Young overconfident Indian squad for Zimbabwe tour

Article by Anand Singh -

Were you expecting improvements in Indian team in terms of team selection after a dreadful performance in the World T20 2010? If yes then you might have to wait for a few more months since the Indian selection committee still trust the young guns. █There is no Sachin, Dhoni, Sehwag, Harbhajan, Zaheer and Yuvraj in the team for the Zimbabwe tri-series. The team will be led by the young Suresh Raina who performed nicely in the ICC T20 World Cup 2010.

There are good selections like Naman Ojha, Pragyan Ojha and Amit Mishra in this new team but there are some selections which need to be reviewed.

Murali Vijay

He is well known for his overconfidence, wrong selection of shots and a dreadful batting performance in the T20 World Cup 2010. Whenever people expected a decent innings from him, he just ruined their expectations. Does he deserve a another chance?

Yusuf Pathan

His full name is Yusuf ?Money? Pathan. Yusuf has got too many chances in the International team but he has never proved his selection to be useful for the team. The Selection committee expected him to perform well in the World T20 after an excellent innings in the IPL but he was not able to stand in the crease for even 10 minutes. Also, he must have realized till now the difference between the T20s and the ODIs.

Ravindra Jadeja

Drop catches, inconsistency, lack of skills and lack of experience. Ravindra Jadeja may be handy for the T20s but he doesn’t suit for the ODI team. He first has to improve his basics rather than competing against the International teams.

It seems that the █Indian selectors are overconfident on their youngsters but they should keep in mind that there is also a another team in the series who have defeated them recently. This team may tackle the Zimbabwe players but it may be difficult for them to fight against Sri Lanka have who recently qualified to the Semi-finals of the World T20 after defeating India brilliantly.

Take a look at the Indian squad and then you can easily judge the intelligence of the Indian selectors:

Suresh Raina (c)

Dinesh Karthik (wk)

Virat Kohli (vc)

Rohit Sharma

Murali Vijay

Naman Ojha (wk)

Vinay Kumar

Umesh Yadav

Ashok Dinda

Pankaj Singh

Amit Mishra

R Ashwin

Pragyan Ojha

Yusuf Pathan

Ravindra Jadeja

More...

Well said Hittie!

Suresh Raina and his men all set to show a flop show even against Zimbabwe!

Last time, Coventry missed double ton, but this time, he'll do it:p.

Lol @ Yusuf "Money" Pathan.

And I guess you've forgot one word for Ravindra Jadeja.

"Consistently Inconsistent:laugh"

The article has so many mistakes. Murali Vijay hasnt played an ODI yet, and he has barely played 4 T20 innings in international level. Within this short period, from where do you call him "overconfident"? And when people like Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, etc have been continued with despite failures, why cant Vijay be persisted with despite 3 failures out of 4 total games in a T20 format?

Ravindra Jadeja is actually NOT handy for T20's. He is worst in T20's only because he cant hit the big shots, his bowling is unpredictable and not consistent. He is actually a better bet in ODI's where he has the time to play out a 'run a ball' innings and also has 10 overs where he can bring up a good economy rate and can pick wickets too. But still, I wouldnt pick him in an ODI because we can pick other more better bowlers.

We have selected guys like Ojha, Mishra, Ashwin, Yadav, Dinda, Vinay etc. These guys will be itching to get the chance to perform and show their class.

The article has so many mistakes. Murali Vijay hasnt played an ODI yet, and he has barely played 4 T20 innings in international level. Within this short period, from where do you call him "overconfident"? And when people like Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, etc have been continued with despite failures, why cant Vijay be persisted with despite 3 failures out of 4 total games in a T20 format?

Ravindra Jadeja is actually NOT handy for T20's. He is worst in T20's only because he cant hit the big shots, his bowling is unpredictable and not consistent. He is actually a better bet in ODI's where he has the time to play out a 'run a ball' innings and also has 10 overs where he can bring up a good economy rate and can pick wickets too. But still, I wouldnt pick him in an ODI because we can pick other more better bowlers.

We have selected guys like Ojha, Mishra, Ashwin, Yadav, Dinda, Vinay etc. These guys will be itching to get the chance to perform and show their class.

:facepalm

I would prefer calling it "raring to go" over "overconfident". These are talented, young players who would've been dreaming of a spot in the national side until recently and would be waiting to show what they're made up of. After all, the standard of cricket you see in the IPL is probably higher than what you'd find in Zimbabwe. And I think Ravindra Jadeja is a really good cricketer who had a couple of bad days in the T20 World Cup. He is known for being a good fielder and economical bowler who can hit the ball around a bit too. Its amazing how it all went wrong for him in the Caribbean.

I'm also looking forward to see how Ashwin does in Zimbabwe. He looked really promising in the IPL.

Last edited:
If anyone praises Murali Vijay,i will really get angry.:mad:

It's not that BCCI have selected poor players, they just want to give the seniors some rest for Asia Cup and maybe, bringing up some big talents from this tour.

The article has so many mistakes. Murali Vijay hasnt played an ODI yet, and he has barely played 4 T20 innings in international level.
Are you sleeping? Vijay has already played one ODI. You need to fix your mistakes first.

Hitterman added 1 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

@Binnu, even you have highlighted his mistake, he'll still say he hasn't played an ODI.

BCCI are going even more mad then PCB. It's luck of India that they have players like Sachin,Sehwag and Yuvraj etc. It's not a big matter if you don't play well in one tournament but the main flop is that if they want all young then what is Yousaf Pathan doing in it?

Are you sleeping? Vijay has already played one ODI. You need to fix your mistakes first.

Hitterman added 1 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

@Binnu, even you have highlighted his mistake, he'll still say he hasn't played an ODI.

Wait, why are you getting so tensed? Did you write the article? Just saw Cricinfo and Vijay has played only one ODI. I accept my mistake (I am not someone who doesnt accept his mistake if I have made one). Since he has played only one ODI, there is a high chance that anyone could not have kept that in their mind. One doesnt need to sleep to miss this info.

SaiSrini added 2 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

If anyone praises Murali Vijay,i will really get angry.:mad:

Hope you keep getting angry more often than not.:p

Murali Vijay has played very few games for someone to judge him. Maybe he is bearing the brunt of the criticism because Srikanth is the selector right now and people think he (and Tamil Nadu players) gets an unfair advantage because of that.

SaiSrini added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Failraj should not be in the squad

I agree! He comes into the side, has a few good games, then falls off the radar, gets dropped, fights back in, and go through the entire cycle again and again. I guess he has already been dropped like 3-4 times. Now he seems to be putting in lot of weight and is not the same extraordinary fielder anymore (worries too much about his knee; coz he wants to keep his place in the side).

Now he seems to be putting in lot of weight and is not the same extraordinary fielder anymore (worries too much about his knee; coz he wants to keep his place in the side).
I agree with you Sai. Suresh Raina is a better fielder than him. Now, even Ganguly seems to be a better fielder :p

After reading this I remembered 2007 T20 world cup they sent such a in-experienced team but they at very first attempt won the World Cup, So you can get jinxed anytime ;)

Tip: Never trust Indian share market or cricket team if they are down they can be on the top very next moment and goes the other way too :D

Users who are viewing this thread