m sure some choices will not sit well with others, but it has been one of those years. Enjoy.​

Best Associate Team:​

Ireland, the team that has been best amongst the formerly known minnows, is still the best to this day. It?s unfortunate that they have lost some of their best talent to England but the sport is ever growing in the country and 2014 may just be their best year yet. A great showing in the T20 world cup, could further enhance the voices calling for Ireland to be given a test shot. Bangladesh got one having achieved far less.

I?d also like to mention Afghanistan, a real Rocky like tale of underdogs come good. The team has greatly benefited from Pakistan coaching and facilities and they have made the most of their opportunity, showing that they too are a team verging on being mentioned in the same breath as Ireland. When that happens, their test call up may be only a few years away.​

Best Bowler (ODIs):​

Saeed Ajmal, criminally overlooked by the ICC, Ajmal is the best spinner since the mighty pairing of Murali and Warne. He may just end up being Pakistan?s greatest ever leg spinner, especially in the shorter format of the game (sorry Saqlain Mushtaq). He is an exceptionally gifted bowler, he can flight his deliveries, he can spin them orthodox or via the doosra and he can change his pace and no one would know it because he does it all with the same action. His tally of 62 wickets in a calendar year is a record for any Pakistani. On top of all that, including an average of 21 and a strike rate under 30, Ajmal plays the game with a smile and a youthful exuberance, sadly missing from far too many players in the modern game.

The runner up for 2013 is Junaid Khan, not only because he is the second highest wicket taker of the year, ten behind Ajmal and on par with Jadeja, but because he has done it at an astonishing average and a terrific strike rate of just 26. Not to mention, many of those wickets have come in the death against tough opponents on docile pitches. Quite possibly the best fast bowling prospect of the year.​

Best Bowler (Tests):​
Dale Steyn, there is no other fast bowler on the scene who can do what the South African spear head does. He is quick, aggressive and highly skilled, with the ability to swing the ball in and out at great pace. Once again, Steyn is the leading test bowler in tests, not because of wickets (just 9 tests did not afford him enough opportunities) but he has done so at a brisk pace. His average and strike rate is almost unrivalled. South Africa?s greatest test bowler since the retirement of Shaun Pollock tops my 2013 rankings.

The runner up for 2013 is Stuart Broad who has been the surprise package. In years gone by, he always had the talents and spurts of brilliance, but the last calendar month has seen consistency and a better understanding of himself and his role in the side. He doesn?t have the swing and accuracy of Anderson, but he bowls at a higher pace, has a better Yorker and can bounce batsmen out. It will be interesting to see what 2014 brings.​

Best Batsman (ODIs):​

Misbah ul-Haq, Pakistan?s captain marvel has had a miraculous late career surge. How many athletes can say they are at their peak, closing in on their 40th birthday. Is he the Bernard Hopkins of cricket? Quite possibly. The only thing missing from a career best year in terms of runs in centuries, but batting lower down the order and often having to rebuild the innings with the tail, there is not much more that he can do. His high score of 96 not out is testament to that. Not to mention that many of his innings come in winning efforts. Misbah, Pakistan?s ageless wonder is more than deserving of this honour.

The runner up for 2013 is Virat Kohli, a player who had a breakthrough year in 2012. Now he is a staple of the Indian side, has grown in stature and is starting to put together the types of innings that Viv Richards would be proud of. His 4 centuries are bettered only by Hafeez and Dhawan, but both of them have had record breaking years.

Best Batsman (Tests):

Michael Clarke, controversial as he is as captain and Australian representative, Clarke the batsman is unparalleled in terms of run getting. His off-drive is a thing of beauty, his quick feet make a mockery of the world?s best spinners but he isn?t all flash. There is grit there too, as witnessed by his 130 in Chennai and then the mammoth 187 in Manchester. Big innings against tough opponents, away from home is the hall mark of a great batsman an there has been no one better over the last 12 months.

The runner up for 2013 is Ian Bell, supposedly England?s most aesthetically pleasing batsman since a certain Lord Gower. Whether or not that is true, is up for debate, but he is most definitely the man to count on when the chips are down. In the miserable Ashes series in Australia, Bell is the only batsman who seems up for a fight.​

Best Team (ODIs):

India, its close between India and their arch rivals or are 2013s runner ups. What edges it for me is that India won the ICC Champions Trophy in England and did so by playing some great, aggressive cricket. It was a one of a kind tournament for the sub-continental giants, playing a brand of cricket that Australia popularised in the late 90s and early 00s. Tough, hard, aggressive, Australia did it a plethora of bowling options and hard hitting batsman, India do it with an able minded captain and the exuberance of youth in the likes of Kohli and co.

The runners up for 2013 are Pakistan, a team long exiled from their own country; they play away, constantly in foreign conditions. Their wins over India in India and then a first series win in South Africa are absolute stand outs. They have also put together the best limited overs bowling attack in world cricket, which, if it continues to flourish, could see Pakistan as real contenders for the 2015 world cup.​

Best Team (Tests):​

South Africa, can there be anyone else? If England had managed to keep their summer form down under, they may have been legitimate contenders, as are runner ups India but no team has looked as comfortable as test ?Champions? as South Africa. Their only real blemish a defeat to Pakistan but they rebounded to win the second test and tie the series. They have rarely looked like they can be touched, apart from odd moments against sub-continental sides which seem to have new found grit and determination.

The runner ups are India, a team that has built a fortress at home and although suffer from the same bowling weaknesses that have haunted them for decades, have managed to find batsmen who can create victories by batting opponents out of the match. They almost secured an away win against South Africa and in Muhammad Shami, may have unearthed a decent pace bowler.

Best Wicket Keeper (ODIs):

MS Dhoni is India?s mister reliable. He can bat, he can catch and if you?re careless, he can stump you too. His 34 dismissals, including 13 stumpings and 21 catches is outstanding and he has done it when it matters most. As his batting seemed to hit a low point early in the year, he made up for it by being consistent behind the stumps. But as the year ended, he leaves 2013 with a batting average of over 60. Since the heyday of Adam Gilchrist, every team has looked for a similar keeping presence, India have the best in Dhoni.

Best Wicket Keeper (Tests):

AB de Villiers, what a year he?s had, with 4 terrific centuries and a whopping average of just under 80. AB is defining himself as one of THE premier players of his generation. To top it all off, his keeping has been a work of art, athletic, agile and safe. It?s what you want. 45 catches a stumping, including 11 catches in a single test against Pakistan. AB may be one of the most indispensable players on the planet.​

Prospect of the Year:​

Quinton de Kock, has been a superstar for South Africa this year, with 25 catches in 16 ODIs, his batting has been the true highlight. An average of 46, with 4 centuries, each one a blistering demonstration of skill and hitting, he may just be the best keeper in world cricket not names AB or MS. What will 2014 bring?​

ODI XI 2013:​
1. S Dhawan (IND)
2. R Sharma (IND)
3. M Hafeez (PAK)
4. V Kohli (IND)
5. M ul-Haq (PAK)
6. AB de Villiers (SA)
7. MS Dhoni wk/c (IND)
8. MG Johnson (AUS)
9. R Mclaren (SA)
10. S Ajmal (PAK)
11. J Khan (PAK)

TEST XI 2013:
1. G Smith c (SA)
2. M Vijay (IND)
3. CA Pujara (IND)
4. M Clarke (AUS)
5. I Bell (ENG)
6. V Kohli (IND)
7. AB de Villiers wk (SA)
8. SCJ Broad (ENG)
9. VD Philander (SA)
10. S Ajmal (PAK)
11. DW Steyn (SA)​

Shahbaz63

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
In Test XI , I think batting position matters alot, you kept DeVilliers at no.7 Kohli at no.6 .. Where as both of them never played at that position ... Team looks perfect but not balanced all top middle order batsman in Team

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
In Test XI , I think batting position matters alot, you kept DeVilliers at no.7 Kohli at no.6 .. Where as both of them never played at that position ... Team looks perfect but not balanced all top middle order batsman in Team

Yeah I cheated a little, but I don't think movement of a single position would affect such great batsmen.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
The runner up for 2013 is Ian Bell, supposedly England?s most aesthetically pleasing batsman since a certain Lord Gower. Whether or not that is true, is up for debate, but he is most definitely the man to count on when the chips are down. In the miserable Ashes series in Australia, Bell is the only batsman who seems up for a fight.

call me mental but ian bell, "up for a fight" or not, was absolute dog turd, lika all english players bar stokes, in australia.

only passed 50 once in the 5 tests against new zealand to. these things are always subjective but er, no, he was not even remotely close to being among the best batsmen of the year.

not sure about clarke either but at least there's a modicum of a case could be made for him.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
call me mental but ian bell, "up for a fight" or not, was absolute dog turd, lika all english players bar stokes, in australia.

only passed 50 once in the 5 tests against new zealand to. these things are always subjective but er, no, he was not even remotely close to being among the best batsmen of the year.

not sure about clarke either but at least there's a modicum of a case could be made for him.

Over a 1000 runs in 14 tests, yes he has been up and down but he has 3 Ashes centuries against Australia, one of them came when the next best score was 45. Bell has shown a gritty side, not to mention 2 fifties down under. I was impressed by him and I'm not even a fan.

And you're not sure about Clarke being the best batsman? 4 centuries, one against India, a team that brushed Australia aside, the only batsman who seemed to handle the spin. Centuries against England, home and away. What else is he supposed to do.

I know there are cases to be made for a couple South African batsmen and maybe even an Indian but they just haven't played enough tests in 2013.

It's not like Steyn, who in so few tests took so many wickets at an astonishing rate.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I don't agree, it would take somet pretty nifty arguements to convince me bell scoring loads against a johnson-less australia at home beats de villiers.

Ab only ended 70 runs behind bell and scored a century more, including one away from home.

bell took 6 more tests to make those 70 runs and scored all this centuries at home, bell had a good series, Ab had a good year.

steyn took 18% less wickets than broad and Ab scored only 8% less runs than bell so the steyn comparison isn't really correct. but the average of 77 to 41 tells you enough without the closer analysis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread