Worlds Collide - The Wise and the Young

blake

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
My name is Ray Johnson, and I love soccer. I was born here in Brisbane, Australia in 1966. My family was very AFL-oriented, and as a small child I was brought up watching and learning the game of AFL. However, it was around the age of eight that I watched my first ever game of soccer, and I enjoyed it immensely – it was a 1974 World Cup match between the Netherlands and Argentina. I watched on keenly as a player by the name of Johan Cruyff devastated the opposition with dazzling skills and superb footwork. He scored two goals for the Netherlands as they went on to win 4-0. I was amazed by what I had just seen, and vowed to take up soccer. I spent another two years at my AFL club before finally leaving, in pursuit of a soccer career.

Soccer was not hugely popular over here, as one might expect, with all the focus on the AFL, rugby league and cricket. However, there were a few local clubs and I asked my parents permission if I could sign up at one club in particular that was closest to my home – Souths United. My parents grudgingly accepted, although they would have preferred me playing the native sport in AFL. Souths United had been founded only around 15 years ago at the time and were still relatively new, with not a great deal of players. However, they did have an Under 12 team at the time and this was good enough for me. I joined the club at the age of 10.

At first I wanted to play up front or on the wing for Souths United, after watching my hero Johan Cruyff demolish Argentina two years ago in a similar display. However, I soon found out it was not quite as easy as it first seemed. Many of the other kids had already played for a few years and my technical disadvantage was easily seen early on. Despite wishing desperately for a place as a striker or on the wing in the first game of the season, I was named on the bench and came on only for a few minutes as a full-back. I wasn’t happy, but it was this game that made me more determined than anything and I managed to persuade my mother to buy me a soccer ball from the shops on the way home from the game. From then on I practised nonstop – juggling the ball, shooting at the gate in my backyard, and rewatching the one recorded match we had, between the Netherlands and Argentina. I trained with extra intensity at the training sessions that we had, and come the next game I eagerly awaited the coach to read out the lineup...

“Danny, you’re going to be keeping again today son, just do what you did last week, it was fantastic. Tom and Ricky, you guys are playing up front, Ryan and Ben you two are on the wings, David and Jon you guys are in centre midfield. Lucas and Bryce are starting as our centre mids, and Brett and Alexander are playing as fullbacks. Oh, yes and Jamie and Ray are playing in centre defence. On the bench there will be...”

Centre defence? I had trained so hard, worked relentlessly, practised all the tricks of my idol Johan Cruyff and had practised my shooting for hours and suddenly I was playing as a centre back? I couldn’t believe it – I was partially angry at my coach for putting me in defence, but also partially relieved I actually made a starting spot. I ran out together with my team for the first time, as a sense of excitement and awe overwhelmed me. I was going to be playing soccer! I followed Jamie, the other centre defender, as I didn’t really know where I was going. He pointed me my spot, and the match quickly commenced.

Needless to say, I started the match disastrously. I had no clue what I was doing, where I was supposed to run or who I was supposed to tackle. Twice I was caught out of position, up field, hoping to score a goal and our opposition were up 3-1 at half-time. Our coach wasn’t at all happy and let me know about it. He told me to get stuck in there, or else I was going to be benched for the entire next game... and suddenly something clicked in me. I was more determined than ever to put in a great performance, to show the world that I could play soccer, and that I could be a star too.

Immediately after half-time, the other team won the ball and launched an attack. Their quick striker was running at me, daring me to try something. He knew he was good, he had already scored twice, both partially due to my mistakes. He attempted to flick the ball around me but I was not going to let him score again. He attempted to dribble past me but I was having none of it and blocked his path and floored him with my shoulder. He collapsed like a sack on to the ground, while the opposition parents yelled and screamed at the referee. I won the ball and dribbled upfield, before laying on a beautiful pass to our striker who scored. It was 3-2, and everyone was furious at me. Except my coach, that is, who was yelling with delight. “Fantastic stuff Ray, wonderful! That’s how you do it!”

I was inspired, and motivated, and from there I had a blinder. I played far more aggressively, to the point where the other strikers thought twice before attempting to win a ball near me, and made some fantastic tackles – for a kid of my age. Two more of our goals resulted in my assists and we finished the match 5-3 winners, overcoming the deficit at half-time. Needless to say, our coach was chuffed. “Fantastic stuff boys, really well done. That was a great win, you really showed them up out there. Also, Ray, can you just come over here for a moment?”

I walked over to him, where he was beckoning, a little nervous at first. But, the coach broke into a wide grin and said “Where was that in the first half? You were amazing Ray, you really were. Why would you want to play on the wings and up front when you can defend like that? I think you are a natural defender. Fantastic game mate, go catch up with everyone else.”

I was delighted, and suddenly defending didn’t seem like such a bad option after all. Perhaps I was cut out for defending after all? As I got home, I re-watched the match between the Netherlands and Argentina, however this time I wasn’t focussing on Johan Cruyff or the attacking moves from the flashy strikers. Instead, I watched the defence keenly, watching the tackles, the blocks, the headers and the desperate saves. As I got further into the match, defending grew on me and suddenly I knew this was what I was meant to be.

Needless to say, I started every game in centre defence from there on and I continued playing through the junior years until I was offered a part-time contract at Souths United. It wasn’t much, only $5,000 a year, but I was delighted to finally be paid for playing a sport I loved. I was 19 at the time.

At the age of about 21, the realisation hit me that I was never going to be a world star, playing for Australia or in the English Premier League. However, I was enjoying my soccer immensely and as it turned out I accepted the fact that I was just a reasonable footballer. My career with Souths United was a long one, before I moved to Brisbane City at the age of 33. I was being paid only $3,000 a year now to play for City but I loved the club immediately. Everyone from the physio to the chairman was fantastic and I was welcomed with open arms. I played until the age of 39, still remaining as a loyal centre back, until finally a knee injury which required a reconstruction forced me to retire.

I had a fantastic knowledge of football by this time though, and following the departure of previous assistant manager Ben Drake, I was hired after I applied for the job. It was a benefit for the club, as all the players already knew me, as well as the staff, and I was a well-liked and respected figure. My pay even took a step up, as I worked on a part-time contract worth $5,250 per annum.

Then suddenly, on the 3rd of June, 2009, the long-term manager at the club Glen Thompson was diagnosed with liver cancer. It was terrible news for everyone at the club. Glen was like a father figure to some, and he was an extremely well-respected and friendly man who always had the time for anyone. He had taught me some wonderful advice over his time – not just in playing, but in coaching and managing as well, and it was a huge shock to me as I heard the news. After he was diagnosed with cancer, he agreed that he needed to spend some more time with his family and promptly resigned with a heavy heart from Brisbane City.

The job was now open and I applied for it. The City board needed no hesitation at all – I was a solid manager in my own right, and I knew every player and had experience as an assistant manager. I had a huge wealth of knowledge from my playing career and with the season not too far away from commencing they saw nobody else fit to take the job, and on the 8th of June, 2009, I was appointed as the Brisbane City manager. I was immediately shocked by the amount that I was offered - a staggering $67,000 per year, and the board would allow me to keep my current job. However, I wanted to dedicate myself entirely to football and $67,000 was more than enough to survive. I quit my job in web design and server maintenance and focussed fully on Brisbane City. This better pay off.

I already knew most of the players well, although one who excited me was 16 year old Leo Harding, a promising striker who looked like he had the potential to develop into an exciting player. However, our stocks in the goalkeeping department seemed to be lacking a bit. We had Tom Willis, a 25 year old who was reasonably competent, but I thought we needed someone who really had the potential to be a future star, and someone that could win points on his own through saving goals. I had no idea who that might be just yet, but I asked scout Tony Neill if he could kindly have a look for any potential goalkeepers for me.

Meanwhile, assistant manager Joe Prestipino, a new appointment from the board was understandably excited about finding a new club. He asked me if I wanted a friendly to be played between our firsts and our reserve team, just in case I wasn’t completely sure of a few players’ roles. He said that he could arrange it easily for tomorrow night in our home stadium, behind closed doors. This didn’t seem like a bad idea at all and I accepted the idea. So, my first match in charge was only going to be a scratch match – but I didn’t want to get off to a losing start. My career as a manager was just starting here. Do I have the potential to guide Brisbane City to promotion?

Ray Johnson

Hi there, I'm Adam Serrano. I'm am 14 years old and was born in the great land of Spain. Although I moved to Australia at a very young age. I have lived here all my life and am now an Australian citizenship - which means I am eligible to play football for Australia.

I currently play at NSW Super League team St. George. I am absolutely delighted to be playing at this club at just the age of 14 as it is a great stepping stone into Australian football. I'm a 186cm goalkeeper and I'm earning $5,250 a year which is amazing. I've grown up idolising the likes of Buffon, Casillas and more recently the goalkeeper of my favourite club, Liverpool, Pepe Reina. Despite the wishes of my father, Abian Serrano, I decided to try goalkeeping instead of being a forward.

The athleticism and thrill of goalkeeping drove me to it and I've been in representative teams and winning games with the gloves for years now. I started goalkeeping at the age of 6 in an under 8's team. I then started playing in U10's at the age of 7, U12's at the age of 9 and then I was goalkeeping in U15's at just 10 years old. Four years later and I am playing against 30 year old men in the NSW Super League.

I've been at St George for one year now, impressing the small number of fans but unfortunately not the manager. I am happy with the progress of my career so far and feel I have a chance of becoming a star in the game of football but the manager of St George is hindering me at the momeny. His training doesn't help my learning at all and he sometimes subs me off for no reason. His tactics aren't the best and I don't have a good relationship with him. I'm happy to be at a club in the NSW Super League but I don't think I will be staying here long.

Although I'm still looking forward to the start of the new season and hopefully keeping a few clean-sheets and proving to this manager that even though I am young, I still have the ability. I'm hoping we can get a goalkeeping coach for this season, or someone to help me with my goalkeeping more instead of me being forced to do more outfield training. I feel if I can get a few games in and have a good season I can move on to bigger and better things.

But until then, I've been running around with the other guys, rarely doing much for my goalkeeping. The manager hasn't been giving me much advice in these early training weeks but overall the team are looking good. I feel we can get near promotion this season - I'm just hoping I can play a little more.

Adam Serrano

------------------------------------------------------

My introduction sucks compared to Blakes. Ah well, I can't match that mammoth writing effort! :p

My question would be answered very soon – or at least partially, with my first game as manager coming up. Meanwhile, I sat down with the board just hours after my appointment. We were quite a successful club, competing in Queensland’s second tier of football, but ideally everyone wanted to make the push to the Queensland Premier League, where the big clubs played. Despite me being an inexperienced manager, thrown in at the deep end, the board expected me to at least challenge for the title. I agreed that this was fair and after a few calculations of our finance I was given $1,500 to spend on players and a wage budget of $195,000 per year. We were currently spending just over $184K so I didn’t have a whole lot of room for new signings, but thankfully our finances were superb. We still had $2.2M in the bank and I was almost a little surprised I wasn’t given more to throw around. However, I accepted my budget gratefully – I was hardly going to complain on my first day of the job. Besides, it would be interesting for me to try and find players cheaply, rather than just splashing money around.

The rest of the day seemed to whiz by – my first day in charge of a club, and it was a club I loved too. The night went quickly and then suddenly it was the 9th of June, and it was match day. Although it was only a scratch match between our firsts and the reserves, I still couldn’t help the growing nerves that were mounting in my stomach. I had never been this nervous as a player before matches – with the exception of one of my games at Souths United where a title hung in the balance. We were only set to take on our reserve team, in a match that we were comfortably expected to win – but that was the thing. A loss here would really worry the board. What if I wasn’t the right man for the job? What if I had us on a path to disaster? There were so many things that could go wrong. I quickly shook the doubts out of my head as I was eating breakfast. There were too many things to concentrate instead of worrying about stuff like that.

First of all, I had a press conference at 9AM promptly this morning, with journalist Alex Dunn from the Brisbane Football Post set to ask me a few questions about taking the new job. It wasn’t the first time I had ever done a press conference; Glen Thompson wasn’t particularly fond of them himself, so I was often asked to cover for him, but still this press conference brought more nerves than anything. I drove to our ground, Spencer Park, where he was waiting.

“You sit here as the new manager of Brisbane City, is this your dream job?”

This was the standard question asked to all new managers and Alex Dunn had obviously rehearsed for this. I was about to answer with the standard ‘of course, it’s a delight to be here’ when suddenly I began to wonder. Was this really my dream job? When I am 70 years old, do I still want to be managing here at Brisbane City? Of course not... I want to have a proper career as a manager, and perhaps the one I never had as a player. City is a fantastic club but I definitely want to move on to bigger things in time. I realised Dunn was waiting on an answer, but I could hardly tell him that this job was just a stepping stone to bigger things. ‘Just blurt out what he wants to hear!’ my mind told me.

“I’m pleased to have the chance to work here. It’s a real honour, and although the circumstances in which Glen Thompson resigned are less than admirable I’ll be trying my hardest with this club I love.”

He seemed to accept this as a satisfactory answer, before posing another question.
“What tactical outlook will you be looking to employ during matches?”

This was an easy one for me. Despite being a defender in nature, I had always favoured attacking football, when our team moved the ball more freely and created more chances. I wasn’t going to change this style either – I planned on having the team playing an exciting brand of football that could hopefully define the league.

“We’re always going to be looking to play successful, attacking football. There’s no point drawing every game nil-all and I want to give the fans a bit of excitement.”

He scribbled down my answer in his notepad, seemingly happy with what I had said.
“And, if I may ask, how heavily involved do you intend to be with the running of this club?”

Well, one thing was for sure – I was not an overseer. I was definitely going to be working heavily at the club. However, I would prefer if my assistant Prestipino took care of the reserves and Under 19s. I wanted to be able to focus on more important things, but despite not attending and managing their matches I was still going to be involved a lot in the training and running of this club.

“I’ll look to be fairly involved with the club, obviously as much as time allows me to be. I’m going to let Joe Prestipino take care of the reserves and Under 19s, as he is a good bloke itching to show how well he too can manage and so hopefully he can bring success to them. However, I am still going to make sure this club succeeds, on the pitch and off the pitch.”

Still though, the reporter wasn’t finished.
“Do you think you will be changing any staff? Bringing in any new ones?”

I loved everyone here, from the chairman to the physio, and I definitely didn’t think that they were going to be replaced – not on my orders, anyway. However I was considering bringing in some new staff. Perhaps an additional coach wouldn’t go astray. Phillip Brown, impressive as he was, couldn’t really take the entire first team and under 19s for training and so I was considering bringing in a new coach.

“I’m not going to force anyone out that doesn’t want to leave just yet, although I am considering bringing in a few new faces to help out behind the scenes.”

Dunn wrote down what I had just said, although he continued to ask me questions.
“Do you think you will be able to keep Ben Marwe under control?”
“Are you considering getting rid of Grant Last?”
“What are your thoughts on Lawrence Drake’s future?”

I stumbled through them as best I could, before finally he seemed content with what I had said, shook my hand, tucked his notepad inside his pocket and left in his car.

‘Well, that was interesting’, I thought to myself, flummoxed. Managing was perhaps not going to be as easy as it looked! I was about to head home, when suddenly I realised the real reason I was here. There was going to be a light training session for an hour and a half starting in ten minutes or so. I was going to use this as the prime time to observe my squad. I of course, knew many of the players, however there were some of the youngsters that I wasn’t so sure about and now I needed to make the big calls. Who would I call up for the first team, and who would only make the reserves? These things seemed a lot easier when it was Glen Thompson handling all these, as I only offered rare input as assistant manager. He was a confident, composed man and I suddenly realised it might be hard following in his footsteps.

Good idea. Nice start, both of yous.

And I'm guessing these 2 characters will be crossing their paths in due time.

I think mattfb will end up joining blake in the near future.
And mattfb will end up as blake's no.1 goal keeper. :thumbs

mattfb, when is your update coming up?
Isn't it your turn now? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread