wud my pc be gud enuff

akkies_2000

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
hi all.gr8 forums. i currently hv intel 845glad mobo n its not gud enuff to play cric 2004, battlefield1942 smoothly though it claims to hv capability of sharing upto 48mb. so i've planned to buy a new mobo n video driver. my new specs wud be

PIV 1.7ghz, intel 865GBF mobo, ati radeon 9600 128mb video card, winxp, directx 9, 256mb ram.

wud this be gud enuff for cric04 n new games.do let me know if there's ny conflict b/w the card n mobo as i dont want to spend more on my pc after i hv all this. ny improvement in my choices wud b appreciated :) i hope radeon wud b better than nvidia as i've read abt issues related 2 nvidia n none abt radeon.

Thanx

It's good enough for Cricket 2004, but newer games (Doom 3, Far Cry) would run crap on it- You need more RAM at least, a minimum of 512MB for new games and possibly a better processor. Is the 9600 just a plain one, or a Pro/XT/SE ? Where do you live and what price is all that?

The lower end Radeon 9xxx series of cards (9200-9600) are heaps better than the lower GeForce 5xxx ones (5200-5600)
About the processor, I'd say get an Athlon as they're better value than the respective P4's

thanx brad. alright i was thinking abt 512mb. new processor at this stage mite not b feasible for me. i hvnt followed athlon, which one is good? which of radeon wud be gud, i guess pro? i live in india. New mobo, radeon n ram wud already go over 10k rupees.

For the Radeon, XT is best followed by the Pro and SE's are absolute crap. If you were going to get an Athlon it would be best to do it now since the Athlon XP and P4 chips use different motherboards, but if you can't afford it then just don't worry and get a newer P4 when you need it.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/sb/CS-008727.htm

this is my motherboard's specs. i guess what u saw was a general description abt 845s. mine doesnt hv an agp slot. i guess i wud continue with p4. thinking abt athlons wud become a headache rite now. this is already becoming confusing. ok i wud get radeon 9600xt. 512mb ram for sure. wud think abt processors tonite.

Welcome aboard akkies, hope you enjoy the forums. However please don't type using text speak in future as it can be difficult to read. Thanks

akkies_2000 said:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/sb/CS-008727.htm

this is my motherboard's specs. i guess what u saw was a general description abt 845s. mine doesnt hv an agp slot. i guess i wud continue with p4. thinking abt athlons wud become a headache rite now. this is already becoming confusing. ok i wud get radeon 9600xt. 512mb ram for sure. wud think abt processors tonite.

Oh, OK- the 9600XT is a pretty good card for a reasonable price- with the RAM, are you buying it all new or adding to what you have already? Because what you have will most likely be slower than what you're going to buy, meaning that all of the RAM will run at the slower speed.

Form Factor & Size Micro-ATX
9.2 x 8.2 Inches

The new motherboard that you posted up the top is a normal ATX motherboard, meaning that it's 11.6 by 9.6 inches- are you sure your case is big enough?

Last edited:
Hi Zimrahil, I'm not using any text speak. Ok, I would write in full from now on.

Well Brad, I was thinking of getting another 256MB to add on. I'd find out from my vendor if a new one of 512MB would be fine or if I can use another 256 for good performance.

I didn't thought about my case. Whatever it be, I think I would go with 865GBF only, as it would support upcoming versions of P4 including Extreme Edition. Already I'm thinking about P4 2.8GHz if my current P4 1.7GHz isn't good enough. My case is quite big as I remember it having a lot of empty spaces for PCI slots. Would take a look at it whenever I get back to my place in couple of weeks.

Somebody was asking me to go for ASUS P4S800 motherboard but I think Intel mobo would be best, taking into consideration its support for future P4's. I don't want that when I've to again upgrade my PC, I need new mobo.

Take Care

Users who are viewing this thread