We Must Play the Older Guys

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If Australia want to win back the Ashes then we cannot drop, dare I say it, the likes of North, Hussey, Clarke, Johnson or Siddle for an inexperienced (but maybe more talented) player such as Khawaja or Ferguson. We have to play the players that we know can perform on the big stage even if they haven't for a long time. Put a rocket up their arses, tell them they'll be sacked if they don't perform in this series and just scream in their faces that this is the Ashes FFS.

A great example today was Peter Siddle's six wicket haul. Plenty, infact most, people wanted Bollinger in instead of Siddle. But we all should have known that Siddle can perform like what he did today, it's just that after one or two bad series by the Aussies, everyone is jumping up and down like we're plain terrible now. The truth is that we are not terrible and we still can beat the bloody Poms.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Siddle doesn't fit the example given hes only 26, that certainly ain't old and Bollinger is far from inexperienced, hes already rated in the top 10 in the world in the Test and ODI arena aka the two formats he plays.

And by your example Hauritz should have played over Doherty and we could still be in the field with England's tail wagging and about to post 300.

Robelinda

International Coach
Johnson just builds up no pressure whatsoever, its like he's a club bowler most of the time. But he'll go for 50 runs then pick up 2 wickets and his stats look good. Doesnt matter that for a huge chunk of the day he wasnt causing any problems from his end, and letting all the pressure go that built up from the other bowlers. Not exactly a 'team' bowler.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^I think that Siddle's a lot like Mitch too. Has his one 'fired up' spell for the day and the rest is pretty lame. I really don't like retaining both of them if we can help it. Some days it works, like yesterday, but then days like Lords in 2009 come along too.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
^I think that Siddle's a lot like Mitch too. Has his one 'fired up' spell for the day and the rest is pretty lame. I really don't like retaining both of them if we can help it. Some days it works, like yesterday, but then days like Lords in 2009 come along too.

He had two 'fired up' spells, actually. There were two "clumps". The first with Collingwood and Pietersen and the second one with, well, everyone else. He also bowled a probing line to Trott. He had a close LBW shout and an edge that didn't quite carry. He did have a few overs where he couldn't quite find the right length but he was pretty consistent otherwise.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Johnson just builds up no pressure whatsoever, its like he's a club bowler most of the time. But he'll go for 50 runs then pick up 2 wickets and his stats look good. Doesnt matter that for a huge chunk of the day he wasnt causing any problems from his end, and letting all the pressure go that built up from the other bowlers. Not exactly a 'team' bowler.

That perfectly sums him up. Agree on Siddle as well, we saw a similar spell on Boxing day against SA where he got a wicket and the next one fell soon after. But after that series he didn't really deliver, he was solid in SA and then went downhill from there.

War

Chairman of Selectors
If Australia want to win back the Ashes then we cannot drop, dare I say it, the likes of North, Hussey, Clarke, Johnson or Siddle for an inexperienced (but maybe more talented) player such as Khawaja or Ferguson. We have to play the players that we know can perform on the big stage even if they haven't for a long time. Put a rocket up their arses, tell them they'll be sacked if they don't perform in this series and just scream in their faces that this is the Ashes FFS.

A great example today was Peter Siddle's six wicket haul. Plenty, infact most, people wanted Bollinger in instead of Siddle. But we all should have known that Siddle can perform like what he did today, it's just that after one or two bad series by the Aussies, everyone is jumping up and down like we're plain terrible now. The truth is that we are not terrible and we still can beat the bloody Poms.

Too early to say.

Failures to North & Hussey in this match & calls for dropping them will be ripe again & two of Hughes, Khawaja, Ferguson will have to come in. Regardless of the fact thats its the Ashes - the pressure of Ashes can also get to those so called experienced players.

Siddle just surprised everyone. For one his new pitch-up style bowling is not how he usually bowls either. When he ran through SA in 08/09 & ENG @ Headingley 09 he was bowling a more back-of-a-lenght style depending on extra bounce & a bit of seam movement.

Bollinger should have never been dropped, the selectors just got a bit lucky.

Overall though some people & some in the media have been too quick to attack AUS recent performances. AUS still a powerful side once the right players are picked & when this series is done should still be too good for England.

AARRONN

School Cricketer
I Have Three Changes i Would Make Even Though Australia do look good in the Ashes.... so far!
1. Australia needs bollinger back, drop Johnson!
- i was a big fan of Johnson but he hasn't done anything in the past 12-18 months to be in the test team! i thought the test team was meant to be the best 11 in he country?
2. Why did the selectors bring north in! D.Hussey is much better with the bat, ball and in the field! who agrees?
3.Last change, why is Doherty in the team? Yeah hes good but I thought O'Keefe would of been ahead of Doherty?

Anyways my Squad:
Watson
Katich
Ponting (c)
M. Hussey
M.Clarke (vc)
D.Hussey
B.Haddin / T.Paine
Doherty
Hilfenhaus
Sidde
Bollinger