Will quit cricket only by 2013-14: Muralitharan

Afriditown07

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Source: http://cricket.ndtv.com/storypage.aspx?id=SPOEN20100151541&nid=48308

Legendary spinner Muttiah Muralitharan on Monday made it clear he would hang up his boots only by 2013-14 as he felt fit enough to continue and has offers from English counties and would also like to play IPL.

"I think my body is good enough to play cricket for another three years. I would like to play IPL (Indian Premier League) and some county cricket in England.I have received some offers but can?t disclose them at this moment," he said during a felicitation function got up by his IPL team, Chennai Super Super Kings, here on Monday on his taking a record 800 wickets.

In an interactive session with the media later, Muralitharan said he would play for another three seasons and that he had also agreed to Anil Kumble's offer to join the Indian leggie in a venture.

However, he did not disclose the details of his venture with Kumble and was also not specific on his representing Sri Lanka in the 2011 World Cup.

"It is still too early. I want to see how I play in the Champions League and then decide on the World Cup," the 38-year-old Muralitharan said.

Sanjay Manjrekar, who anchored the function, requested scribes before opening the floor for a question answer session not to pose questions on the alleged match fixing in Pakistan's ongoing England tour.

However, Muralitharan did answer a question, saying it is for the Pakistan Board and the English Cricket Board to deal with the situation and decide. "These are only allegations and I wouldn't like to comment on these matters," he said.

Muralitharan said off spinner Harbhajan Singh has the best chance of reaching the 800 figure mark, but that he could not predict whether he would do so.

"Harbhajan is only 29 and statistically it is possible for him to reach 800. But it is up to the bowler and I can't predict anything. You should have the hunger to achieve anything," he said.

Sanjay Manjrekar and former India captain S Venkataraghavan hosted a group discussion as part of the function.

Tamil Nadu cricketers of Chennai Super Kings - Subramaniam Badrinath, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Ravichandran Ashwin, Anirudha Srikkanth and Shadab Jakati - and operations director V B Chandrasekar recalled their experiences with their famous colleague in IPL events.

Venkatraghavan, part of the famous Indian spin quartet of yester years, showered praise on Muralitharan and discussed the finer points of spin bowling.

Venkatraghavan presented Muralitharan a Super Kings team shirt with the number 800 printed on the back and the Sri Lankan star immediately wore it on the stage.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Has he forgotten how Afridi whacked him in Asia Cup? I think Murali should retire immediately. He has lost the bite he once had.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Well Afridi sure hasn't lost his bite...:D ZING

As an aside, it's funny now how Afridi is the moral choice for captaincy now only months after sticking the ball in his mouth. I guess it's the lesser of 2 evils.

And sticking on topic, I'm not sure Murali would be discourage after one guy belted him. Spinners have to put up with getting whacked all the time. I'm sure the most 6s conceded in cricket record would belong to either Murali or Warne. It's part of the job.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^lols.
Afrdi was always troubled by Murali in past. I feel he has lost a lot in his bowling lately. He will not be able to handle top Quality batsmen if he can't handle Afridi.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Just let him play, if he can make a few more bucks by playing some decent cricket then I don't see any harm in it.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
he should be playing more ODI cricket for sri-lanka before the world cup not just choosing to join the WC squad whenever he feels like.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
I think he should retire way before 2013-14. Unlike Tendulkar, who's in the form of his life, Murali's effectiveness has been on the wane. He gets whacked around a lot more than he used to.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He should certainly give a chance to likes of Mendis and Randiv.;)

enigma

School Cricketer
he should be playing more ODI cricket for sri-lanka before the world cup not just choosing to join the WC squad whenever he feels like.

Agreed. He shouldn't leave the Sri Lankan selectors hanging about whether he's going to play or not now that WC is only a few months away, he should make a decision immediately & if he's going to play the WC then start playing each & every ODI for Sri Lanka, no country should be left hanging at the mercy of whims & fancies of any cricketer, no matter how great.

Further, I agree he has lost his bite (unlike Afridi :laugh) & has waned a bit in the last few years or so but he could still be handful in County Cricket, I wonder how many Counties are vying to get him to sign a deal & wonder what the "venture with Kumble" is all about. By the way, will he consider playing in the Big Bash if approached? :D

Last edited:

subversive

Club Cricketer

Certain people are allowed a lot more freedom in this than your average international player. Tendulkar is doing pretty much the same - he hasn't played a single ODI ever since his 200*.

enigma

School Cricketer
Certain people are allowed a lot more freedom in this than your average international player. Tendulkar is doing pretty much the same - he hasn't played a single ODI ever since his 200*.

It shouldn't be happening at all. He decides to take a "rest" from INTERNATIONAL games & BCCI allows him to opt out of the ODIs BUT he tries to play as many IPL games as he can. Just sign of things to come with the rise of the IPL-monster, cricketers want to play for IPL but not their country, I wonder when will the Indian cricket-fans realise how destructive IPL can be for their national team; when IPL is done with it, Indian-cricket will be in shambles & partially world-cricket too will be harmed to an extent.

P

pcfan123

It shouldn't be happening at all. He decides to take a "rest" from INTERNATIONAL games & BCCI allows him to opt out of the ODIs BUT he tries to play as many IPL games as he can. Just sign of things to come with the rise of the IPL-monster, cricketers want to play for IPL but not their country, I wonder when will the Indian cricket-fans realise how destructive IPL can be for their national team; when IPL is done with it, Indian-cricket will be in shambles & partially world-cricket too will be harmed to an extent.

Yup, they will turn cricket into American sports. Lots of money and flash but no substance and nothing meaningful to root for. Just some rich pricks business and not a sports team.

Users who are viewing this thread