Vaughan, England ODI Captain

B

bomber

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) today announced that Michael Vaughan had been appointed England's new One-Day captain.

The 28-year-old Yorkshire batsman succeeds Nasser Hussain who stepped down as captain of the One-Day side following England's World Cup exit.

Vaughan, who has captained England A and England Under 19s, will lead England for the first time in the forthcoming NatWest Challenge series against Pakistan and in the NatWest Series against South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Chairman of Selectors, David Graveney, said: "As well as being a world class batsman, Michael is a strong character with a sound cricketing brain. Whilst he does not have extensive captaincy experience at County level, the selectors firmly believe he has the personal attributes required to handle the pressures of the England One-Day captaincy both on and off the field.

"We have no qualms about splitting the Test and One-Day captaincy in this way. Other countries have operated this policy successfully and we see this as a terrific opportunity for Michael to demonstrate his undoubted leadership qualities."

Michael Vaughan said: "It's a great honour to captain your country and I had no hesitation in accepting when the selectors offered me the job. It's something that I've always wanted to do and I intend to enjoy it.

"Nasser is an inspirational leader and he will be a tough act to follow as One-Day captain. But every captain has his own style of leadership and I want to do the job in my own way.

"I'm under no illusions. Whether it's Test or One-Day cricket, the England captain's decisions are always under the microscope. That doesn't bother me. I'm a big believer in the team ethic and if England are to improve at One-Day level, we need eleven `captains' out there, not just one."

It has been decided that the England Test and One-Day captains will no longer sit on the four-strong selection panel. This decision will ensure continuity in selection although both Test and One-Day captains will continue to be closely consulted as part of the selection process.

The International Teams Management Group (ITMG) has appointed the ECB National Academy Director, Rod Marsh, as a new selector and he will join David Graveney, Duncan Fletcher and Geoff Miller on the existing selection panel.

Commenting on his appointment, Rod Marsh said: "This is a natural extension of my current role as Academy Director and I'm looking forward to it. There is plenty of talent within County cricket and I see my job as helping to spot and develop those players who have the potential to take the step up into international cricket.

"They don't necessarily have to be players who have been through the Academy. I'll be coming into the job with a completely open mind and a real desire to try and help England progress as a side."

Users who are viewing this thread