2011 World Cup Squad Prediction Thread

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looking at the selection patterns, Nannes seems well down on the list. I would say he needs a very good season to catch their eye for the OD format, would come as a big surprise if he was picked for the WC if he made little impact in the Ryobi Cup.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Oh he definitely is down the list: Siddle and McKay would be ahead, maybe Starc and Hazlewood too. I just think Nannes would be a chance if Lee/Tait gets injured and the selectors want a guy who can touch 150, looking for someone who can do a similar type of job.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
That's true, it is the only way I see Nannes getting a shot. Selectors have shown their hand by picking players who they see potential with rather than picking the solid performing players. Wouldn't mind having an Australian A OD game to see where in the pecking order some players actually are.

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
I hate the idea of picking players purely on how fast they can bowl. It's nice to bowl fast, but you want someone who can control that pace at critical times. You wouldn't want someone like that holding up one end. I'd pick Tait or Lee, but I would use them purely as partnership breakers and tail ender heroes, not as main thrusts. I wouldn't let them open the bowling either. Players like that have a nasty habit of allowing the batsman to use the pace to score easy runs and rotate the strike, especially against quality opposition. If there is a tonne of movement in the pitch i.e. green as Bob Brown or cracks so deep it looks like Enron then by all means. Otherwise...

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I hear ya, but Australia's always believed in really quick pace bowling right back to Lindwall and Miller, Lillee and Thomson. Craig McDermott would have been the quickest in the country when he was pulled from nowhere. Brett Lee hadn't done a heap for NSW in 1999, but everyone just knew the kid was FAST. And now the 6 guys up for the ODI squad are possibly the 6 fastest bowlers in the country (Lee, Tait, Johnson, Harris, Siddle, Bollinger). Nannes probably the exception and he'd be close to being in the top 10 list.

I agree that sometimes the quicks don't come off, but that is balanced by the many times they do. Look at the overall records of Lee and Tait and they are exceptional - both average 23. In fact, I'd have no problem arguing Lee is one of ODI cricket's great all-time bowlers. So while they are a riskier choice, the selectors have always backed genuine pace to find the weaknesses in opposition players and to expose poor technique.

The other problem at the moment is that there isn't anyone good who can bowl a consistent line and length. There is no Adam Dale, Terry Alderman type option. James Hopes was our line and length bowler for crying out loud. Clint McKay or John Hastings might be the closest things we have to 'steady' bowlers. Peter George might get there one day, but until then we stick with guys like Harris and Bollinger who have pretty decent control, but do it at good pace.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
No, I have always thought of him as an erratic bowler. I think he'll be lethal on fast Australian decks in a T20, but when he has to bowl 10 overs in sweltering Indian heat, that too on flat tracks or slow ones, he won't fare as well. Especially when he starts dishing out that short and wide stuff.

Lee has bowled a lot in India and I think he can do better. Don't think he'll play/get selected/or even perform, though. Dougie is gonna be the man!

I agree with you before the T20 WC this year. But this year before he recently got injured Tait has found new control in his bowling.

War added 1 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

I hear ya, but Australia's always believed in really quick pace bowling right back to Lindwall and Miller, Lillee and Thomson. Craig McDermott would have been the quickest in the country when he was pulled from nowhere. Brett Lee hadn't done a heap for NSW in 1999, but everyone just knew the kid was FAST. And now the 6 guys up for the ODI squad are possibly the 6 fastest bowlers in the country (Lee, Tait, Johnson, Harris, Siddle, Bollinger). Nannes probably the exception and he'd be close to being in the top 10 list.

I agree that sometimes the quicks don't come off, but that is balanced by the many times they do. Look at the overall records of Lee and Tait and they are exceptional - both average 23. In fact, I'd have no problem arguing Lee is one of ODI cricket's great all-time bowlers. So while they are a riskier choice, the selectors have always backed genuine pace to find the weaknesses in opposition players and to expose poor technique.

The other problem at the moment is that there isn't anyone good who can bowl a consistent line and length. There is no Adam Dale, Terry Alderman type option. James Hopes was our line and length bowler for crying out loud. Clint McKay or John Hastings might be the closest things we have to 'steady' bowlers. Peter George might get there one day, but until then we stick with guys like Harris and Bollinger who have pretty decent control, but do it at good pace.

Lovely post sir sifter..

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Oh too kind :) Another couple of accurate Aussie plodders that popped into my head: Paul Reiffel and Paul 'Blocker' Wilson. They were great 'back of a length' bowlers, but didn't have a whole lot of pace. Stuart Clark is probably the closest we have to that now, and his lack of slower deliveries really killed him off. Too easy to target by coming down the pitch. Even McGrath could be hit by doing that.

Nathan Bracken's about the only 'slower' bowler who's done well of late, and that's because he could swing it and knew how to take pace off. I can't see too many guys in Australia like that at present.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bracken's effectiveness was starting to wear off before his injury, just looked to be a Nathan Hauritz in keeping it tight but not looking threatening. Hastings and McKay always seem to get a wicket out of nowhere a bit like Johnson but they keep it tight.

lethalhughes

Club Cricketer
I hate the idea of picking players purely on how fast they can bowl. It's nice to bowl fast, but you want someone who can control that pace at critical times. You wouldn't want someone like that holding up one end. I'd pick Tait or Lee, but I would use them purely as partnership breakers and tail ender heroes, not as main thrusts. I wouldn't let them open the bowling either. Players like that have a nasty habit of allowing the batsman to use the pace to score easy runs and rotate the strike, especially against quality opposition. If there is a tonne of movement in the pitch i.e. green as Bob Brown or cracks so deep it looks like Enron then by all means. Otherwise...

Thats thinking about the negative but the positive is guys like Lee always seem to get early wickets and we know the best way to slow the scoring is by getting early wickets.I use to have that same view which you have but it didn't take long for me to realise the importants of such bowlers in odi particularly now where teams still score at a brisk rate anyway.I would agree that we cant afford both plus Johnson in the same team, thats asking for trouble.But there is a role for atleast one of those kind of bowlers in each team.If lee is bowling really well he is a lock in for me, by the way I'm not too sure about how many players will be picked but here is my squad:
1.Watson
2.Haddin
3.Ponting
4.Clarke
5.White
6.Mussey
7.Smith
8.Johnson/Lee ( if Lee is fit and bowling well then Lee instead)
9.Harris
10.Doherty
11.Bollinger
12.Tait(if not fit then Mckay)
13.Lee(if not fit then Mckay)
14.Paine
15.Ferguson or Marsh , i would lean towards S.Marsh( sorry FERGY) since i feel Marsh can bat anywhere while Ferguson can't really open.Although i would back Haddin to do a good job opening , we might still need that back up opener and i'm not completely sold on Paine opening the batting.
16 HAURITZ

Last edited:

Num

Club Cricketer
Bracken. :D

Kind of disappointed he hasn't been playing in the Ryobi One Day Cup for NSW, would've given him a chance of getting in the World Cup squad if he showed some form. As aussie1st said, he was getting less effective but that may have been a result of the pain he was experiencing with his knee injury. Besides, he's ideal for subcontinental conditions and also, he's someone that you can go to during the last 10 overs of the innings/in the batting powerplay and generally trust to keep the runs down. At the moment, Australia doesn't really have anyone that's very good at that role.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Quite a few contenders for the World Cup going around. We're going to need a back-up keeper, it must not be forgotten. If Tim Paine is running around and has had some match play before then, lock him in. If his finger gives him more trouble than anticipated and perhaps Matthew Wade gets a look in on an ODI/Test/T20I this summer, he could find himself on a plane to India.

Christian is indeed giving himself every chance of a show, what a display! This year's Big Bash could throw out a few contenders as well. 7 ODI's and 2 T20I's to get it right as well. Brad Hodge would be very unlucky not to play an international this summer.

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Johnson/Bollinger
Doherty/Hauritz
McKay
Harris

Johnson/Bollinger/Siddle/Hastings
Hauritz/Doherty/^
S Marsh/Ferguson/Hodge
Paine/Wade

That's the squad you'd think they'd pick. Perhaps another quick instead of Hauritz/Doherty, or another batsman. That would be because if our solo spinner got injured Smith could do the role, and we could play 4 quicks or 7 batsmen. We only took the one spinner in 2003/07 too, and we took 5 quicks. Good thing is there's plenty of talent in the ODI game begging to be picked, but for the World Cup we've gotta take the best.

Lee bowling @ 90 mph again & Nannes should be ahead of McKay really & of course Tait.

On the batting side D Hussey shouldn't be forgetten. I'd say he brings a better all-round package than Ferguson or Hodge to the ODI set-up.

The idea of Lee & Tait in together is really mouth watering though. Best probable team:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Hastings
Johnson/Harris
Lee
Tait

Paine
D Hussey/Ferguson
Doherty/Haurtiz
Johnson/Harris

Somehow i get a sneaky feeling if Lee/Tait are fully fit, Bollinger may miss out of the final 15.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Think Hopes could be finished with Christian amazing form. My team is changing after every month lol, update from what we have so far probably will change after the English ODI series too.

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Harris
Lee
Doherty
Bollinger

Ferguson/Marsh
Christian
Tait
Johnson/Nannes/Hastings

War

Chairman of Selectors
Think Hopes could be finished with Christian amazing form. My team is changing after every month lol, update from what we have so far probably will change after the English ODI series too.

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Harris
Lee
Doherty
Bollinger

Ferguson/Marsh
Christian
Tait
Johnson/Nannes/Hastings

Dont really rate Christian based on what ive seen of him @ international level to be honest. Hastings once fit seems the better replacement for Hopes as the #7/8 all-rounder.

Feel a bad bad for Hopes though, that he has been axed. Has been a decent but unspectacular performer of course. But i guess it was inevitable that if a slightly better player emerged in that role, he would have always lost his place.

Plus unfortunately i think they will take a back-up keeper in the final 15.

Users who are viewing this thread