England In India - October 2011/12

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Thing with Jadeja is that he was good, and then played no cricket for a long time, and was picked for the T20 WC. He was bound to suck. And then his confidence and his bowling took a massive hit. Instead of varying his flight and pace like he did initially (which made him such a useful spinner), he started bowling darts. He lost rhythm and control. And was forced to bat at 7 despite not being a big-hitting batsman but more of an accumulator.

Better players would make best use of their chances, true, but it's harsh on Jadeja as well. He has talent.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Thing with Jadeja is that he was good, and then played no cricket for a long time, and was picked for the T20 WC. He was bound to suck. And then his confidence and his bowling took a massive hit. Instead of varying his flight and pace like he did initially (which made him such a useful spinner), he started bowling darts. He lost rhythm and control. And was forced to bat at 7 despite not being a big-hitting batsman but more of an accumulator.

Better players would make best use of their chances, true, but it's harsh on Jadeja as well. He has talent.

I had no issue with his bowling. It was his batting that baffled me . How could a person who was not a big hitter bat at no 7 or 6 . I had no idea he was a accumulator . I was under impression that he was a big hitter .

:facepalm

karan316

Banned
Only issue is they're all kinda raw with the bat. Not exactly fit to bat at 7. Jadeja is the best bet IMO, but he needs to develop a bit more.

I would like to see Jadeja in the Test setup. Definitely. I think he has it in him to bat at 7 for India, pushing MSD up to 8 and having 1/2 bowlers who can bat a bit after that.

I think Jadeja can be a really good option for tests as he has a lot of maturity both in his bowling and batting, and he is a tremendous fielder aswell. But i think there should be a toss up between Jadeja and Irfan for tests, I would edge in favour of Irfan because Irfan has the experience and is getting his rhythm back and his batting technique is a plus, Jadeja should be preferred on wickets that offer more turn and Irfan can be handy outside the subcontinent.

And Dhoni should bat at number 6 because the second new ball is not letting MSD play his natural game, he should get enough time to settle and play his natural game, he averages 58 at number 6.

I never really got the criticism towards Jadeja. He seemed a really talented player. He had patience of a player beyond his age and experience and wasn't all smash and bash. Was it just because he wasn't suited to limited overs cricket?
He is good enough for the ODIs and tests,
but he batted at number 7 in ODIs,
in recent times, the players who have batted at number 7 has not performed really well and have been dropped, simply because the Indian top order is really very good, on good batting wickets, the number 7 batsmen hardly gets any overs to get his eye in and has to just hit out or get out,
and he has to bat early only on bowling wickets when top order crumbles.

Uthappa, Yusuf, Jadeja, etc. Most of the players who have batted at number 7 have got very difficult opportunities with the bat.

Jadeja can be a good option if he bats a bit higher in the batting order in ODIs,
but not at number 7, Uthappa and Yusuf are the best available for the number 7 slot as they can change the game from any situation. And you cannot expect an Indian number 7 to be consistent as he will get the most difficult chances with the bat.

Our management is crap, Jadeja is just an example, the current management has wasted a lot of talented players.

Last edited:

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
True

I can understand frustration of Indian fans over the defeat but that hardly warrants taking it out on Pakistan team and labeling them with things like Druggies and Match Fixers.

You are Right!

There was no need to start an Ind-Pak pissing match on this thread.

I am going to join a Club Cricket Team called "The Karachi Blues". Start a new era of friendship.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I think Jadeja can be a really good option for tests as he has a lot of maturity both in his bowling and batting, and he is a tremendous fielder aswell. But i think there should be a toss up between Jadeja and Irfan for tests, I would edge in favour of Irfan because Irfan has the experience and is getting his rhythm back and his batting technique is a plus, Jadeja should be preferred on wickets that offer more turn and Irfan can be handy outside the subcontinent.

And Dhoni should bat at number 6 because the second new ball is not letting MSD play his natural game, he should get enough time to settle and play his natural game, he averages 58 at number 6.

He is good enough for the ODIs and tests,
but he batted at number 7 in ODIs,
in recent times, the players who have batted at number 7 has not performed really well and have been dropped, simply because the Indian top order is really very good, on good batting wickets, the number 7 batsmen hardly gets any overs to get his eye in and has to just hit out or get out,
and he has to bat early only on bowling wickets when top order crumbles.

Uthappa, Yusuf, Jadeja, etc. Most of the players who have batted at number 7 have got very difficult opportunities with the bat.

Jadeja can be a good option if he bats a bit higher in the batting order in ODIs,
but not at number 7, Uthappa and Yusuf are the best available for the number 7 slot as they can change the game from any situation. And you cannot expect an Indian number 7 to be consistent as he will get the most difficult chances with the bat.

Our management is crap, Jadeja is just an example, the current management has wasted a lot of talented players.

Yeah number 7 was a silly place to put Jadeja. Cramming players in just anywhere isn't going to do anything. But there's clearly a talent in Jadeja and I hope he isn't wasted. I'd like to see him playing some test matches at a good position.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Anderson is a doubt? If he doesn't play I would like to see Finn make a come back. That man is a talent and he should be allowed to make his mark in the team. Bopara has one more chance. It's either this or the end of the road...there is a lot of pressure but Bopara has to take this chance.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
That is not a very good comment and it shows insensitivity to people who died in the 26/11 terrorist attack on Mumbai . After all English players were also their and would it have been "your" problem if something awful might have happened to any of the English players ? thankfully nothing happened to them.

:noway:noway
What the hell :facepalm

karan316

Banned
Yeah number 7 was a silly place to put Jadeja. Cramming players in just anywhere isn't going to do anything. But there's clearly a talent in Jadeja and I hope he isn't wasted. I'd like to see him playing some test matches at a good position.

Me too,
For ODIs,
I wish Yusuf Pathan is also handled well, he did really well in testing conditions in South Africa where other Indian batsmen weren't even able to defend the ball properly. He is unpredictable, but can tear any bowling lineup apart, can play on any wicket, hope he is developed into something big.
Also Uthappa, Dinesh Karthik and Irfan are good talents out of the players who are dropped recently. And we definitely have a lot of youngsters around,
hope the management makes some good moves.

Last edited:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
On the Swann thing the reason he was ripped apart is that the Indian batsmen couldn't play the seamers so were delighted to throw the bat at a spinner. He bowled well when India were trying to play test cricket and only got slogged when they had given up and were playing T20 style to entertain the crowd.

That is a weak argument at best. You expect bowler like Swann to take wickets and keep the run rate down. Indians took on Swann because they could. Not everyone can take Swann apart just coz he want to. You need the skills to do that.

What is the next away series for England? I hope it is in SC :p, Sri Lanka to be precise

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I would still like to go for Finn. He has performed well for England in the past and has a little extra edge for me, over Onions.

karan316

Banned
Dinesh Kartik
where did that come from ?

I think he has a lot of adaptibility in him as far as batting is concerned, he got his chances in bits and pieces and was dropped after just 1 bad series, he did really well in England aswell, he came in purely on the basis of his wicket keeping, but he improved a lot in his batting and is a terrific keeper.
Should have got a longer run in the team.

Not calling up Jaffar who was already in England when Gambhir was injured kind of surprised me. By forcing Dravid to open they disturbed the batting line up.

Agree with you.

He had his chances. There were some ODI's where he had a lot of overs to build an innings . But he could not grab the opportunity . Dhoni drew a lot of flak because of Jadeja.

Like i told you, batting at number 7 in Indian lineup is too tough, most of the times you are in only for a few overs and when the pitch supports the bowlers you find yourself in the middle in just the 25th over at times.

I think Iqbal Abdulla has a bit to prove with the bat, you cannot pick him right now though his bowling is quite good. But Jadeja and Irfan are very good both with bat and ball.

Irfan has proven himself in international level.
Jadeja has a decent FC record as an all rounder, so he should get better opportunities to prove himself, both are good enough for tests I guess. One of them should be in the playing 11 as we need to have 5 bowlers to solve our bowling issues and the 5th bowler has to be an all rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread