The Reintegration Thread

There has to be more to this than meets the eye. He seems to be saying he only wants to play Test and T20 (bit like Swann) but because of contract has withdrawn from ODI and T20.
So as stated its tests and all the money that goes with the T20 tournaments around the world for him now

Strange decision but KP does suffer from fitness issues and at 32 he does not want to risk his test career. I hope he does not burn himself up with all the T20 crap that is sure to prop up around the world with the success of IPL.

With a glimmer of hope I feel it should be a temporary retirement. Unlikely but maybe he could be back.

Wow, I didn't see this coming...weird timing.

I'm not surprised that he's retired from ODIs, as he's made noises about not liking the schedules with the amount of games. What I am surprised by is the short-sightedness of the ECB saying that you have to retire from both formats. or neither of them. Seems a bit strange to say that they get planned together when it's two different squads with different captains. We're losing a good T20 player because of that decision essentially, which is crazy.

Saying that, this will probably result in Cook opening in T20s. At which point I will poke my eyes out. :p

How is Strauss playing the ODIs then? Isn't he virtually retired from T20s?

Well this messes up the balance of the T20 and ODI teams, since ENG don't have a replacement for him.

How is Strauss playing the ODIs then? Isn't he virtually retired from T20s?

Guh?

Strauss only plays Tests (and FC's for Middlesex)

Replacement, yes, that's an interesting one. Do we go back to a keeper opening? I don't think that's worked, Hales given a run?

*suggests the typical Sussex bias and Chris Nash.

There goes our chances of another World T20 title lol. As for the ODIs, he was just beginning to look like the old Pietersen in the 4-0 series win against Pakistan in Dubai, teaming up with Cook at the top of the order. DAMMIT!

We're losing a good T20 player because of that decision essentially, which is crazy.

Saying that, this will probably result in Cook opening in T20s. At which point I will poke my eyes out. :p

This.

I would suggest Steve Davies as replacement opener or perhaps Alex Hales. In any case an aggressive opener is required to pair up with the brutal stroke-playing of Alastair Cook . . .

They made it sound a lot bigger than this on foxsports - "Kevin Pietersen drops bombshell: I quit"

Can't complain too much about this at least he is staying on for Test cricket and no just chasing T20 money.

Just saw this on cricinfo and am stunned. KP is obviously looking to make mega bucks in the IPL, come back to England for tests and not have the hassle of all that travelling for added on ODI and t20 series'. Pretty selfish of him if you ask me, especially since he would have added depth to t20 team for the upcoming tourney and definitely progressed as an ODI player in the coming months. Then again, money talks.

Didn't realise that if you rule yourself out of either t20 or one-day over cricket, the ECB automatically rule you out of the other format, under the terms of the central contracts.

Will be a good test of ECBs 'rules'. Here's arguably your best T20 guy, but he only wants to play T20, not ODIs. Will the ECB change the rule?? Can they change them or is it legal? What if KP gives up his central contract? Not sure he'd pick T20 internationals over Test cricket. There's hardly enough of them, and the pay is no better than Tests.

this is really odd, especially in light of the t20 tournament on the horizon. I was looking at t20 records after sifter had mentioned that we should a sort of all time thread when it was closer and found KP has a good claim to being the best t20 international batsman playing. .

Researching already?? :D I like it :yes

I'm kind of disappointed, players like Pietersen are what keeps one day cricket exciting. I wonder how big of an impact this will have on ratings etc. because for a lot of people hes the guy people will tune in to watch. Always will remember that series vs South Africa at the start of his career, scored 3 hundreds iirc

They made it sound a lot bigger than this on foxsports - "Kevin Pietersen drops bombshell: I quit"

Can't complain too much about this at least he is staying on for Test cricket and no just chasing T20 money.
You reckon that sounds bigger, read the Daily Mail's leading paragraph: "Kevin Pietersen put his Test career in jeopardy on Thursday when he enraged England by turning his back on limited-overs cricket."

Users who are viewing this thread