The PlanetCricket View: Where does Sehwag stand?

Article by Sylvester -

As each test goes by, Virender Sehwag stakes raise higher and higher. Sehwag is one of the few batsmen in the modern game whose made a name for himself through a strike rate of above 80 in Test matches. The last well known batsmen to achieve this feat was Adam Gilchrist who also managed to maintain an average in the 50s for most parts of his career. So where will Sehwag stand when he retires from the game?

When you get your first glimpse of Sehwag you would instantly think this guy will eventually get himself out. However Pakistan in particular have found out the hard way that this is far from the truth. Three of his double centuries have come against them including one of his two triple centuries. He also has a triple century against South Africa and a double century against West Indies. In between he has a number of scores between 170 to 200. This is what is amazing about Sehwag, his technique may not be the most technically correct and his method of play certainly shouldn’t lead to this sort of consistency but his aggressiveness helps him get to these high scores faster before his concentration eventually leads to him getting out.

So if we go and take a look at the stats, in terms of most double centuries, Sehwag has six of them which is only behind Sangakkara who has one more than him of the current players and equal with Tendulkar. Sehwag missed a great opportunity to equal Sangakkara in the First Test against NZ when he made 173. This leaves him fifth on the all time list for most double centuries behind a fellow unorthodox but very consistent Brian Lara and of course the legend himself Don Bradman who have 9 and 12 double centuries respectively. Now if we move on to the ultimate number – triple centuries, Sehwag sits equal with Bradman and Lara with two triple centuries. Thus in terms of going on and making the big scores Sehwag fares very well.

One of the big myths going around about Sehwag is him being a home track bully. This is far from the case with Sehwag averaging 4 runs less than his career average of 54 compared to 50 for away matches. He averages close to 60 in Australia which is no easy feat. His record in England, New Zealand and South Africa are his main weak spots. Dravid and Tendulkar don’t fare much better in South Africa but both have very good records in the other two countries which would put them above Sehwag on this front.

Sehwag’s biggest let down is his second innings performance. He averages 29.4 in the second innings with only one hundred compared to his overall average of 54 with 22 hundreds. Dravid and Tendulkar fare slightly better with averages in the 40s compared to their career average of 50. The one man that actually performs better in the second innings compared to the first is VVS Laxman who averages 51 in the second innings compared to his career average of 47.6.

The last form of comparison I’ll use is hundred strike rate. Tendulkar leads the pack with a hundred every 3.5 matches while Sehwag sits at 3.7. Dravid sits at 4.9 and Laxman gets a hundred every 7.2 matches. Both Dravid and Laxman have left a lot of their potential hundreds as fifties with both having over 40 fifties.

Overall it can be seen that Sehwag is very strong in converting his hundreds into very big scores. It is so strong that Sehwag has four scores which are higher than Tendulkar highest score in Test cricket. The thing that brings Sehwag down is his performances in the swinging tracks found in England, South Africa and New Zealand and his second innings performance. This puts him below Tendulkar and just below Dravid but above Laxman. Sehwag still could potentially have another 5 years in his career, if he can improve on his two weak spots he could well go down behind Tendulkar as India’s second best batsmen ever. Knocking over Tendulkar would take a very special 5 years.

More...

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sehwag has been playing very well in NZ. The previous tour and the one before that were just too good for him. I didn't know about his hundred strike rate. 3.7 is commendable for an aggressive batsman.

His biggest plus point is that whenever he gets a fifty, he manages to convert them (most of them) into centuries, big centuries. At one stage he had around 19 fifties and 21 hundreds. Also, he has around 14 or 15 150+ scores out of his 25 odd centuries, whereas Sachin has just 20 out of his 50 odd centuries. This just says how difficult it becomes for the bowlers to get him out once he gets in his flow.

At any stage of any match, if you would ask an expert that who should stay at the crease for a long time for team India, most of them would name Sehwag for his ability to score runs at a very quick rate. That is why Sehwag's 120 odd runs prove to be more beneficial than the 200s of Sachin, Dravid or Laxman.

I agree that Sachin is still the best batsman India has ever produced, but I don't think that Dravid should be rated as the second best. Viru can easily be given that spot. Don't forget that he was named the sixth best cricketer ever by ICC, above Sachin who was at the 12th spot. ;)

Sehwag is 32, and it is certain that he will play the 2015 WC. I have a strong feeling that he won't retire immediately after that WC, might just retire in 2016 or 2017. He has plenty of cricket left in himself. Knocking over Tendulkar as the best ever for India won't be impossible, but a difficult task. The way he has been performing for some time now, it seems as if he will be rated as the best, only after Tendulkar retires. :)

Gurjot95

National Board President
Sehwag has an huge impact of how the match will goes. Whole team and result depends on how he bats in which he has done fairly well to get team of to smacking start. You can't predict the match in opposition favors till he gets out. The reason he has many high scores in his hundreds that he has quite amount of runs before he gets tires. In modern cricket, his aggressive batting has created a fear in almost every bowler. You can check last few matches and even today's match of how the situation of match changes after he gets out and captain gets confidence of wrapping up the team soon.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I agree that Sachin is still the best batsman India has ever produced, but I don't think that Dravid should be rated as the second best.

At this stage Dravid is slightly ahead due to his better 2nd innings record and performances overseas.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Dravid is EASILY, by far, India's second best batsman. Easy. No doubt in my mind. Then it is Gavaskar.

Dravid is just as important to team India as Sachin is.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
At this stage Dravid is slightly ahead due to his better 2nd innings record and performances overseas.
Not going by the stats, but I personally feel that Sehwag is better than Dravid outside India too. :)

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Not going by the stats, but I personally feel that Sehwag is better than Dravid outside India too. :)

Yeah, I'm sure you'd think that... Anyone who knows anything knows that's an atrociously appalling statement. That's not even because Dravid is so good outside India. It's because Sehwag has never found his feet in even one of England, New Zealand or South Africa.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
As long as Sehwag is going to retain his natural style in the batting, he is going to dominate any bowler most of the times. But the moment he starts thinking otherway, i.e. to control, adapt and bat as per the situation, I feel that it will end in a big failure. Hope he doesn't change like what Sachin did in his later stage of his career.

Even in this match I guess, Sehwag was around 2 from 27 balls i.e. when he was trying to concentrate so hard in the game :p Concentrating is not his style, just hit out or get out is his style!

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Don't know why Sehwag's performance in NZ is being criticized. IMO, he is the only Indian batsman from the current Indian line-up who can survive on the NZ pitches. Just don't consider the previous test series in NZ, and Sehwag is the best Indian player on the Kiwi land.

I don't deny the fact that Dravid's role is as big as anyone else in the side. But he is a kind of player who can save matches, not set them up. :)

Yudi added 2 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

Even in this match I guess, Sehwag was around 2 from 27 balls i.e. when he was trying to concentrate so hard in the game Concentrating is not his style, just hit out or get out is his style!
2 off 23. Off late, most of his test innings have been shaping up in the same manner. Since the India-Sri Lanka test series, Sehwag has been starting his innings slowly, and then speeds up.

Surprisingly, after being 2 off 23, he changed his bat. Then he went on to score the rest of 94 from 97. ;)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think he has remarkable concentration, just not a lot of resilience. If you bog him down or even just keep him down the other end for a bit, you can get him to make mistakes. The new ball was swinging at the start of this innings, so as much as they kept Sehwag at bay, NZ really should have come closer to a wicket than they did. Maybe Sehwag would have gotten out if he tried to force it any harder, maybe NZ didn't bowl the right ball. One way or another, Sehwag succeeded.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
As far as comparison with Dravid goes, both have different playing styles and different roles in Indian cricket. The reason why Dravid is rated higher than Sehwag is not for the stats. Its because he along with Tendulkar and ganguly started India's resurgence as competitive test side after years of mediocre performances.

India did not had any settled opening pair for long and Dravid was more or less in the games in first 5 overs of the game playing effectively as opening batsman. Its also ironic that he has had success at number 3 coming in at fall of first wicket early but never got going himself as an opening batsman in test cricket.

The only thing that can describe Sehwag's playing style is Bully. He does not care if its India or abroad. His approach remains same and he has a demoralizing affect on opposition. The middle order of Dravid and Tendulkar play defensive and moderate cricket while Laxman strikes at better rate than both of them.

On recent form Dravid is no where in comparison. I would go as far as and call for him to move over so that some youngster can come and settle in test cricket at crucial number three spot while we still have services of Tendulkar and Laxman. These three are of same age and will be out at same time so its in best interest of India to take some harsh decisions.

Maybe they will continue with Dravid in South Africa as he is expected to play crucial role in India's chances there. A failure there will certainly be final nail in the coffin.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
^You just can't put Dravid just like you can't put out Tendulkar. Dravid has been a brilliant batsmen for and one of the most crucial factors in Indian dominance in Test cricket. He can be easily regarded as India's second best batsman after Tendulkar in Test cricket.

Dravid is a classier cricketer thanh Sehwag, both have different roles in cricket but Dravid edges ahead of Sehwag. It's just his recent year which has been annoying to him and India but Dravid will be a crucial factor in SA. He didn't get "the wall" and "Mr.Dependable" for nothing.

Sehwag is a fantastic batsman, no doubt but his records overseas in SA, Eng and NZ puts him a little behind Dravid and I'd put him behind Gavaskar too. He's the 4th Indian batsman for me edging ahead of Laxman and Ganguly.

He is as important to team India as Sachin is or a slightly less.:p

AkshayS added 3 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Maybe they will continue with Dravid in South Africa as he is expected to play crucial role in India's chances there. A failure there will certainly be final nail in the coffin.

And do you really want that, If the opposite happens then SA will be on his knees? Dravid can surely do a Tendulkar at this level and he is capable.

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I had been Dravid fan boy but his time is up. His strike rate is going downhill and has been struggling for any form. I cannot even remember his last substantial innings. All I remember is him boring the crowd in Australia and getting cheers for scoring singles.

Don't want to see those scenes again. Indians are very emotional but there are times for hard actions. This way Ganguly should never have been asked to retire. He was also in form of his life when he retired.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
^You just can't put Dravid just like you can't put out Tendulkar. Dravid has been a brilliant batsmen for and one of the most crucial factors in Indian dominance in Test cricket. He can be easily regarded as India's second best batsman after Tendulkar in Test cricket.

That title must belong to Gavaskar surely - I do not know of anyone who took on and dominated the west indies quicks in the 80's as well as he did.

War

Chairman of Selectors
If on upcoming tours to SA, ENG, WI, AUS in the next year. Those quality pace attacks fail him. He will go down as nothing more than a massive FTB.

But if he improves his record in those countries. Then we can righfully start talking about him as one of the great openers in test history.

Users who are viewing this thread