The World's Top Earning cricketers - Forbes

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Every keeper in world is better than Dhoni. Still he gets fat pay cheques. Thats what matters. :p

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Nope I've seen Haddin take the game away from plenty of teams in the past. I'd back him to do that more then save a game for Australia. And please don't say Dhoni's captaincy gives him an edge, because tbh it doesn't.

Then you don't understand how the Indian market works. It does. I can imagine little kids wanting to be Dhoni. He juggles wicket-keeping, batting and captaincy. It's an admirable quality and is very marketable. Plus, he's successful.

If you're saying it doesn't give him an edge over Haddin, well, you're still wrong. His batting and keeping has improved so much ever since he got the responsibility of captaincy.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
His batting is only good for hit and giggle cricket. One test century four or five years ago? Haddin surpassed that already.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
His batting is only good for hit and giggle cricket. One test century four or five years ago? Haddin surpassed that already.

Once again, his batting has improved tenfold since captaincy. He averages 60 as captain in test matches, with 7 fifties in 11 innings. I'd take that tbh. This is only in 7 matches btw so I'm certain that he'll get a century soon enough and allay all doubts over his batting ability.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Then you don't understand how the Indian market works. It does. I can imagine little kids wanting to be Dhoni. He juggles wicket-keeping, batting and captaincy. It's an admirable quality and is very marketable. Plus, he's successful.

If you're saying it doesn't give him an edge over Haddin, well, you're still wrong. His batting and keeping has improved so much ever since he got the responsibility of captaincy.

Yea I was meaning it didn't give him an edge over Haddin. Dhoni's captaincy is poor at best. In New Zealand it was shocking at times and from what I've seen in Sri Lanka it isn't much better. He's a very overrated captain.

I do rate his batting though and I agree with what your saying about improvement. I think he'll eventually average 45+ in test cricket with the bat.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Dhoni's captaincy is very good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the guy.

The biggest problem Indian capatains face is bringing the team together - there are so many superstars like Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag etc and forcing them to listen to a young guy like Dhoni takes a lot of leadership IMO. Also, the Indian team is completely diverse, in religion, economic background, and language. Bringing them all together and work as a unit is something Dhoni has done very well, and as long as he continues to do so he will be a good captain for India.

It's not like we haven't performed under Dhoni either, we've been pretty dominant the whole time.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Your've been dominant because India has a very good team at the moment, Dhoni's captaincy is hardly the reason behind that.

You know the Indian team far better then I do, and I don't know anything that's happening behind the scenes. But from what I've seen on the field Dhoni's captaincy isn't as good as some people make it out to be.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Dhoni is more marketable now given hes younger than Tendulkar and he hasn't been the face of products for over a decade like Tendulkar. He also has the looks to appeal to the women, current Indian captain and early in his career he had the attacking factor which fans love.
Oh definitely. But Tendulkar has been a stalwart for ages and he's still plastered all over the telly. Surprised that Dhoni caught up to him so quickly.

Re: Dhoni's captaincy. It may not be superb, but I'd say he's one of the better international captains out there right now. Compared to our last two captains--Dravid and Kumble--I think Dhoni is a lot better (closer to or equal to Ganguly, definitely). Let's look at international captains: Ponting, Strauss, Sangakkara, Smith, Gayle, Younus, Mortaza, Vettori, Dhoni. Dhoni's better than (imo) Gayle, Younus, Mortaza, Ponting. I'd say he's on par with Strauss (having not watched The Ashes) and Vettori. Sanga hasn't been tested yet and I think Smith is the best captain out there.

Howsie, you also say our team is a lot better now. Let's look at our Test XI under Dhoni:

1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Laxman
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Ganguly
7. Dhoni
8. Harbhajan
9. ZaK
10. Ishant
11. RP/Mishra

The team is almost identical to the one we've been playing over the last few years except for Gambhir (who had been in and out earlier), Ishant and RP/Mishra. I'd say Ishant Sharma makes up for the loss of Kumble. We've lost Ganguly now, so it will be interesting to see if Dhoni can extract the best out of Yuvi (he's done it in the T20's and ODI's for the last few years, so maybe he can do it).

A good captain isn't only measured by how well he strategizes but also how much he can extract out of his players. Kumble/Dravid had a tough time getting a lot out of the same bunch.

Anyways, enough OT. :p

domaink

School Cricketer
I am new here, should not be contradicting what the biggies are saying, but I think you all are thinking in the wrong line here.

The world of advertising and endorsements is a ruthless world. It does not calculate averages, does not see strike rate, does not understand results, does not care for looks, does not give a damn if you hold records. The only thing that matters in this world is popularity or "brand value". Nothing else matters.

For example, in Pakistan, from an endorsement POV, who do you think will matter? Inzamam? Yusuf? Miadad? Abbas? Waqar? I think the one who will beat them all is Afridi. Yes, with that nothing average, Afridi will get more than what an Inzamam will get because Afridi is more popular among the general crowd of Pakistan (don't try to find logic behind that).

Dhoni gets what he gets because he is popular. Lets see why:

1. His entry into international cricket was phenomenal. The big centuries he scored made him instantly popular.

2. His nature: he is an easy going, uncomplicated person. He has a disarming smile, a carefree attitude and with that he goes on to achieve the impossible.

3. This is most important: His small town upbringing. He came from a background that most people in India are familiar with. He was a ticket checker on a famous railway junction in India. He is one from the crowd. People identify with him. Tendulkar is a dream, a fantasy, a larger than life hero. Dhoni is a reality, make belief. People fantasize about Tendulkar, but they believe that Dhoni is one of them and they can be a Dhoni. Nothing works better in advertising than making your TG identify with the model.

4. Dhoni's achievements are great. He is a go getter. He believes in winning matches. He has done for team Indian what no one else could do in the past: win and win plenty of matches outside India. He is an icon of success- success the hard way. He always finds a way out of trouble. He is never short of plans. He never panics, he is always cool, cunning and talented. Even when he loses, he maintains that carefree attitude. He never looks down and out. Dhoni is hope for youngsters, he stands for what India's next generations are. He is what they want to be, whatever fields they are in. He is a "role mode."

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Oh definitely. But Tendulkar has been a stalwart for ages and he's still plastered all over the telly. Surprised that Dhoni caught up to him so quickly.

Howsie, you also say our team is a lot better now. Let's look at our Test XI under Dhoni:

1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Laxman
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Ganguly
7. Dhoni
8. Harbhajan
9. ZaK
10. Ishant
11. RP/Mishra

The team is almost identical to the one we've been playing over the last few years except for Gambhir (who had been in and out earlier), Ishant and RP/Mishra. I'd say Ishant Sharma makes up for the loss of Kumble. We've lost Ganguly now, so it will be interesting to see if Dhoni can extract the best out of Yuvi (he's done it in the T20's and ODI's for the last few years, so maybe he can do it).

A good captain isn't only measured by how well he strategizes but also how much he can extract out of his players. Kumble/Dravid had a tough time getting a lot out of the same bunch.

Anyways, enough OT. :p

Not trying to go way off topic but hasn't that always been a problem for India in the past, a good opening batsmen? Since Dhoni has taken over we've seen two players Sehwag and Gambhir really up their game.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Pakistan best marketable player was and still is Wasim Akram. :hpraise

Users who are viewing this thread