Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

Mitch Marsh will probably get dropped if Watson is fit for the next match, but if Steve Smith gets a bat, he'd better pull his bloody finger out. Marsh jnr is chipping away at his 'bits and pieces' player role already.

Hopefully the selectors see sense, while I like Smith he isn't the one you want at 7. Mitch Marsh looks to be that guy, it's been a long time since we had a big hitter at 7 and the fact he bowls is a bonus too.

Well done to Aus.

SA batting dreadful for the third game in a row. What will it take for mister hudson and co to see the clear issues and draft in the most in form SA batsman?? Rudolph must come into this squad.

Well done to Aus.

SA batting dreadful for the third game in a row. What will it take for mister hudson and co to see the clear issues and draft in the most in form SA batsman?? Rudolph must come into this squad.

I'm hoping that they'll be better for the run-out but they really needed that match to be a 50 over one.

----------

Hopefully the selectors see sense, while I like Smith he isn't the one you want at 7. Mitch Marsh looks to be that guy, it's been a long time since we had a big hitter at 7 and the fact he bowls is a bonus too.

I'm also hoping that it was telling that they sent him out for the last over and that they didn't bowl Steve Smith at all. Mitchell Marsh does need a few balls to play himself in but he can accelerate fantastically and we do need a hitter down the order quite badly as Johnson is so unreliable. Though unreliable as he is, I'd bat him before Smith if they are going to continue to pick the leggie.

Steve Smith's record this year in T20 and ODI's is dead in the water.

I'd like to see a bit of an experiment with the batting line up. I'd love to see Jacques Rudolph back in as opener, which he should have kept years ago already.

Cummins doesn't look too bad. For an 18 year-old, he's a very exciting talent. Has Hilditch done a master-stroke with his last move? :spy

Didn't see the match last night - what was Cummins hitting on the speed gun? Cricinfo commentary was silent on speeds. It's fairly important for Cummins because the 2 things that will get him picked is youth and speed. Articles talk about 150kph for Cummins, but Siddle and Johnson get that number thrown at them occasionally as well, and both only very rarely hit that mark.

And on Steve Smith, yeah the cool thing to do is bag him right now, so let me join in...:D It's not his fault he's getting shoved in at #7 and not getting a bowl, the selectors really should be giving him a way to show his quality. Sure it's good experience playing international cricket, but it's also good experience playing Shield cricket around Australia. Long term planning for each player of talent should be a priority for the selectors. I just don't see how Smith gains much from his current usage, send him back to Shield and use M.Marsh as the work experience kid for the next year or 2. Then send Marsh back to Shield and replace him with the next big thing.

Didn't see the match last night - what was Cummins hitting on the speed gun? Cricinfo commentary was silent on speeds. It's fairly important for Cummins because the 2 things that will get him picked is youth and speed. Articles talk about 150kph for Cummins, but Siddle and Johnson get that number thrown at them occasionally as well, and both only very rarely hit that mark.

And on Steve Smith, yeah the cool thing to do is bag him right now, so let me join in...:D It's not his fault he's getting shoved in at #7 and not getting a bowl, the selectors really should be giving him a way to show his quality. Sure it's good experience playing international cricket, but it's also good experience playing Shield cricket around Australia. Long term planning for each player of talent should be a priority for the selectors. I just don't see how Smith gains much from his current usage, send him back to Shield and use M.Marsh as the work experience kid for the next year or 2. Then send Marsh back to Shield and replace him with the next big thing.

How do you think Steve Smith should be used to show his quality?

Still have to see the replay for that match but in the T20 he was hitting the high 140s when he felt like it. What's he'll do in the longer format is another question.

Steve Smith doesn't have quality. He's the jack of all trades, but the master of nothing.

Finally the selectors see since. Not thrilled with tsotsobe being the only third seamer in the squad. Wanted at least one of mcclaren, de wet, alexander or o'really in the squad.

Now hopefully the selectors don't do something silly and play harris instead of tahir.;)

Batting if ab is fit should be strong enough even with a longhish a tail.

How do you think Steve Smith should be used to show his quality?

Has to be Shield cricket. You can't hide a guy at #7 and not bowl him and expect just being on the field to magically improve his game. It's been good for him to be around the Aussie team, get a feel for international cricket etc. but now he needs to get a decent chance to improve. That's why I talk about a development plan. Mitch Marsh won't do much at #7 for Australia either and I hope he doesn't end up there for a long stint. Give him a short taste of international stuff and then give him some proper opportunites for WA.

One way to get Smith some overs would be to pick Hauritz or Lyon as the ODI spinner. That way Smith would get the ball when there are right handers in. At the moment the obsession with having guys that spin the ball away from the bat means that Smith is irrelevant with Doherty in the team. But changing spinners to give your 6th bowler more overs would be stupid - I'm just pointing out how little he does at the moment.

Steve Smith doesn't have quality. He's the jack of all trades, but the master of nothing.

We'll never know if he plays at #7 for Australia for the rest of his career. I'm not sure there's ever been a productive #7 for Aus. We kept Andrew Symonds in at #7 for the ODI team for 5-6 years before he ever did anything. Shane Watson was a little bit the same. Cameron White too. The #7 spot for Australia is never going to help much. The last time Smith spent some decent time in state cricket was 2009 and gosh darnit wouldn't you know he made 4 100s...I don't think Smith's a star or anything, but he's going to be useless if he's continued to be used in this way.

Steve smith is suffering from the allrounder's identity crisis.

For years Watson could neither command a place as a batsman or bowler and it really affected his confidence.

I think Smith has to make the call now on what to concentrate on. My view is that he should work on his legspin. There aren't too many quality leggies in Australia, whilst they have quite a few good batting prospects on the national selection frindge.

What does Steve Smith have to do, or not do to get dropped? I mean c'mon how is he in the best XI players in the country? Callum Ferguson scored a 110* today in the Ryobi Cup, which included a 65+ run partnership with Nathan Lyon to win the match. How is he not in the squad?

If Smith is going to play, I think they should give him a crack at batting no. 4. That way it gives him the opportunity to get himself in and make a score, where he's a hopeless no. 6/7 and can't score late runs. I'd have Mitch batting before him if it was in the last 10 overs.

Again a wicket of the first ball!! South Africa need a Rudolph in ODI side too

Users who are viewing this thread