True cricket fans :)

mattyhiggins

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I often see threads where people discuss the year that they are in on ICC...and it amazes me that some people are up to the year 2070 and so on.

For me the true fun off ICC comes from truley captaining your team. I very much dislike getting through a game in 5 minutes. or even skipping games.

Heres what i do.

Watch every ball (using the next ball tag)
Set fields based on bowler strenght/batsmen weakness.
set line and length in the same way as above.
Set fields to allow try and get the better batsmen off strike.

I can only truley enjoy the game if i play it like this, im sure some will disagree.

Whats your opinion?

I cared more about the in game details in the beginning. But now I like to just rack up nice looking stats for my gun players

I wish the game had a slightly more fluid interface to allow you to play ball by ball without getting RSI from clicking "next ball".

Do you get significantly better results playing ball by ball?

I wish I had the patience to play like this, but the game just isn't that good to put that amount of effort in.

I press space(Over by over) in the starting after deciding the tactics.Atlast i press backspace(Ball by ball) if its a thrilling match.

Thank you mattyhiggins, finally someone who plays the game like I do!

I also watch every single ball, including the dots, and I really like to take my time with setting the fields, getting the better batsman off strike, like you said.

It takes me an hour to complete a single day of a County Championship match. Personally, I enjoy the game more when I take things slowly. I always play ball-by-ball in one-dayers and sometimes in the first-class matches as well.

My game date is the 12th of August in my 3rd season on ICC 2005.

Two other things I like to do in this game are:

1. Visit the cricinfo profile pages of each non-regen player whom I have inherited, to develop a genuine interest in my players.

2. Instead of buying superstars, I think there is more satisfaction in having a squad full of homegrown talent. This season I have no overseas players, my squad consists of 3 homegrown regens, one young keeper who I bought (Tom New), and the remaining players were all part of the original Middlesex team that I inherited.

Besides, it helps that I live in Middlesex, in the UK, so I genuinely care about the team!

P.S. Shameless self-promotion, but have you tried my custom fields? They're in the downloads section of this forum, and are perfect for those who play the game at a leisurely pace.

fully agree with matty higgins and fisch, this is the only way to play the game, afterall its a cricket captain game, how can you captain a team with just looking at the results, I also believe you do get better results by watching every ball and reacting to certain situations.

Matty higgins, can i sense you are the guy playing club 1's as a leggie, a member on the world cricket forums and really big shoe on msn :p

Test matches would take days to watch though! and with dodgy graphics, I wouldn't do it. I just like being able to get through a test series in an hour or so, with wickets highlights while I'm bowling and none for batting. I don't notice any difference in performance with highlights level.

fully agree with matty higgins and fisch, this is the only way to play the game, afterall its a cricket captain game, how can you captain a team with just looking at the results, I also believe you do get better results by watching every ball and reacting to certain situations.
You probably do, I play over by over as just don't have the patience to watch every ball as its so repetitive.

yeah i just started icc 3 the other day and i watch all the highlights but i set my tatics before and view the over . i get very good results and am playing the international career part at the moment with the west indies and i have seen some good results espicially for Daren Ganga he made 155,91,95 and made some other good scores and when he was drafted into the the team he had average a meager 25+

That could be form though, I've had a bowler averaging under 20 get 99 and 57 without any highlights.

I play depending on my mood.

When I want a quick game, I don't watch any highlights, use default fields, set custom lines and lengths and just manage my bowlers.

When I'm in the mood for a proper match, I use highlights for boundaries and wickets and chances, but still use default fields.

I use custom fields in really close matches. Aggressive fields when I need wickets and time is running out, more defensive ones when trying to force a draw, and in OD games fields according to the batsman's strengths...

Sometimes when I have a new player debuting, I watch all the deliveries they face/bowl. I imagine batting stances and bowling actions for all my players, and give them a personality to match their preferences. Aggressive players have strong, bustling actions and powerful stances, defensive ones have neat techniques and smooth actions, etc. Thier name also influences what kind of player they are.

In year 2020 something in one game, 2010+ in another, and several other little games with NT teams...

I play ICC that same way.
Ball by Ball. for me is exciting only in ODI
but in Test I do the whole over 1 time.

Going to bump this.

I decided to start a new game on ICC3 the other day and decided that I would watch every ball. Played my first match (Me as Kent of course, versus Sussex, away). I've never won this fixture, best I've managed is a draw (I've always played over at a time before) but I managed a quite convincing win this time (9 wicket win and I might add that I lost the toss), it took me about 4 days to play the game but I think it was worth it. I found I was moving the field around much more and actually was setting much more aggressive fields than I usually would. I was also more critical of my bowlers - somehow it hurts more to see your bowler go for 2 fours or a six in an over than it does to read about it! Did cheat a bit when batting and decided to play over at a time, but did watch every ball.

One tip though, turn off the sounds and commentary and put some music on instead!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread