What are the biggest differences between Battrick and FTP?

pal

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I remember playing FTP for a few weeks when it first came out. It seemed to me that it didn't contain any features that could have convinced me to quit Battrick. But, it was still in its early stages of development back then. For those guys who've played FTP for a while, what do you think are the major differences between the two games?

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well I play both games. One of the major differences is team training where everyone is trained, quicker for most abilities and you can train different types (Batting, Bowling where batting and bowling train fastest and technique and then endurance are partly trained. Batting/Bowling Technique where Technique trains faster and fielder, fitness and strength). Thats the major difference I think. The Youth Team is also a big difference since you have a squad of youth players who plaly in a youth league. It is easier since if you're stuck and can't get either promoted or relegated, you can choose to move countries and start again in one of the 2 lowest leagues in that country.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Yeah, tbh, I think FTP is better. The only downside is no FC matches but if they were, the schedule would be pretty full so I'm not too bothered and my players get tired enough as it is.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know if the match engine is that much better, like a lot of people say. It's different and produces enjoyable games, but at times it seems that tactical decisions are very much gambles. (Upsets are more likely, look at my 20/20 results this season. 8 matches, i've won somewhere around 3 of the 4 matches I have been out-rated significantly in, and have a complimentary losing record for when I rate higher, am I doing something right as underdogs, something wrong against weaker sides or the match engine is simply a bit too random? hard to say but it's fun trying to work it out)

I'm not saying it's worse, just that they have different engines both contributing to an enjoyable game.

I prefer Battrick because of FC though, such a big selling point even if it could be improved drastically. But the NT set up (involved in the scottish community etc. Can have NT players easily enough without sacrificing your own side) almost cancels the FC advantage out.

In short it's different, but that doesn't make it significantly better or significantly worse, for me at least.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
From someone who has played and done well in both:

PRO FTP:

1) FTP's engine is more realistic, more random, and more fun. Tactically it is soooo much more open. You aren't restricted as much as in BT. No BT collapses, you don't need 5 bowlers or an allrounder, part-time bowlers can do the job if used well and lower order batsmen can score runs and aren't helpless. Experience, form, conditions, all play a bigger role than in BT.
2) Community is great. BT Sledging is essentially dead, while FTP's community is awesome, active, and fun. Atleast it was when I was there.
3) Training and youth system. You have a youth team, and you train all players with 1 net each instead of 10 nets to be spread over all players. It's a excellent system.
4) The game makes more 'sense', cricket wise. Fast bowlers and legspinners are better than medium pacers and offies, but are also rarer. You need strength to be a good quick/to hit more sixes, not necessary for a spinner. The conditions actually act like you expect them too. Batsmen and bowlers have no pre-determined 'nature', so can be set on any orders, but need the right skills and 'talents' for those orders. It's just that if you set a lineup in FTP going by common cricketing logic and no prior experience, you'll do well, compared to BT where you need to work the game engine, which doesn't always make sense.
- TONS of nations represented, so it's a lot more fun. I was part of the UAE and Bangla communities/nat teams myself.

ANTI FTP:

- Engine is too random. You often feel that, like Ste mentioned, orders have no effect. You lose control that you have in BT
- It doesn't have an active PC community.
- It's a LOT more complicated than BT, and as a result a lot more time consuming

FTP is the better game, but I prefer BT at the moment for the three reasons I've listed.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
There aren't leg and off spinners in ftp. It's finger and wrist.

And the community, Nat scene aside, is probably less active than battrick sledging.

Apart from that you#re pretty spot on. In FTP you can choose between two players based on exp, or drop a bowling level or two for the extra batting depth and it actually win you the game. In battrick against good bowlers worthless to mediocre or so makes no difference. Atrocious to average can contribute match winning knocks regularly.

Although the battrick collapse issue seems to have been pretty much solved. I can no longer rely on my spinners to take the 1-2 wickets to expose the tail and knock the bottom 4-5 off in 2-3 overs any more. (A large part of my strategy was restrict them and pick up a wicket possibly with my opening bowlers, then have the spinners take a few wickets, seamers back in, then the spinners to polish them off. Now if I don't get early breakthroughs a side will almost certainly bat through)

It's a change for the better, but I would have liked some warning, I have now had a season of losing matches that with a more rounded attack (slightly worse spinners, but slightly better seamers) I'd have won.

Last edited:

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well FS and WS is like the same as Leg spin and Off spin. I just like the match engine on FTP as its more realistic for me which I like.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I've always used spin as the direction of the stock delivery. I.E Leg spin and off spin spin in opposite directions.

Murali is an off spinner, but his action is more like a leg spinner's.

Users who are viewing this thread