2011 World Cup Squad Prediction Thread

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Should Paine be picked over Haddin ? Haddin will have to prove himself in the forthcoming series against Englad ans if he does well there then that would be his ticket to India,ese I feel that Paine might just get a look in.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^I don't think so. Haddin's ODI record is better than Paine particularly strike rate, and I think Paine is better suited for Test cricket or maybe even T20 relative to Haddin. So I think of the 3 formats ODIs is where Haddin would be safest IMHO. The dude just needs to stay fit.

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
Ricky Ponting in disguise? ;) Australian news: Ricky Ponting dreams of Brett Lee and Shaun Tait at World Cup | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com
Having both in the squad would be good but don't know about them two plus Johnson in the starting 11. Would be a bit like the T20 WC where we look great when they are on song but not so good when they aren't. Bollinger seems to be consistent in the wicket taking department while also being economical so he would be one to keep.

I agree. Lee and Tait can be very expensive and inconsistent. I'm of the opinion that you need to shut a team down as much as possible while taking regular wickets. I'd love us to find another Adam Dale to be honest. He was boring compared to his peers but he put us on the front foot just by shutting one end down.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I love Brett Lee. I'm hoping he recovers and bowls his heart out (against everyone except India) in the world cup!

Tait would get wrecked on Indian pitches though.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hehe. McKay might not look like much but he certainly gets the job done.

Really tempted to bring Hastings over Hopes now, it is a shame if we don't get the 3rd ODI to get another look at him in India. His bowling is clearly better and his batting would be about the same level.

Hopes is a much better batsman. You wouldn't really want Hastings at 7, but I'd feel comfortable with Hopes at 7. Hastings has the edge over him with the ball though definitely.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hastings is a lot better than his stats suggest, he just never gets the chance to build an innings. He has always been an all rounder not a bowler that is handy with the bat like Johnson and Lee. From what I can see they are finally looking at Smith as a batsmen so Hastings would fill the bowling spot first and if needed bat at 7.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I love Brett Lee. I'm hoping he recovers and bowls his heart out (against everyone except India) in the world cup!

Tait would get wrecked on Indian pitches though.

Why?.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
He's probably basing that thought on Tait bowling like crap for a couple of games for Rajasthan, same as Indians thinking Ponting was totally crap at T20 based on 3 innings for KKR.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He did pretty well for them early on, it's always a risk with those types of bowlers especially when they haven't played an ODI in India. So down to whether the selectors want to take a punt on him or not.

War

Chairman of Selectors
He's probably basing that thought on Tait bowling like crap for a couple of games for Rajasthan, same as Indians thinking Ponting was totally crap at T20 based on 3 innings for KKR.

Tait was still in his eratic mode during his stint in IPl earlier this year.

Since the T20 WC until he he got injured recently he has been bowling the most accurate of his career to date. So if he comes back after injury & maintains this new found accuracy he would be fine in WC in IND next year.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman

No, I have always thought of him as an erratic bowler. I think he'll be lethal on fast Australian decks in a T20, but when he has to bowl 10 overs in sweltering Indian heat, that too on flat tracks or slow ones, he won't fare as well. Especially when he starts dishing out that short and wide stuff.

Lee has bowled a lot in India and I think he can do better. Don't think he'll play/get selected/or even perform, though. Dougie is gonna be the man!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I liked the way he was used in his last ODI stint, spells of 2 overs which seem to leave him refreshed for full 10 overs. What he brings is the reverse swing factor which is handy for ODIs. How he'd go in India is the punt the selectors would have to take due to his injury.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well doing another prediction.
Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Bollinger

Ferguson/Marsh
Hastings/Hopes
Tait/Siddle
Harris

So 6 seamers if Hastings is included. Maybe an additional batsmen over Hastings/Hopes or Harris. Don't think we will take a 3rd spinner with Hauirtz and Smith.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Seems about right. The best 5 seamers we have are Bollinger, Harris, Johnson, Lee and Tait as you've put. Tait might even be more assured of a place than Lee right now. And then Siddle or McKay will feature depending on any fitness concerns, particularly with Lee and Tait. I guess Nannes would be an outside shot as a replacement too, particularly if there is an obsession for speed from the selectors and lets face it, the top 5 there all can top 140kph. Maybe they see it as the key to success.

Users who are viewing this thread