Will 3gb of RAM bottleneck a Quad Core?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've searched for answers, but can't find anything helpful, so once again I'll turn to you helpful people. :D

OK - this is what's going on: under Win 7 64bit, I'm getting considerable lag/stuttering in Fifa 11 PC (but not on any other game). If I run it under Win XP, I get no lag at all. Could it be that the game is being affected by only having 3gb under Win 7 64bit Would a Quad Core be bottlenecked by 3Gb of RAM (can't run under dual channel either obviously).

Thanks in advance. :)

I seriously doubt FIFA 11 bottlenecking 3 gigs of RAM. Why don't you minimize the game in between and check in the task manager how much RAM it actually is using?

Yea I wouldn't think it would get bottlenecked. Win7 uses 1gb max, and games normally are 1gb max.

Could be due to the gfx card. Windows 7 tends to utilize more of the graphics power for itself than windows xp, leaving that bit less for the games. Disable Aero (or whatever its called now) and see if it improves.

3 Gb ram shouldn't be a problem though.

Could be due to the gfx card. Windows 7 tends to utilize more of the graphics power for itself than windows xp, leaving that bit less for the games. Disable Aero (or whatever its called now) and see if it improves.

3 Gb ram shouldn't be a problem though.

I've tried all of that - disable Aero, Windows Classic Theme, Win XP SP3 compatibility and so on - nothing works. Fifa is using 407,324K in Task Manager. It'll be interesting to see if it's using that amount under Win XP as well.

I've got several games that would run poorly on only 1gb of RAM.

For me MW2 runs on 900mb, GTAIV on about 1gb, and BFBC2 on about the same. Those are some of the most RAM intensive games about so I can't really see many running much higher than that

I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with CPU resources allocation. Remember Fifa 09 where we had to manually set the CPU affinity to get stutter-free play?

Or it might be a drivers issue. When did you last update them?

I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with CPU resources allocation. Remember Fifa 09 where we had to manually set the CPU affinity to get stutter-free play?

Or it might be a drivers issue. When did you last update them?

I have the latest drivers - and I've tried older drivers. If it was drivers, wouldn't there be a problem on XP as well? Setting the CPU affinity seems to have worked for some people, but it didn't help me. There are a lot of people with this problem and some of them have much more powerful systems than mine.

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Tried running FIFA on lower setting? Disable AA and vsync to start with.

I've tried all possible setting combinations - that was my first port of call. Some of them actually make it run worse - that's right - worse, on lower settings. :sarcasm

Last edited:
It could be down to game as well. Remember Mafia I and Mafia II have both bought down the best of systems to knees. :p

I have the latest drivers - and I've tried older drivers. If it was drivers, wouldn't there be a problem on XP as well? Setting the CPU affinity seems to have worked for some people, but it didn't help me. There are a lot of people with this problem and some of them have much more powerful systems than mine.

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I've tried all possible setting combinations - that was my first port of call. Some of them actually make it run worse - that's right - worse, on lower settings. :sarcasm
I thought about drivers because drivers in the 64-bit editions might be different in working to the 32-bit versions.

I don't have FIFA 11 or I would've tried it. Tell you what I think its high time I download the demo... :p I'll look into it if I get the same problems, and let you know if I find out anything!

The Demo is working fine on my machine.. It does lag for a few milliseconds once or twice a match, but that's about it.

It could be down to game as well. Remember Mafia I and Mafia II have both bought down the best of systems to knees. :p

True, but Fifa 11 PC doesn't exactly push the graphical envelope.

I don't have FIFA 11 or I would've tried it. Tell you what I think its high time I download the demo... :p I'll look into it if I get the same problems, and let you know if I find out anything!

You haven't tried it yet, K.I? It's everything we've been asking for all these years, but MM has a few nasty bugs.

The Demo is working fine on my machine.. It does lag for a few milliseconds once or twice a match, but that's about it.

The full game should be fine as well then.

Users who are viewing this thread