Things I would like implemented

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I posted this at the Codies forums, but thought I would post it here too.

Here are some of the things I would love to see implemented in this game (based on what I have seen from Cricket 2004). I know that you might have seen some of these suggestions before and I know its too late as development has started etc, but hey, I like to dream

Gameplay

A stamina rating that actually works (cough?EA?cough), resulting in proper thought being given to selecting bowling line-ups, and when to make bowling changes. Stamina should replenish slightly during intervals and completely when starting a new day in first class games

When pitching as short as possible on the hardest surface in the game at the fastest permissible speed, the ball should only rarely go over the wicketkeepers head for 4 byes. (unless bowled wide of the wicket keeper)

Batsmen able to dive when running between the wickets (manual option)

When batting, the same stroke, when well timed, should not always go in exactly the same direction with the same power each and every time.

Wicket keeper and slips to occasionally drop the ball

Wicket keeper to occasionally miss stumping chances

Variable pitch conditions. In 4 or 5 day matches, the conditions, and when appropriate the pitch type should change. Perhaps before the start of a match have a long-range weather forecast, which isn?t always 100% accurate, to aid team selection.

There should be plenty of playing and missing by batsman when the new ball is used or when a batsman first comes to the crease. (especially for tailenders). Obviously the chances of missing the ball should be reduced when the ball would hit the wickets, to prevent low scores
Consequently should be plenty of appeals for caught behind when playing and missing (and sometimes nicking) the ball

Field settings should be fully editable ? even the default fields the cpu uses. This is to prevent unrealistic fields being set by cpu when human bats.

AI

In tests and one dayers, the cpu makes bowling changes according to the pitch type, stamina, overs left (ODI), and current form. If a spin bowler is being carted at 8 rpo on a dusty wicket, then take him off for a while. The fact the wicket is dusty does not mean the spinner is used constantly if his figures/form does not warrant it.
Also the bowling changes should be realistic. I.e. no part time bowlers as first change etc. Part timers should only be used almost as a last resort. The best bowlers should be left to bowl the death overs in an ODI unless the match situation dictates otherwise. e.g if 30 runs are needed with 20 overs remaining, the cpu should use it bests bowlers now, and not leave it till its too late

When batting (in tests and ODI), the cpu should always take in account the match situation.
I.e. when batting first in ODI, the overs remaining, wickets left etc should be taken into consideration when deciding on how aggressive/defensive to bat. This should take precedence over a batsman?s own aggressive rating.
When batting second in ODI?s, again wickets left, runs required and most importantly overs left should be important factors in deciding how cpu paces its innings.

In tests, the cpu shouldn?t always automatically enforce the follow on. E.g. on a dusty wicket, where it?s only going to take more spin by the fifth day, if there is time remaining the cpu should bat again to put the other team out of contention, and make the human player bat out the last day on the hardest of batting conditions.

When batting, the cpu should be capable of strike retention logic. E.g. a recognised batsman is in with a tail ender. The recognised batsman should make every attempt to farm most of the strike in every over.

The cpu should vary its starting XI?s depending on form, fitness and pitch conditions.

The cpu should sometimes change its mind when half way through a run when batting

The cpu should bowl to a game plan. If a batsman has a weakness on the off side, then the cpu should recognise this and pack the off side with fielders, and bowl mainly on the off side also. Again if batsman has weakness against short pitch bowling, then cpu should put in a short leg, deep square leg etc and bowl some bouncers.

Cpu fielding wise should react to what?s happening on the field. If human is constantly hitting boundaries in a certain area, the cpu should look to block the scoring opportunity, or even change its line and length.
Also the cpu should recognise the match situation. If a number of tight overs have been bowled, the cpu should look to bring some fielders into catching positions (if this is not the case already). E.g. a spinner has tied the batsmen down, then might be good to bring in a short leg or slip etc. Of course match situation might dictate otherwise. E.g. if team batting is 350-3, then it will be less likely to being in fielders into catching positions than it might if human was 150 ? 5 etc

There is plenty more I could write, but I think that's enough for one day ;)

zim

HEY Cool man good thinking i guess some of these will be implented in the game but some of them will not. That what i guess.

A really good compilation Zim. And none of these ideas are as far fetched as some of the suggestions on the forum, so if the development team really apply themselves, many of these could be actually implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread