Why isn't a bigger deal being made of AI fields?

ronaldo7777

PC Journalism Contest Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
So, I'm not a person that scouers every thread by any stretch - but having only been playing the game a bit, and reading the feedback, I'm amazed more hasn't been made out of the AI field settings.

I've heard a lot about how the fielding radar isn't there - but has it occured to anyone that it's not there because it might expose more obviously just how terrible AI field settings are.

Opening up a test match - silly mid off, silly mid on - NO slips. A sweeper at deep extra cover. It basically makes test matches unplayable, really.

I hope it's been noted, but I'm amazed some much more minor stuff has been made into a big deal yet such an important part of the offline experience in it's current form is shoddy.

Love the game, best cricket game by a mile, but longer format games just don't feel right in any way with these fields. Hope they're being patched.

I've heard a lot about how the fielding radar isn't there - but has it occured to anyone that it's not there because it might expose more obviously just how terrible AI field settings are.

Its possible this thread had some merit but then you go and ruin it with this ridiculous tin foil hat nonsense.

You need to read around more.

Plenty of people have raised concerns over the AI field placement.

but I'm amazed some much more minor stuff has been made into a big deal

Welcome to PlanetCricket, home of Tindoolka and the Hellicopter shot.

Yes I've certainly raised it in the anomalies and issues thread, I've found a few times in career mode that I've been stood as a 2nd gully directly behind the first gully, but not deep enough to be a fly gully or anything.

I've noticed some of the points the OP makes, but I've had some very intelligent AI fielding placements. When I've got a bit too leg glance happy they've (on numerous occasions) placed a fielder to stop this. When I've blocked an over of a spin the next over there's one or two more fielders around the bat. When tailenders have come in most of the time aggressive fields have been set, with at least two slips in place. The AI may seem to be lacking at the start of an innings but they make up for it as the innings progresses in my experience.

Pretty much every game I have 3 or 4 players BEHIND square on the leg side, which isn't supposed to happen.
Have also had more than 5 players on the leg side.

Pretty much every game I have 3 or 4 players BEHIND square on the leg side, which isn't supposed to happen.
Yes I have tried to create a match in match creator with only 2 outfielders allowed in the entire match but as soon as spinner comes on they take 4-5 fielders outside the circle even in t20 they take more than 2 fielders outside in first 6 overs

I'm pretty sure that the AI chooses its fields from the presets so maybe people should edit those presets?

Having a silly mid on and silly mid off yet no slips never happens in real life, so if there is a preset field of that it should be changed.

This can't fix all the problems though, and the AI may still select fields that are "realistic" but not appropriate to the game situation.

Happens all the time to me! I hate it because that's were I score most of my runs.

I'm pretty sure that the AI chooses its fields from the presets so maybe people should edit those presets?

Having a silly mid on and silly mid off yet no slips never happens in real life, so if there is a preset field of that it should be changed.

This can't fix all the problems though, and the AI may still select fields that are "realistic" but not appropriate to the game situation.

After fiddling around a bit i dont think this is the case. All the preset fields seem quite realistic.
IF the AI did choose their fields from these presets there wouldnt be a problem.
The problem for me is when a spinner has two gullys in. Not side by side but one directly behind the other, a yard apart.
Or a fast bowler has silly mid off, mid off and deep long off..3 fielders lined up all directly behind each other, or as others have said fields with 3 behind square or 6 or 7 on the leg side.
It just drags you out of the immersion when things happen like that.

I've had AI set 7-2 field against me plenty of times, with 7 fielders on the leg side and more than 2 behind square.

Users who are viewing this thread