Which career mode is more fun? Pace bowling or spin bowling?

easybeingcheesy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to cricket. So I'm just looking see what career mode will be more fun.
I understand that this is more subjective than anything, but I still wanted some opinions.

What kind of bowling of would allow me to take more wickets? What's more interesting?
Thanks!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ive made both a leg spinner and a pace bowler.

For the leggie, I found it impossible to really “fool” the batsman. They pick your variations nearly every time in my experience. With some of the issues setting fields in career mode as well, the CPU batters will often just milk runs off you to obvious gaps you can’t plug. In limited over games, “typical” wickets don’t seem to happen very often with a batter going for a big shot and getting caught on the rope. I also found my economy to be pretty skewed. If other bowlers went for 8-10 an over, I’d go for 3-4 for some reason. Still wouldn’t get wickets though.

As a pace bowler, I struggled to have the success just controlling my one bowler as I did when controlling the whole England attack. Even using similar tactics and techniques, I never seemed to get much success.

With the Spinner, I played from the opening ashes series as England through to the end of The India series that summer. With the pace bowler I played from the Ashes to the end of the Pakistan series. Limited sample size compared to multiple years of a career, so just letting you know.

I’m not sure I would really recommend either, but that’s just my experience. See which you’d prefer and give it a go. The settings will probably dictate how much you enjoy it more than anything.

gillyboy04

Associate Cricketer
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Personally I find that spin bowlers take more wickets than pace bowlers in the game, whether it's you batting against spinners or bowling as a spinner I find that either way spinners just generally take more wickets in the game but in saying that I find that they also concede more runs than pace bowlers and have a higher economy rate.

For example in a First Class I could bowl a pace bowler for 10 Overs and he might only go for like 10-15 runs while a spinner might go for around 40 runs but will take a wicket or two unlike a pace bowler who probably wouldn't take a wicket in those ten overs. But like Rumple said experiment with both and see what you like and Enjoy!

Btw I would recommend using a Leggie over an Offie!

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I tried career as a WK a couple of times. It's not really got a feature set properly plugged in yet but I'm deffo hoping they make this more of a thing next iteration.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I tried career as a WK a couple of times. It's not really got a feature set properly plugged in yet but I'm deffo hoping they make this more of a thing next iteration.

I remember when MLB The Show put Catcher specific camera angles and the ability to call pitches into their career mode, was pretty cool. Wicket keeper doesn’t have as much involvement as a baseball catcher, but the potential is there as you say.

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
After playing Career mode purely as batsman (Right-handed & Left-handed) and pace bowler in DBC'14, I recently got hold of Ashes Cricket and decided to create a player who's a Left-arm spinner. Not sure if it's the game-play difference between career bowler in DBC'14 & Ashes, but I'm quite enjoying all the variation that a spinner is able to use in Ashes cricket. I've had some memorable dismissals in my short career (:P) so far and have managed to take 5-fer a few times in first class level as well. Only peculiarity is that while I take wickets in 3/4 day games, I'm not as successful in one-day & T20s. Batsmen keep attacking my spinner and somehow he wilts, even after trying similar variation that fetch me wickets in 3-day games. Defensive field set stem the run flow, but still I'm not able to beat the batsman in flight or get them holed out in the deep so far.

rex007king

Club Cricketer
Spin Bowling has more chance of giving you sore thumbs, from working all those extra rotations.
Pace bowling has more chances of bowling a NO BALL, with the satisfaction of bowling a bouncer.
Pacers clearly have more variations in their arsenal.

Bowling is not as much polished as batting, so no matter what you choose struggle will be there.
I play as all rounder Off Spinner, bowling around the wicket, and get wickets ocassionally.
Generally caught around silly mid on area. Few bowled and few stumpings.

If you choose to play a spinner. I'll suggest increasing BALL ROTATION, FRICTION and DRIFT from Gameplay Modifier.
It will not help you do great, but once a while a delivery beating the batsman and missing legstump will give immense pleasure.

What I have noticed that pitch condition also affect Bowling. On crumbly pitch I never get any wickets. No matter what I do gets hit for a six.
Also spin bowling is successful mostly during the mid overs when the ball is Old but not Wear Off. It turns better drifts better.

When I play as Seamer, generally call the wicketkeeper up, and try to bowl swinging delivery on the stumps for LBW or BOWLED.
Or bowl my cutters coming towards the batsman for caught behind.
Happy cricketing.[DOUBLEPOST=1545755642][/DOUBLEPOST]
while I take wickets in 3/4 day games, I'm not as successful in one-day & T20s

Same here. The white ball just refuses to turn or move.

Kenway

School Cricketer
Ive made both a leg spinner and a pace bowler.

For the leggie, I found it impossible to really “fool” the batsman. They pick your variations nearly every time in my experience. With some of the issues setting fields in career mode as well, the CPU batters will often just milk runs off you to obvious gaps you can’t plug. In limited over games, “typical” wickets don’t seem to happen very often with a batter going for a big shot and getting caught on the rope. I also found my economy to be pretty skewed. If other bowlers went for 8-10 an over, I’d go for 3-4 for some reason. Still wouldn’t get wickets though.

As a pace bowler, I struggled to have the success just controlling my one bowler as I did when controlling the whole England attack. Even using similar tactics and techniques, I never seemed to get much success.

With the Spinner, I played from the opening ashes series as England through to the end of The India series that summer. With the pace bowler I played from the Ashes to the end of the Pakistan series. Limited sample size compared to multiple years of a career, so just letting you know.

I’m not sure I would really recommend either, but that’s just my experience. See which you’d prefer and give it a go. The settings will probably dictate how much you enjoy it more than anything.

What a worthless response.. Should have just said that last sentence FIRST, instead of all that nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread