Using my TV as an output device.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Right, my dad just bought a new TV today. It's a Samsung LE32B530 1080p. The thing is I have loads of HD content on my Laptop which I have downloaded, but I can't experience it in full HD because it's a crappy Laptop, therefore I want to use my 1080p TV to output the videos from my Laptop to the TV Screen.

So far I've looked at this Adaptor/Cable. But I'm still confused if the HDMI cable solely carries the video and audio to my TV - or do I need seperate cables for this?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also what about this?

Last edited:

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Right, my dad just bought a new TV today. It's a Samsung LE32B530 1080p. The thing is I have loads of HD content on my Laptop which I have downloaded, but I can't experience it in full HD because it's a crappy Laptop, therefore I want to use my 1080p TV to output the videos from my Laptop to the TV Screen.

So far I've looked at this Adaptor/Cable. But I'm still confused if the HDMI cable solely carries the video and audio to my TV - or do I need seperate cables for this?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also what about this?
I m not sure but does your onboard GPU support HD ? That should be related to playback of videos

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Na, I don't think it supports HD (My Laptop). It's an Ergo Microlite XL, so it's pretty old. The Graphics card is an Intel 82852. But what has the Laptop's GPU got to do with the output device?

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Na, I don't think it supports HD (My Laptop). It's an Ergo Microlite XL, so it's pretty old. The Graphics card is an Intel 82852. But what has the Laptop's GPU got to do with the output device?
Even though you will be using u r TV for output still it just acts like a monitor HD is just the highest resolution for normal consumer that resolution should be supported by your GPU

In simple language TV acts only as your display but image processing is done via GPU (which should support HD resolution) I m not too sure about this you'll need to ask experts like Abhas or Kshitiz_Indian :) Good Luck

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Thanks for enlightening me Omkar. I understand now. I reckon I should be fine using an Adapter/Cable lie this one >> 1.8m VGA to HDMI Cable Adapter M/M For Laptop PC LCD TV on eBay (end time 28-Dec-09 07:34:46 GMT)

I'll try to contact Abhas or Kshitiz_Indian though.
The link you posted has this line check this carefully:

"NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information."

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Considering that won't actually work, just get something like this: Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p AVI Xvid MP3 on eBay (end time 08-Jan-10 19:03:59 GMT)

You can certainly get them cheaper elsewhere, but that way all you'd need to do is connect the computer via a network cable (or just an external HD with the files on it) and then it plays it out in full HD. More importantly it will be the box doing the HD work, so if you are getting any playback issues on the laptop, it will be fine through a box like that, and it would also do it in full 1080p, as opposed to the cable idea, that would just do it scaled to whatever resolution your laptop screen is, and then back up to the TV's screen.

(though I just use my Xbox to stream from my PC to the HD TV)

HDMI is audio and video by the way and do not bother with gold plated cable, it is sending a digital signal digitally, there is no possible way the cable can impact the quality of the output, as long as the cable is somewhat insulated from electrical interference (as all of them would be).

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks for that Matt. After thinking about it, I think a Digital Box will be better. There will be less hassle and it will be simpler to use. I'm mainly looking to play MKV files and after looking around, I've found this - Sumvision Cyclone MKV FULL 1080p HD Adaptor Media: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

For that product will I just need one HDMI cable to connect it to my TV? Or will I need separate cables for the audio? Because I've heard that for some products a HDMI cable only does the video - Not the audio.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The WD device I've mentioned gets fairly good reviews, and isn't half as ugly as that one, and also does MKV (though doing MKV isn't an end all, it is a container, so you may find most stuff works but some files don't, if they use an odd encoder/settings).

I don't really know enough about HDMI to know the answer on the audio, though the specs for the WD says it does do it.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
A regular HDMI Cable does both, Video and Audio. (The ones with HDMI jacks on both ends)
Looking at the VGA to HDMI Converter, I can't possibly understand how it can transmit sound, considering, it is only connecting to the VGA port, which does not have any relation to audio.

Your best bet is to buy any of those two boxes to experience proper HD quality content.

Because your laptop is old, as omkar pointed out, even if you connect it to the big display, the videos might be choppy due to the graphics processor.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Buy a PS3 and play your MKV files on PS3 using PS3 media server. :p

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
HDMI transports both audio and video. Ideally, I would've advised your Dad to buy a TV with one or more network interfaces. I just bought my TV about 2 months ago and it has an ethernet input that just hooks into my home network and can pull off videos from the network share. Samsung has WiFi models, too.

Anyways, that's out of the question so yeah, your only option is to buy a separate media box.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Buy a PS3 and play your MKV files on PS3 using PS3 media server. :p

Already in my bedroom, CBA to bring it downstairs. :p:D

HDMI transports both audio and video. Ideally, I would've advised your Dad to buy a TV with one or more network interfaces. I just bought my TV about 2 months ago and it has an ethernet input that just hooks into my home network and can pull off videos from the network share. Samsung has WiFi models, too.

Anyways, that's out of the question so yeah, your only option is to buy a separate media box.

Really? TBH I never even knew TV's had WiFi. If I had known I would have considered it with my dad before we bought this model. That information will come in handy when we next buy one. Cheers for that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread