Why is Robbin Uthappa still not playing for India?

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Why is Robin Uthappa still not playing for India?

He averages 44.00 at a strike rate of 137.78 in the recent IPL.
He averages 52.20 at a strike rate of 131.25 in the recent CLT20.

*I could not get his Ranji record.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
I think mainly because our opening slots looks fine before the World Cup.Rahane,Rohit and Dhawan are the priorities and selectors doesn't want to make a mess trying Uthappa.He do got an opportunity in Bangladesh but couldn't convince selectors and the way Rahane performed in England shut the doors for him.Even if he had to come in it could have been by replacing Dhawan and Rohit but we had invested much on the two that taking them off doesn't seems to be a good idea.
Plus T20 (IPL & CLT20) doesn't really gets consideration for selection atleast for batsmen.As Gambhir said some days before T20 doesn't really indicate the form or touches a batsman is in.But still I am not against him getting selected and could get an opportunity sooner or later.

PokerAce

Banned
Why is Robin Uthappa still not playing for India?

He averages 44.00 at a strike rate of 137.78 in the recent IPL.
He averages 52.20 at a strike rate of 131.25 in the recent CLT20.

*I could not get his Ranji record.

Because those numbers are T20 stats, and hence irrelevant for the most part. If he were a bowler and being economical, then one could say, well if he is not getting smashed all over in T20, then there is a case for pushing him higher up.

For a batsman though, its more a case of if you are not going to score in T20, then where are you going to score. Yes exceptions are there, but for the most part its correct.

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Most likely because there are no new slots open in the batting line up right now. Openers pick themselves, mid-order picks themselves, lower mid order picks itself, then its the bowlers.

Where was Uthappa going to play? Why pick a player who you know is not going to get into the XI.
Just because your pockets are filled with some candies you cannot reject money from someone...

PokerAce

Banned
Just because your pockets are filled with some candies you cannot reject money from someone...

^ Haha we need to start a new Confucius Says kind of a thing along the lines of 'EARAgAV says'! -

Just because your pockets are full of candies you cannot reject money from someone ... Hahaha !

The simple fact is that squad already has three openers - Dhawan, Rahane and Manish Pandey.

The pocket full of candy philosophy notwithstanding, just how many more openers do you want in the squad for a one-off T20. Also Uthappa is soon going to be 29. Do you really think he is going to be at the forefront of the plans post the WC?

New players have to be looked at. Manish Pandey at 25 is just a much more sensible option to look at. Same for Samson. Its just so clear from the squad. Barring two players one of whom is MSD, all players are 27 or less.

What is the point of looking at a 29 yr old Uthappa now. Uthhapa has missed the bus. His resurgance (if T20 runs can be called that), has come too late.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I will disagree with everyone here. I think Utthppa should be there in T20 team as an opener. I am saying that because I haven't seen anything special from Dhawan in T20 format. Dhawan has been good in both ODI's and Tests but he hasn't done anything in T20 to convince me that he is good enough for that role. I would definitely try Utthppa especially after the way he has batted in previous IPL and champions trophy.

PokerAce

Banned
If Uthappa gets to the T20 side, then great. No issues there. However as stated above there are clearly enough justifications of his absence.

If the selectors decide to change their stance then fine. However the OP is trying to make it sound like Uthappa's exclusion is inexplicabale. All everyone is pointing out is that, that is not the case and Uthappa's exclusion is something that can be justified.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
The Century he made (120) in Duleep Trophy in a tough track to bat may get the eyes of the selectors I feel.

TanVeer7

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Bcoz he is nt a part of csk team He is one of the best player and he deserve his spot in odi,test format but the captain like Dhoni who always gave a chance for his csk mates and useless player like rayudu and,dhawan

Users who are viewing this thread